- Proposed slightly alternate universe: One in which Max/MSP is named after Max Neuhaus. #
- SoundCloud’s new, multi-account-based sets are my new jam. #
- 3 hrs, 3 mins & 32 secs of drones by 38 musicians based on shared sample set: http://t.co/py7BEIgt, thanks to new @soundcloud “sets”… #
- Disquiet Junto project 24 has gone to the group’s email list and been posted at http://t.co/XdREURGZ. Theme: functional sound. #
- It makes weirdly too much sense that Billy Campbell is half Billy Crudup and half Campbell Scott. #
- Remain convinced the best thing about Apple OS is that its orderliness and elegance encourage same in its users. #
- Between Quakers and the new David Byrne / St. Vincent, something is going on with all this brass band music, and it’s quite welcome. #
- If I’m reading correctly, the “next” @SoundCloud indeed provides ability to create sets, which will be a great way to compile Junto projects #
- On morning of day we’re due to start Disquiet Junto project about sonic alerts I mistook a crow’s call for an unfamiliar laptop/phone alarm. #
- Generally speaking, I am Con-metheus. #
- Intrigued by these enhanced @soundcloud tweets mentioned at http://t.co/oj5NXE04 but haven’t come across one yet. #
- Disquiet’s email newsletter moved to http://t.co/zOp3jD7v. (If you were already subscribed, then you’re on it.) Members: 1,231 and counting. #
- First time since 2010 I was gonna give @emusic a serious look, and the website is down. #
- Theme for 24th Disquiet Junto project, which starts tomorrow, is a suite of sonic alerts. It’s about functional music/sound. #
- I do fear the music was etched in my brain. MT @sbb: @disquiet More of a public performance issue. Where are ASCAP & BMI when you need them? #
- Perhaps someone from the RIAA could be of service in stopping this individual on the bus from singing along with his iPod? #
- At a bar downtown. We may need to do a cocktail-shaker revisit of the first Junto project. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco. “This this is is a a test test.” Relative distance between speakers produces echo effect. #
- Today’s soundtrack will be a neighboring backyard being rid of its concrete. #
- In just 23 weeks and 23 projects, the Disquiet Junto is just 14 tracks shy of its 1000th: http://t.co/4GCCxoUv #
- What if @EganGoonSquad‘s “Black Box” short story from @NYerFiction were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- MT @_TheOrdinary_: Peal of thunder starts to east of me, decrescendos towards west, passing directly overhead and lasting a good 1/2 minute. #
- Kinda relieved the new Macbook Airs aren’t a significant upgrade on the model I have (“mid 2011”). #
- Not a speaker. (Sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/LSmbuPk0 #
- Chimes in the elephant habitat at the Oakland Zoo. Sadly, no recital today. http://t.co/XNhkdsQS #
- Quiet time at the Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/VxehZnZL #
- Recently began watching Downton Abbey. Great how the score’s Glassy minimalism insistently projects the pressure and momentum of modernity. #
- What if Jennifer Egan’s New Yorker short story “Black Box” were a Barbara Kruger installation: http://t.co/j5UWHxbb. #
- Every time the main theme plays in Prometheus, which is quite often, I expect the Starship Enterprise to fly overhead. #
- The beauty of the “palindrone” is how it encourages a listener’s attention to form in a format that is often formless: http://t.co/gYJjWWiW #
- Lovely object “Thank You for Listening” by Amber Jean Young. Exhibit opens tonight at http://t.co/3AcK5LRq in San Francisco. #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice