- Spending the day just me and my 20-month-old. Will be wandering around @artmrkt, among other places. #
- Four more now: @nodebeat + (1) keyboard, (2) Moog Slim Phatty, (3) drone pad, and (4) piano: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- My one regret about my Macbook Air is I shoulda gone with the larger harddrive. Didn’t realize at the time it’d become my core computer. #
- All in all, I got a brick in the mail from @primusluta. #
- The first three @NodeBeat Disquiet Junto pieces pair the mobile sound app with a ukulele, a guzheng, and a sitar: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- You’re a dreamer. RT @mmaddencomics: “There’s some very thoughtful dubstep behind this blog”; “Wiley revitalizes curating on his new single” #
- 1st @NodeBeat track in latest Disquiet Junto project is up, courtesy of @ethanhein + his processed ukulele http://t.co/Iny6uyLO #
- “It’s refreshing to hear a curate track that doesn’t have a drop.” “They’re hiring someone to dubstep a blog of found objects.” #
- Perfect. RT @primusluta: Headed out to this gallery my friend dubstepped. Hopefully there’ll be wine and good headnoding curation. #
- “That new Burial remix is true curate.” “I’m dubstepping 18th-century leather wallets on my Tumblr.” #
- The words “dubstep” and “curate” are so overused, we should just use them interchangeably. #
- Not a speaker. (Bathroom fan.) http://t.co/ICf6NrGN #
- Blade Runner 2: The Batty Rises #bladerunner2titles #
- Instructions for current Disquiet Junto, involving the great @NodeBeat app, available in English, Spanish, and Turkish: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Discussion about best way to record from sound apps, including @nodebeat: http://t.co/WRFtIOta #
- Blade Runner 2: You Don’t Know Dick #bladerunner2titles #
- Blade Runner 2: No You Replicant #bladerunner2titles #
- The 20th weekly Disquiet Junto project instructions are now live: http://t.co/XdRJsrQ9 #
- Instructions for the 20th Disquiet Junto, which employs the @NodeBeat app, going out shortly. Email list is at http://t.co/f2aaVTe0. #
- Belated (my kid’s on spring break from daycare) RIP: disco’s Donna Summer (b. 1948), go-go’s Chuck Brown (b. 1936). #
- Instructions will be out shortly but in meanwhile Disquiet Junto regulars test-drive @nodebeat: http://t.co/0pPXoQBk http://t.co/pUq3qMP4 #
- Few more hours until instructions to 20th weekly Disquiet Junto project go out. This week: creative restraints of a mobile app (@nodebeat). #
- Reminder: I have free download codes for @NodeBeat iOS app, the focus of the 20th Disquiet Junto project, due for announcement later today. #
- I miss http://t.co/OIi75NEu. #
- Sent an email out earlier to the Disquiet Junto email list. I mention this since they often end up in spam folders. #
- Paging @robsheff @mrgavinedwards @tedfriedman @juliandibbell: Cutler’s is closing: http://t.co/noe5ZMiM #
- Great moments in education. RT @xeni: YOU GUYS. Go-Go is not the Go-Gos. Go-Go is not go-go dancing. Go-Go is, was, DC, Chuck Brown … #
- NodeBeat: free in Flash; under 4 bucks otherwise. I have 50 free iOS codes (half iPhone/Touch, half iPad). Will go first to Junto regulars. #
- The 20th Disquiet Junto will employ the app NodeBeat, available for iOS, Android, Blackberry and (with limited functionality) Flash. #
- Gonna announce the app that the 20th Junto is based on early, so that folks can have time to come up to speed on it, or at least install it. #
- 20th Disquiet Junto is about mobile apps. … Forthcoming projects: animation, storytelling, electricity, water, performance, the blues. #
- RIP, Bruno Mauro, of Ampersand International Arts, the fine San Francisco art gallery. Via http://t.co/ahTaaCxT. #
- Seriously can’t believe we’re about to do the 20th (!) weekly Disquiet Junto project. Just amazing: 849 tracks by 190 musicians in 19 weeks. #
- Disquiet Junto 20 project going out to translators shortly. Have: Czech/Turkish/Japanese/Spanish/French. Want: Korean, Chinese, others. #
- I know it’s 2012 and all, but there’s still a certain frisson to receiving raw code in body of an email as part of a reply to a job opening. #
- Fundamentals of Respiratory Care and Zombies. #
- Steve Jobs bust addendum: Collector only spoke Chinese. Someone at restaurant helped me explain the hobby shop across the street has glue. #
- Guy at lunch had box on table. When bill came he accidentally pushed it off the table. Opened it to reveal broken porcelain Steve Jobs bust. #
- Guy in cafe did not have a holster. It was an empty Baby Bjorn under his windbreaker. #
- My browser has so many favicon-emblazoned tabs open, it looks like I’ve installed the Nascar extension. #
- RT @cinchel: @disquiet ooh..glad there is an Android app. [This is the first app-based Disquiet Junto. I wanted it catholic/cross-platform.] #
- RT @gregsurges: @disquiet What app is it? [I’m going to wait until later tonight or tomorrow to announce the app.] #
- Disquiet Junto 20 launches mañana. I have 25 free iPhone/Touch & 25 free iPad codes. Android app costs $2. Limited desktop version is free. #
- Scent-infused Vessels from Paolo Salvagione’s current Headlands exhibit. http://t.co/vhzuoCbr #
- Hoping robots gain sentience soon so they can demand that USB-host support for all gadgets is a right not a privilege. #
- In OS X, the menubar for “mute” is speaker w/o image of sound coming out, but the screen image is of speaker with slash through it. Discuss. #
- Interested in this gang-written book (including @ibogost) on “the way computer programs exist in culture”: http://t.co/Pw8rcBCw #
- Great interview this morning with Monolake. Much to reflect on: installations, recording, software, art, teaching, 3D, business, programming #
- Humor of being on email list for org famed for new-media tech, yet it’s the same old everyone-requesting-unsubscription pileup. #
- Successfully guessed someone’s cafe location based on music they’d tweeted. #geoshazam #
- Increasingly enthused for next Disquiet Junto project. It’s the 20th week in a row, and the first to focus on a mobile app. #
- Indeedy. RT @cinchel: i know @disquiet was excited about Disquiet0013-wildup but the interpretations of photo are great http://t.co/NLmiA4Gn #
- Suspicious about uptick in emails from SoundCloud users. Probably just passed a “followers threshold” but wondering about automation/PR. #
- Tuesday noon siren while listening to conference-call hold music. #
- Interviewing Monolake tomorrow. If you have questions lemme know. My previous interview (c. 2004) here: http://t.co/vqUTBsJk #
- This London-based crew the Grind http://t.co/VBvgCc0u remind me favorably of Tommy Guerrero in his home-studio tinkerer mode. #
- Museum in Tasmania provides visitors with iPod Touch containing exhibit-specific music: http://t.co/N6KaP7sX #
- This Thursday’s Disquiet Junto project will be No. 20. The theme is everyone employing (roughly) the same software application. #
- About half a day left in the 19th Disquiet Junto. So far, 24 tremendous interpretations of a photo as a graphic score: http://t.co/lSzqLIp5 #
- Can’t wait to hear. RT @arbeemonkey: finally found the twist I want to use for this week’ Junto. Will try to execute my idea before deadline #
- Mallets, pipes, and shadows at kids’ sound sculptures at Dolores Park. http://t.co/MLR0NG7I #
- Xylophone for kids at Dolores Park. #415 http://t.co/fFNDppAv #
- RIP, Donald “Duck” Dunn (b. 1941), bassist in Booker T and the MGs, and on countless Stax sessions. #
- It appears that @orenambarchi has joined Twitter. #
- Photography-as-score: Already 13 Junto musical interpretations (at http://t.co/lSzqLIp5) of Yojiro Imasaka’s photo (at http://t.co/bLprwyAs) #
- Repeat tweet: Graphic notation background for folks in current Disquiet Junto http://t.co/gOohgvS5 http://t.co/qTwGQPeK http://t.co/wkbvGvcN #
- Not a speaker. (First in a likely series.) http://t.co/yV63yaFM #
- Serious sound-art opening with fish-fry contact-mic performance tonight @Parklifesf #
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
spacebox720: "Hi, I’m spacebox720 and i stumbled over your article. I really enjoyed and would like to say..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice