- RIP, Swiss artist David Weiss (b.1946) of Fischli/Weiss: Rube Goldberg-ish video The Way Things Go (Der Lauf der Dinge) http://t.co/05DZynwH #
- RIP, Joe Muranyi (b. 1928), latter-day Dixieland clarinetist in Louis Armstrong’s band: http://t.co/5xUFnQiN, http://t.co/KrGmazuP #
- 17th Disquiet Junto project already has 2 new 1st-time participants: Biel, Switzerland’s @tobiasreber & NYC’s @clownfacee. #
- Somehow got a http://t.co/ygIzHsQ1 MBAir cover at Apple store in @soundcloud orange/grey today even though they’re not on the @acmemade site #
- Note from daycare today says my kid has started a band with two other kids. My kid turns 20 months on Monday. #
- The telltale pocket-fabric swish with which begins the semi-surreptitiously recorded bootleg of a lecture. #
- Anyone have any experience with the mailing-list services of http://t.co/abAJFrlp or http://t.co/2oFj6v4s? #
- Read my first Kindle Single: Jonathan Biss’ Beethoven’s Shadow. Pondering his informed critique of the shadow cast by recording equipment. #
- Wonderful! RT @tobiasreber: posted my 1st disquiet #junto contribution on soundcloud. glad I could finally participate http://t.co/0d6EsmUR #
- Downtown San Francisco is like a busker convention today. #
- Coldplay’s “Trouble” is Pink Floyd fan fiction. #
- Kickstart that! RT @mutagene: @disquiet we need noise canceling headphones that exploit shazam-like service to identify/suppress ambient pop #
- Familiarity even more than volume can make a song on a cafe’s in-house stereo soil the intended solitude of your headphones. #
- Disquiet Junto project 17: record the world around you; make a seamless transition to an existing song http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Instructions for the 17th Disquiet Junto project going out shortly to the email list and to the @SoundCloud group page. #
- Odd thing about Chicago’s elevated trains was hearing things like “now boarding” from blocks away without tracks or train in sight. #
- Jonathan Lethem name-checks Pete Fornatale, who died today, two pages into his Fear of Music book as an emblem of ephemeral pre-Google audio #
- RIP, DJ and rock chronicler Pete Fornatale (b. 1945). via @stevesilberman #
- Reworking my hotel static: RT @jmmy_kppl: Free Artificial Lawn Sample: AntiGravity Certification #4 [@disquiet’s radio] http://t.co/xdOxEvG4 #
- The compositional theme for this week’s Disquiet Junto will be “transition.” #
- About 24 hours until the next Disquiet Junto, Number 17. #
- No, my Google Drive isn’t on yet. #
- Can’t remember last time I heard the Modern Lovers’ “Roadrunner” on a radio. #
- The NEA’s underlying issue with games-as-art: games fall outside the art world’s financial model. Which is to games’ credit. #
- Speaking again with Markus Popp (aka Oval) tomorrow. If you have any questions, pass them my way. #
- I’d say more about the extent to which iOS’ UI fails to keep up with the rapid growth in apps, but I can’t remember which app has my notes. #
- The TV series Fringe is fan fiction about the weather patterns in San Francisco. #
- Thanks! RT @GuyBirkin: Discussion in @disquiet Junto is very healthy: 749 tracks, 340 comments. No other SoundCloud group has that ratio. #
- Talking Heads’ Fear of Music came out on my 13th birthday. I didn’t know it existed at the time. All I cared for was my TRS-80. #
- Talking Heads : Fear of Music, Remain in Light :: The Beatles : Rubber Soul, Revolver #
- Beginning to read Jonathan Lethem’s book on Talking Heads’ Fear of Music. #
- Wondering when/if a consumer-focused cloud price war will kick in, now that Google has finally unveiled its Drive structure. #
- When @soundcloud goes down, my site looks nekkid. #
- Many thanks to @sadlypanda for the videos of last week’s Disquiet Junto show in Chicago: http://t.co/LO1OyXWT #
- Week 16 of Disquiet Junto @soundcloud: 749 tracks, 170 contributors, 334 discussion items, 1 concert. Much more to come http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- MP3 of 4/19 Disquiet Junto Chicago concert now available http://t.co/jyku2XIx Context to be added on the Disquiet site tonight. #
- Painting at third-hand shop near my home. #415 http://t.co/IJOPC2Zo #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco on a sunny day, straight out of a Roger Corman disaster film. #
- So great. RT @debcha: Dug @disquiet post on ‘classical’ button on hotel radio: http://t.co/YpZRmIWB Relevant Sesame St: http://t.co/HptQuHZM #
- Thanks again to @cdmblogs @verge for covering the Disquiet projects Junto, LX(RMX) and Instagr/am/bient this past week. #
- Waking at home. Sounds are familiar. More welcome is not being sonically sealed, customary in hotel construction, from the world. #
- Woke to 34 tracks in 16th Disquiet Junto http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 and great discussion about the nature of back/foreground http://t.co/WRFtIOta. #
- The in-house music at Chipotle Grill and Virgin America always has me expecting a KCRW station ID break. #
- OK, Bluetooth novelty time is over. Would someone please make a simple, portable hardwired keyboard for tablets? #
- Back in San Francisco. #home #
- Our Virgin America plane from ORD to SFO is named Unicorn Chaser. #peaknerd #
- Got word the Chicago Disquiet Junto recordings are all cleaned up. I’ll have data today. Flying home to SF, and will upload soon as I can. #
- Indeed. Thanks, @jeffblagdon. RT @naotko: In case you missed, We’ve got theverge’d: http://t.co/Bvdkel51. #
- Welcome to Disquiet Junto first-timer @pasztor, from the UK: http://t.co/E5KZTWMV #
- Ooh, my typing in red. RT@boondesign: @salvagione Vessels A5 inked in Dutch Fireball @sfcb http://t.co/sig94eQE http://t.co/4cDxxNbH #
- The foliage in Chicago’s Millennium Park looks more like architectural-drawing foliage than anywhere else I have ever been. #
- Finally got to the Bean in Chicago’s Millennium Park. It’s like having Frank Quiteley draw your portrait. #
- Guy who posted video of Chicago Disquiet Junto show also posted Terence Davies, Barry Gifford, Keith Fullerton Whitman: http://t.co/i3tA04E6 #
- … And provided context to the static vis-à-vis Donald Moffit’s science-fiction novel The Jupiter Theft: http://t.co/SJcsT7Td. #
- The Internet means 78 people in 12 hours have listened to 18 seconds of radio static that I recorded: http://t.co/Yhdva67r. … #
- 10 shufflings of back/foreground so far in Disquiet Junto 16, including this one by (Chicagoan) 1st=timer StaticOceans: http://t.co/kKU2ACbN #
- Morning in Evanston hotel: airplane emerges from the droning of the HVAC. #
- Video of Jason (@cranksatori) Soliday with Michael Esposito from 4/19 Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/ARcRzYTZ (expanded glass harmonica) #
- Video from Jason @cinchel Shanley’s performance at the 4/19 Disquiet Junto show: http://t.co/o8B5NAy8 (expanded glass harmonica) #
- From poem by Wes Tank read at the 4/19 Junto concert: “i’m inventing a month called ‘revember’/where there’s reverb on every life sound” #
- The radio in my hotel room is leaking sounds from the future: http://t.co/YpZRmIWB #
- Olfactory art installation by @salvagione on 4/22 at Marin Headlands; @boondesign card features my essay. Details: http://t.co/wQpmTVem. #
- Honking outside my Evanston hotel at 9:20pm seems to be Morse code for some manner of sports victory. Or a wedding. #
- Videos of Vapor Lanes’ two pieces from 4/19 Disquiet Junto show at Enemy in Chicago: http://t.co/VeNVXZk5 http://t.co/iZQFkBsa #
- Excellent. RT @ethanhein: New track for junto — beats made from sandpaper, abstract percussion from rolling dice. http://t.co/bmkat17l #
- In our generative-music future, Record Store Day will be Fixed-Recording Day, MP3s included. #
- Parenting pro tip, toddler edition: get a hotel near a public library. #
- Sticker from Jeff Kolar’s Radius broadcast in Chicago. http://t.co/rgRftlU0 #
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice