- Nexus 7 has USB host support. Hopeful for good cabled keyboard. Nice for plane use where Bluetooth remains largely (to my knowledge) banned. #
- “AWS went down” is the new “Dog ate my homework.” #
- First two unconsumed/upcycled/recycled tracks are up in @djunto project #26 http://t.co/cCgetfBD #
- Grand. MT @DETXL: Rain falls like standing ovation for thunderstorm playing itself out above my head. The week bests itself at the 11th hour #
- Spent evening in a home only to learn the development had decades ago been a field. Down the block had been a great music venue, now gone. #
- .@Moldilox Re-upload is the new reissue. in reply to Moldilox #
- One of the two radio stations where I have DJ’d. http://t.co/3ZIHhW86 #
- Nothing says “quiet” like an exclamation point! http://t.co/6KkBjQvU #
- UC Davis is so White Noise. #
- Life is a DJ. MT @markrushtoncom: live drone mix: severe thunderstorm warning sirens, central air, cicada, home construction backup beep #
- Mobile Internet video proves its value when I pull up the CHiPS theme song after a motorcycle cop passes us on I-80. #
- Excellent @djunto news. Aug 19 concert. MT @DaveSeidel: Oh boy, going to Denver in August to play music! Details in the fullness of time. #
- Passing giant, stacked bales of hay in Marin. Against the hazy blue sky, they’re like nothing so much as a Minecraft landscape. #
- Ryuichi Sakamoto is among the 176 new invitees to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Full list here: http://t.co/xPsohYD9 #
- One thing the Nexus 7 has that the Kindle Fire doesn’t: a microphone. #
- Library sounds: rattling keys of passing handyman, pervasive HVAC, distant hushed and less-than-hushed voices. #
- “My life is in a hurry.” “You don’t have a life.” Teenagers running and talking in library. #
- Urban scale. Building scale. Gallery scale. A night at Arup in San Francisco. #
- Detail of magnetic drone sculpture by Oliver DiCicco on display at Arup. http://t.co/NkTWLYSC #
- MUNI FM http://t.co/fb6QI5Wc #
- “Listen to a building before it is built.” Spending the evening at Arup. #
- The 26th weekly Disquiet Junto is about making music from the stuff in your garbage pail. Instructions at http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Disquiet Junto project 26 instructions available in 7 (!) languages. Going out to the email list and the @SoundCloud group shortly. #
- Google Glasses are neat. All I want, though, is my regular glasses to ping me with a tiny light for priority emails/calls/events/etc. #
- Increasingly believe Count Zero is @GreatDismal‘s most crystalline book. Been re-reading it. Keep getting in, then starting again to savor. #
- I’m teaching a course on sounds of brands / brands of sounds at Academy of Art in San Francisco this fall. Will share details/syllabus soon. #
- Font query: looking for a Consolas/Menlo-style (fixed-width) typeface that is slightly worn/abraded. #
- Finished Dyer’s book on Stalker. Very enjoyable. Old-school cinephile post-Internet somewhat like the Stalinist after the fall of the wall. #
- An iPad isn’t necessarily a cultural impediment to consuming a physical book. Last night it was a makeshift light when my lamp blew a bulb. #
- I interviewed classical composer Liza White about absorbing electronic music and hip-hop into her music: http://t.co/cjqituSU #
- Dear Gadget Hive: Does Nexus 7 have “traditional” homescreen widgets/icons or is it an always-on storefront like Kindle Fire? #
- Listening to the Colorist album again, The Fastest Way to Become the Ocean. #
- Confessions of a Neal Stephenson semi-completist: Didn’t like Reamde, will still read Some Remarks. #
- A cellphone isn’t necessarily a cultural impediment to consuming a physical book. It provides illumination in a dark café, for example. #
- Disquiet Junto this week, focused on compos(t)ing/unconsumption, will include a Croatian translation (courtesy of Darko Macan). #
- The theme for the 26th weekly Disquiet Junto project will be recycling/unconsuming/upcycling. #
- This week’s Disquiet Junto project will be its 26th, marking the year’s midway point. #
- Occasional reminder. If you do the Facebook, there’s a http://t.co/Yh8y3liM page for that: http://t.co/RaNpMcQc. #
- Wondering why of the 2 USB ports on my Macbook Air (mid-2011 edition) only the right one is recognized as charging my iPad 2. #
- Up in Sonoma for the day, way too far from San Francisco to hear the Tuesday noon alert. #
- 12 composers made 42 minutes of music based on a shared set of ringtones and other sonic alerts: http://t.co/lyYXBCjv #
- Less intrigued by the retina screen than I would have been by a lighter power cord. #
- So far I am majorly majorly digging Geoff Dyer’s Zona. Majorly. It’s one of those books that the further I read it, the more I slow my pace. #
- A cellphone isn’t necessarily a cultural impediment to consuming a physical book. It makes a good paperweight, for example. #
- A bad cut on one’s index finger is a far more debilitating thing than it had been in our pre-touchscreen, pre-mousepad era. #
- I have 5 invites to art.sy that I can share, if anyone’s interested. #
- It’s fitting that Reamde’s penultimate sequence focuses on two individuals walking a long distance: one wounded, the other on autopilot. #
- RIP, Anthony Schulte (b. 1930), “early proponent of audiobooks”: http://t.co/6ALSAmGD #
- RIP, Frances W. Preston (b. 1928), former president and chief executive of BMI: http://t.co/wrDo0WAu #
- Piano rolls 2/2. http://t.co/RMdWmJD6 #
- Piano rolls 1/2. http://t.co/HnZCal9i #
- Every time an “RPG” is mentioned in Neal Stephenson’s Reamde, I imagine someone is throwing the Dungeon Master’s Handbook at someone else. #
- Making chili. Drone of stove’s fan pairs with that of washing machine, the latter muted by wall. #
- Not a speaker. (Hole in concrete at Academy of Science.) http://t.co/XGbZ1pji #
5 Most Recent Comments
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
reis: "Thanks Super enjoyed this atmospheric masterwork. Love your review …it gains mass detail as it moves..."
Markian Volkov: "That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups?..."
Monsterovich: "https://soundcloud.com/losttal entgroup Join us if you want normal groups back. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0248 / Galactic Tick / Celebrate the new celestial holiday in music. • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat. • 0244 / Euro Mixin / The Assignment: Combine tracks from three different European netlabels (Portugal, Spain, Switzerland) into one sonic union.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice