- I wonder if my whole interest in drones has to do with the 13-year-old me wishing the opening notes of Yes’ Fragile would go on forever. #
- Incredible sonic moire outside Old Navy in downtown San Francisco between store-entrance stereo speakers and drumming busker. #
- PR email received for band whose picture, artfully, doesn’t show faces. No description of music, just links to streaming services. #
- I suspect @tinyletter may have held up the Disquiet Junto email because it had three embedded links. Spam red flag. #
- The Disquiet Junto email just seems to have been received, even though it was sent yesterday afternoon by @tinyletter. #odd #
- We email a lot with our neighbors. I don’t miss the continuous phone ringing that was the soundscape of my childhood. #
- Yojiro Imasaka’s inspiring photo of an alley: http://t.co/bLprwyAs. It’s the graphic score Disquiet Junto musicians interpret this week. #
- The gritty-spectral background photo, by Yojiro Imasaka, for my Twitter page serves as a graphic score in the new Disquiet Junto project. #
- Instructions for 19th Disquiet Junto are now live: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9. Project due this Monday at 11:59pm, wherever you are. #
- “rojiura” is a Japanese word for alley #
- Disquiet Junto project #19 involving graphic notation, to go live (and out to email) momentarily. #
- Found ¥10,700 in my (San Francisco) desk drawer, from my most recent (2009) Japan trip. Maybe Kinokuniya will let me pay for pens with it. #
- 19th Disquiet Junto project begins in a few hours. Join the 154 members of the announcement email list at http://t.co/f2aaVTe0 #
- Nicely put. RT @artofplanning: Commissioning, not interrupting. RT @disquiet: Rhythms of the yard by Diego Stocco:http://t.co/xLSFLESl. #
- RT @DETXL: Listening to v.90 modem negotiate connection is oddly soothing. (1998-me would beg to differ. Via ICQ, no doubt, if phone’s free) #
- Signed up to check out the “next” SoundCloud. Looking forward to checking it out. #
- Received the Japanese and Turkish translations of the instructions to this week’s Disquiet Junto project. #graphicnotation #
- #harmonica #graffiti #stencil #415 http://t.co/V3awi5YG #
- What I imagine Christian Marclay’s door looks like. (Actually a bathroom in the Haight.) http://t.co/2VqBX8gW #
- Background on graphic notation in advance of the next Disquiet Junto: http://t.co/gOohgvS5 + http://t.co/qTwGQPeK + http://t.co/wkbvGvcN #
- Classical/opera record labels really need to engage with @soundhound & @shazam to beef up their recognition software. #
- Having grown up with comics in the 1970s I’m darn happy about the Avengers’ success, but I was more of a Defenders/X-Men kid. #
- Mac OS X 10.7.4 update is 729.6 MB but won’t install because system tells me it needs 3.65 GB of space to download and install the update. #
- PR for group whose music alternates between “electronics” and “harmonies” — because, you know, there’s nothing harmonic about electronics. #
- My favorite music video game is the interactive spinning beach ball you get to play with when using iTunes. #
- The image accompanying this story about $87-million Rothko painting should accompany a New Yorker story by Don DeLillo: http://t.co/W2N3xN4E #
- Today: writing, call, call, conference call, sausage at Rosamunde Grill, writing #
- The netlabel proprietor & musician @leonrosado had his laptop stolen. Consider helping him buy a new one: http://t.co/sJHeRA8G in reply to leonrosado #
- Denver/Boulder Disquiet Junto concert in mid-August is gaining steam. Details as they come into focus — to mix metaphors. #
- Writing a bit about manga — which is to say, about telenovelas and jazz. #
- Adding a little @touchmusic to the afternoon birds/bugs/wind/cars/foghorn mashup. #
- Afternoon sounds: seagulls and other birds, bees, foghorns, muted surf of automobile traffic, wind, breeze-blown bushes/trees. #
- Neglected backyard for first 20 months of our 20-month-old’s life. That’s now corrected. Backyard looks/smells/sounds great. Foghorns agree. #
- If you live in the Richmond District and work from home and are not working outside today, consider doing so. #415 #
- Dear @idontlikewords, Please combine automated text-to-voice reading of @TheAtlantic blog posts with field recordings of urban noise. #
- Looking for lead (Python) developer http://t.co/iUxEwKHP + part-time systems engineer: http://t.co/vWRuICiV #virtualoffice #competitivepay #
- Tuesday noon siren on clear day in San Francisco, multiple speakers echoing each other like some of Philip Jeck’s turntables. #
- Advance word(s) on this coming Thursday’s Disquiet Junto project (#19): alley / 路地裏 / ろじうら / rojiura. #
- It was only last week, I think, I’d read our child, now 20 months, a Sendak book for the first time: Night Kitchen. Dough airplanes FTW. #
- Planned on working to music but the foghorns are especially beautiful and mournful today, noble beasts who lost their leader. #
- Thursday’s Disquiet Junto, project No. 19, will ask participations to interpret a provided photograph as if it were a graphic notation score #
- Rhythms of the yard by Diego Stocco: http://t.co/xLSFLESl. A Burt’s Bees commission. (Mostly for @artofplanning @boondesign.) #
- Tears before bedtime. RIP, children’s book author Maurice Sendak (b. 1928): http://t.co/CP2kvAS5 #
- All you bleeding-edge types playing with Mountain Lion: does Desktop Spaces work rationally now, or is it still not ready for primetime? #
- It’d be nice if AirPlay mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion let you use the iPad (fluidly) as a second monitor. #
- Er, that was: if you would like to help translate Disquiet Junto projects into languages other than English, lemme know. #
- Instructions to Disquiet Junto 19 have gone to translators. Glad to be back on multi-lingual schedule. If want to help translate lemme know. #
- 37 Disquiet Junto pieces in response to project #18 with just a few hours until midnight: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Jukebox at the Hemlock confirmed for me that South of Heaven is my favorite Slayer album. #
- Yeah, we’re talking about a possible Disquiet Junto concert in Denver/Boulder this August. #
- There’s lots of ways to draw a cloud, but the @amazon cloud silhouette looks a lot like the @soundcloud cloud backwards. #
- “Drone in G Major for Sinewaves, Wind and Bubblewrap”: http://t.co/fUsQmvrx #
- 33 entries so far in 18th Disquiet Junto, including a bunch by 1st-timers. Excellent, subtle background listening: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Raisins and almond slivers are my new jam. #
- One of the next Disquiet Junto projects will be: graphic scores. Details TK. #
- Genius when song breaks for train to pass overhead. #ripmca RT @audiation: So good. So sad. RT @questlove: Style http://t.co/CXoOZIJD #
- Haven’t seen Avengers yet but am hopeful there’s evidence of Nick Fury not aging, which will let Samuel Jackson be both Fury & Enoch Root. #
- RT @TheValiska: This week’s Junto submissions are especially wonderful. The 3 parts in transition offer some really interesting compositions #
- Confused by numerous Mad Men / Chemical Brothers tweets, but looking forward to sorting it out when I watch the episode later this week. #
- “Noises are important. Noises can tell you everything.” —Sherlock Holmes, season 2, episode 1. #
- The Disquiet Junto just got its 800th track and 180th participant, all in 18 weeks: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Today’s best sound gadget: turkey caller (wood, glass) in Berkeley hills. At least one wild turkey replied. #
- Welcome! RT @shredderghost: 1st track made for @disquiet group, Upwelling [disquiet0018 3×3]. Slow ambient tidal force. http://t.co/QQJOJttx #
- Of generic cloud syncs only Dropbox plays music from browser. Microsoft/Google/SugarSync > download. Box costs to sync. Amazon doesn’t sync. #
- Correction: Amazon’s cloud desktop app allows uploads, but doesn’t appear to do true sync. #
- Of major generic syncing clouds, only Dropbox & Amazon play music from browser. Microsoft/Google/SugarSync -> download. Box costs to sync. #
- RIP, classical violinist Zvi Zeitlin (b. 1922), modernist champion, Eastman Trio cofounder: http://t.co/TKk91Lhl #
- So glad you had the time. RT @ethanhein: New @disquiet Junto entry: Thelonious Monk meets Pac-Man meets Led Zeppelin. http://t.co/qyEBGP6P #
- Perfect opportunity to fiddle. RT @TheValiska: @disquiet Junto submission: http://t.co/8gME4K30 trying to figure out Izotope’s Iris synth #
- RIP, David Bowman (b. 1957), who wrote a lot for me in the mid-1990s:… #
- Parenting question: Does a pocket calculator count as screen time? #
- Associating a domain with Google Apps actually taking time to process. Not used to this. It’s like 1996, minus the fax sound. #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice