- Congrats to @aQuariusrecOrds for the 400th edition of its weekly-ish email newsletter. #
- Instagr/am/bient Index: @soundcloud (33,800 listens), @freemusicarchiv (12,928 downloads, 4,987 listens), @internetarchive (2,765 downloads) #
- Nix that last summary of Instagr/am/bient listens and downloads. I mixed up the @freemusicarchiv numbers. Repost in a second. #
- Instagr/am/bient Index: @soundcloud (33,800 listens), @freemusicarchiv (12,928 listens, 4987 downloads), @internetarchive (2765 downloads) #
- Industrial Mondrian: Ceiling tiles such as these generally are accompanied by a major HVAC hum. http://t.co/rwLULb3x #
- “Indiscriminate Sound” by Mauricio Ancalmo. Part of exhibit at Park Life gallery in San Francisco. http://instagr.am/p/Lluo4rrIjI/ #
- Very pleased with @instagram implementation on Disquiet-dot-com sidebar. I’m @dsqt on @instagram. #
- Not a speaker. (Unidentified device on bathroom wall at cafe.) http://t.co/C0Xe9X7l #
- Disquiet Junto Index: 22 weeks, 22 projects, 950 tracks, 200 participants, 191 email-list members, 499 discussion posts:… #
- Each week the Disquiet Junto proposes a project to musicians. Week 23: a “palindrome of drones.” Subscribe at http://t.co/f2a6ojd6. #
- This is good. Latest OS X version quietly (get it?) brought back OPTION+SHIFT incremental volume control: http://t.co/tgh8g33r #
- Car alarm triggers dog barking. It’s sonic Rube Goldberg here in the Richmond District. #
- A sound diary is about reflecting as much as it is about recording. #
- #tapememory RT @floyd_kelley: @disquiet Denon Metal were the way to go (at $5 a pop) #
- When I commissioned the Instagr/am/bient album I was an @instagram skeptic. Now I post daily (dsqt) and just added sidebar view to Disquiet. #
- #tapememory During college recorded interview with Ladysmith Black Mambazo on Emmylou Harris tape. Result: unintended/unintelligible mashup #
- #tapememory MT @entroporium: Arguing passionately with friends about best recording practices. Normal Bias with Dolby C was the way to go. #
- #tape RT @entroporium I worked in stereo store, used my cassettes as demos. Frequently people hit REC, creating phantom dropouts in my music #
- #tapememory MT @taylordeupree: homemade compilations from college radio with song beginning cut off as i scrambled to ready the recorder. #
- Biked to ocean for first time in too long. Intense wind. Sand like little daggers. Birds fly in place. #
- Yeah, it’s 2012, which means out of the blue you might get an IM from a Polish musician as (their) midnight approaches. Life is good. #
- Slow fizz echoing from inside this soda can on my desk has me constantly wondering if it’s started to drizzle outside. #
- Among the many pleasures of Clone Wars is James Arnold Taylor channeling Ewan McGregor channeling Alec Guinness. #
- Received many cassette-sound memories. If you have more lemme know. I may compile them into a post (cf. http://t.co/Xqe2hvTG). #
- Realizing I entirely missed the San Francisco Tuesday noon siren yesterday. Was on bus listening to advance of new Keith Fullerton Whitman. #
- #rewind #tapes MT @empire_of_dust: I’ll always remember sound they made, and how it changed when it was near the end, so I knew it was ready #
- RIP, Platters’ Herb Reed (b. 1928). Fave Platters nod: how Nick Lowe sings/produces the word “pretender” in “What’s Shakin’ on the Hill.” #
- O.G. Respect to Steve Jackson. http://t.co/O8cAVRZS #
- This Ogre Kickstarter success is insane. I’m hoping for a G.E.V. repeat. #
- The sense memory of just how long it takes to rewind a cassette. #
- Nostalgia for home taping is enlivening music. #
- RIP, Ray Bradbury (b. 1920). http://t.co/aoGiCi4Z #
- Honored that @cakemusic earlier today forwarded my Jaron Lanier / Gadget thoughts to its readers: http://t.co/4gOmNfVT #
- Masses of honking outside city hall in San Francisco. Protest? Wedding? Protest about weddings? #
- 23rd Disquiet Junto project will focus on drones (sonic sort, not hovering militaristic sort). The 24th will focus on functional music. #
- Indeed. RT @GlennF: “Kurt Cobain wouldn’t have been hawking his Kickstarter campaign”: motto of someone not getting it. http://t.co/WmTvQWIo #
- “It’s like 4:33 24/7 with you.” Wonderful comment on the Disquiet Facebook page just now. https://t.co/GrFBswkU #
- Morning sounds: refrigerator drone, distant traffic, intermittent pings (email/IM/DM), occasional house creaking. #
- The lead track off the Fernando Pessoa–themed remix project LX(RMX) is nearing 1,000 listens: https://t.co/jOjXHBLs. #
- Disquiet Junto live concert planned for Denver on Aug. 19. Shoot me a note if you’re interested in participating or attending. #
- Perfect produce for the Fluxus “Make a Salad” performance work. http://t.co/rcjNjPGA #
- Just a note that I have never thought not to caption one of my Instagram uploads. http://t.co/3xsNjPid #
- Mass emails thanking you for something you didn’t do really push PR insincerity to a new level. #
- I’d like a @personinterest skin for @soundcloud. #
- We haven’t had a straight-up shared-sample Disquiet Junto project in awhile. If anyone has thematic or source suggestions, lemme know. #
- Few things please the ear like the rattle of a shoebox short-order diner. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union. • 0243 / Synth Trial / The Assignment: Share the best track from your audition tape for Blade Runner 2.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice