- RIP, soprano Evelyn Lear (b. 1926), acclaimed interpreter of Alban Berg: http://t.co/QPq7kh1A #
- Bonus: along with http://disquiet.com being newly mobile/tablet-responsive, comments will be a whole lot tidier. Likely live this weekend. #
- Blogger’s Remorse: Is a separate topic-specific @tumblr necessary, or should it just be a tag on your existing site? #
- Super close to mobile/tablet-optimized http://disquiet.com. (Main site looks the same. Changes are all about device-based responsiveness.) #
- New @tumblr I’ve got going, collecting links re: the “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” class I’m teaching: http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m #
- Filed article with British magazine on the Fourth of July. Felt vaguely traitorous. #
- The 27th Disquiet Junto project instructions have gone to the email list + are live at the @soundcloud page http://t.co/IjQw7mvf #
- Lesson from last night about fireworks and perception: loudness doesn’t equal proximity; detail equals proximity. #
- Indeed. LED fireworks: world’s first reusable. RT @ioflow: @disquiet nah, LED fireworks are The New Thing. #
- Outboard-brain side-project related to “Sounds of Brands / Brands of Sounds” class I’m teaching: http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m. #
- These new CFL fireworks are cool, but I miss the incandescent ones. #
- The music to the new Spider-Man makes Prometheus seem subtle. That said, the use of voices in the score is interesting, if not enjoyable. #
- Fascinating site about cicada songs, the transnational anthem of electronic music: cicadasong.eu. #
- Great interview (and splendidly shot) with Steve Reich on influences on his work: http://t.co/3vIGp5AH. #
- The 27th weekly @djunto project will be about interpreting a text file as sound. #
- Looking at Fireworks (Waveforms): http://t.co/U5DxMVOn #
- Chinese Red Glare & Blare: http://t.co/hKplrUq9 #
- The Music of Fireworks: http://t.co/4Ycnqc0H #
- The mixture of enthusiasm and solitude that is the July 3 firework. #
- History of my listening goes from what’s my favorite song to what’s my favorite album to what’s my favorite appliance. NP: washing machine. #
- Looking forward to moderating panel discussion on “Alternative Musical Interfaces” @gaffta on 9/19 (7pm): http://t.co/g8Z8RMEY #
- 48 minutes of music made by 15 musicians in 4 days from samples of trash: https://t.co/7W9pd5rt #
- Tuesday noon siren peculiarly loud on a bright, clear-sky day. #
- “‘Spider-Man’ feels like one of those unnecessary software versions, more Spider-Man 1.5” says Manohla Dargis. I agree, and I dug 500 Days. #
- If my tweets are especially off later today, it may be because I saw the midnight Spider-man. #
- Eight musicians now confirmed for the August 19 Disquiet Junto concert in Denver. #
- More details on the class I’m teaching this autumn at @academy_of_art: http://t.co/D4D3h3zZ #
- Sound-art PTSD. MT @qDot: After living between stacks of cardboard boxes while moving, gonna take a while to appreciate Zimoun again. #
- 1/2 hour of music by 10 musicians made of sounds sampled from items found in their garbage (and one trip to the dump): https://t.co/7W9pd5rt #
- Glad the http://t.co/brhasUxl netlabel is back. Two tracks posted last month, the first since November. #
- Briefly concerned when I saw unfamiliar icon in one of my backup programs. Then realized what the icon meant: done uploading. #
- Excuse me, it’s with Christof Migone. http://t.co/Lqgv0GL6 #mars #soundart #bradbury #
- My interview with sound artist Christoph Migone about listening to Ray Bradbury’s Mars: http://t.co/hSQu3yBf #
- Looking like December 6 for the San Francisco Disquiet Junto concert. #
- Not a speaker. (Older variation on sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/8hiGwuw4 #
- Not a speaker. (Sidewalk grate.) http://t.co/XgQhB3Rm #
- I love when Facebook reminds me of a netlabel’s birthday because of how the account was set up. (“Record labels are people.”) #
- Pretty impressive that Transformers 3 couldn’t get three sentences in without a grammatical error in the narration. #
- For @djunto #26 stijnh shot his garbage mid-sample: http://t.co/lIZJ6Xah #
- Mostly for @artofplanning: Has Shepard Fairey done anything that looks less like he’s done it? Rolling Stones logo: http://t.co/3iEF4ihl #
- Guy next to me at café is like the Keith Jarrett of writers. He’s read out loud quietly as he typed on his laptop all day. #
- Now 7 musicians confirmed for the Disquiet Junto (@djunto) show in Denver on August 19. Almost certainly more to come. #
- Waiting for Google++ #
- Inlet went extra mile for current @djunto sonic recycling project, sampling sounds of local dump: https://t.co/kuxXSSE0. #
- Concert is 8/19 in Denver. MT @vuzhmusic: Confirmed @djunto lineup so far: @c_yantis @mysterybear @falsereactions @tenandtracer and yrs trly #
- For one day only 4’33” will be 4’34” (http://t.co/pCUGh7en) #
- Looks like the mobile/tablet-optimized http://t.co/xdF1T26R should be live pretty soon. Clean, size-responsive formatting. #
- Found Yegorova’s Artemiev book behind Marclay’s Shuffle box and between books by Cardiff and Kurzweil. I need to diversify my diet. #
- Afternoon listening: the “Train” track from Artemiev’s score to Tarkovsky’s Stalker: http://t.co/o0y1HplR #dyer #zona #
- Initial thoughts about Geoff Dyer’s engrossing book about Andrei Tarkovsky’s movie Stalker: http://t.co/2LqxmdP1 #
- Remains convinced that Stalker will be remade with Jason Statham in the lead role. #
- Best thing about 3rd book in Mira Grant’s great trilogy of zombie novels is moral parallel it draws between zombies & clones. #
- Geoff Emerick’s memoir about recording the Beatles in the 1960s is unintentionally the best book about how manga is made today. #
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice