- Halfway through Scalzi’s Redshirts, I pull up Netflix and find the complete Star Trek animated series is streaming. #
- I don’t live there anymore, but someone’s staring a new comic store in my hometown: http://t.co/qzPOuY6e Cc @escapepodcomics #
- If memory serves it was in Feb (aka V-day) issue. MT @mmaddencomics: Via @jccabel, rare collaboration between me n wife http://t.co/vWTAE3zi #
- RIP, Norman Sas (b. 1925), inventor of electric football, progenitor of video games: http://t.co/2unmjHB0 #
- Thanks @dpnem for inspiring this week’s Disquiet Junto project. Details just went to the email list & are available at http://t.co/QNC4M2Ql #
- Details on 28th (!) weekly Disquiet Junto go out shortly. Themes: #netlabel #remix #creativecommons (Apologies for the delay.) #
- Woo hoo! That USB light item I chipped in on at @kickstarter made its goal. In three days, at that: http://t.co/fsWfgK92 #
- Has no memory of the first Total Recall being particularly good. #
- It was, indeed, nice to wake to my Dropbox account having doubled in size. #
- Apparently one benefit of playing a harp in a waiting room is the ability to take bathroom breaks without fear of someone stealing it. #
- Be safe, comrade. MT @DETXL: When I put my bike helmet to my ear I can hear the ocean! And an eerie whisper that portends manner of my death #
- A bit more on the “alternative musical interfaces” panel I’ll moderate @gaffta on Sept 19: http://t.co/hVGVjdyB #
- Mobile/tablet-responsive http://t.co/Yh8y3liM now live. If you have a chance, give it a go. I’ll post an overview in the next day or so. #
- Missed the noon siren today in San Francisco, but enjoying the 5pm digital carillon at Sonoma State. #
- It’s about time. MT @stephentotilo: Going forward, Kotaku writers will pen the majority of the gaming reviews in the @nytimes Arts section. #
- The Internet has been a whole lot less eerie since I installed Do Not Track Plus in Chrome. #
- Whatever you’re listening to on your Mac, the second you start taking screenshots it automatically becomes Duran Duran’s “Girls on Film.” #
- I’d like to see a sonic version of this, by the way: http://t.co/fsWfgK92. Or hear it, that is. #
- Just @kickstarter‘d this USB light ping, per @pheezy‘s tip. It’s USB version of the in-glasses thing I hoped for 2 weeks ago. #
- The DC Comics email list appears to have sent out news of a Singin’ in the Rain 60th anniversary event. Corporate synergy. #
- RIP, British saxophonist Lol Coxhill (b. 1932): http://t.co/hXydP5rz #
- Received email spam from the account of a friend who died a year ago. #
- Keeping http://t.co/Fjk1qo9m on its own. Durex/Spotify playlists seem off http://t.co/Yh8y3liM’s charter. Will re-blog key items. #
- Mobile/tablet-friendly responsive version of http://t.co/Yh8y3liM is now in effect. There are some kinks to work out, but it’s pretty close. #
- My 22-month-old counting: “1, 2, 3, 7, 1, 1.” It’s the Toddler Conet Project. #
- At the Crocker seeing the Mel Ramos exhibit for the first time since Sactown Magazine published my lengthy interview. #
- Was the third Transformers film an investment in making the first two look good by comparison? #
- Excited to see how our epic Autechre discussion group looks when new http://t.co/Yh8y3liM comment template kicks in this weekend:… #
- 13 tracks so far in the 27th Disquiet Junto project (text -> sound), 2 of them from 1st-timers: http://t.co/9tsXKgVB #
- Was listening to new @vuzhmusic EP. Stopped listening, but it seemed to keep playing. Sound was washing machine several walls/rooms away. #
5 Most Recent Posts
Spring 2013: The Disquiet Junto is assisting Geoff Manaugh in a course he is teaching at Columbia University's GSAPP, "San Andreas: Architecture for the Fault." Details at bldgblog.blogspot.com.
February 26: I'm giving a three-hour guest lecture about listening to a class on writing for radio productions at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
May 15, 2013: Last day of 15-week course I'm teaching about sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco, California.
Ongoing: In January 2013 I became part of the SoundCloud Heroes project, more on which in the near future. In the short term, full disclosure, I was gifted the top-level account, Pro Plus. Initial post here: "What I'm Up To."
Ongoing: The film The Children Next Door (2012), on which I served as music supervisor and collaborated with Taylor Deupree on sound design, is currently touring festivals. It won a special jury prize at DOC NYC and has also played at the Denver and Hamptons festivals. Directed by Doug Block, produced by Lynda A. Hansen. More at thechildrennextdoor.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
Way Down the Pike: Currently writing a book about Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, for the 33 1/3 series.
5 Most Recent Comments
watch free Sex cams: "Your style is really unique compared to other people I have read stuff from. Many thanks for..."
www.hummaa.com: "I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and exposure! Keep up the fantastic..."
Adrian Hallam: "Hi Marc, Thank you for the lovely write up about “The Parting”. I Really appreciate it...."
MichaelAshSharbaugh: "Dear Mr .Weidenbaum, Good Day! How are you? I just now saw the write-up you gave Adrian..."
Nick Cooke: "Really interesting use of an interesting instrument. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. These are the weekly projects to date: 1: ice cubes • 2: duet for foghorn and steam whistle • 3: expanded glass harp • 4: remixing Marcus Fischer • 5: adding sounds to everyday life • 6: remixing archival Edison cylinders • 7: create through subtraction • 8: rework Benjamin Franklin's autobiography • 9: cross-species collaboration • 10: remix a previous Junto track • 11: everyday mechanical rhythms • 12: cut and paste • 13: remixing wild Up playing Shostakovich • 14: sonic version of Matt Madden's Oubapo story • 15: aural RGB • 16: sandpaper and dice • 17: transition between field and composed • 18: relative prominence • 19: graphic score (photo by Yojiro Imasaka) • 20: use the NodeBeat app • 21: the four seasons • 22: sonic decay • 23: palindrone • 24: a suite of sonic alerts • 25: remixing project 24 • 26: making music from your trash • 27: turm the instruction text into sound • 28: remix a netlabel release • 29: music from water, inspired by William Gibson's Count Zero • 30: sounds from silence • 31: Revisiting a 1955 Yoko Ono Fluxus piece • 32: sonify the 2012 U.S. presidential election polling data • 33: making music with a turntable but without vinyl • 34: Use the theme song of the Radius broadcast as the source of an original composition • 35: Make music from a sample page of Beck's Song Reader sheet music • 36: Reworking Bach into abstract expressionism • 37: The sound of commerce • 38: Make a fake field recording • 39: Combine three tracks from the Nowaki netlabel into one • 40: Turn a Kenneth Kirschner duet into a trio • 41: Dirty minimalism • 42: Record a "naive melody" with your oldest and newest instruments> • 43: Make mechanical roars from the sound of a retail space • 44: Transition from storm to calm using field recordings from Sandy 2012 • 45: Combine material from the public domain adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Tom Sawyer • 46: Investigate a recording of the voting process for its "sonic fingerprint." • 47: Turn the muffled voices of a distant party into the foundation of a recording. • 48: Celebrate the Creative Commons license that allows for derivative works by remixing music from the Three Legs Duck netlabel. • 49: Make a track, 50% of which is the sound of a tape cassette deck in motion. • 50: Encode a word or phrase in Morse Code and employ that as a track's rhythm. • 51: Create a 2012 audio diary with a dozen five-second segments. • 52: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Bump Foot netlabel. • 53: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it (redux). • 54: Create an original musical score for the day's news. • 55: Combine two Nils Frahm solo piano pieces into one. • 56: Make music from the sound of the tick of a clock. • 57: Use sounds from the Phonetics Lab Archive at UCLA to depict emotions. • 58: Celebrate the Creative Commons by remixing three tracks from the Endless Ascent netlabel. • 59: Make music from three randomly assigned vowels. • 60: Record something about yourself and your music/sound in your own words and voice. • 61: Record a single for which the cover would be the image suggested by a @textinstagram tweet. • 62: Make music using just three sine waves. • 63: Make a new piece of music based on an echo-laden re-recording of Gregorian chant. • 64: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 65: Compose music atop a randomly assigned segment of a pre-existing track by Jared Brickman. • 66: Collaborate posthumously with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton. • 67: Compose music for a phrase from Homer's The Odyssey • 68: Combine three songs from the first release of the new deriv.cc netlabel. • 69: Make music from field recordings of earth, water, air, and fire. • 70: Create a single piece of music from two tones and three beats. • 71: Create an original score to the trailer to Christine Knowlton's film about blind sailors.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice year's best
- Waking in Manhattan, all air-conditioning rumble and car honks. 55 mins ago
- SFO -> JFK 20 hours ago
- “Henry David Thoreau followed you” 2 days ago
- By this time tomorrow I’ll still be on a plane to New York. 2 days ago
- Tuesday noon siren in the Mission. Plane overhead. “This is a [muffled] test …” 2 days ago