- Dear Mountain Lion Hive, How do I stop TextEdit from having iCloud as the default save-to location? #osx #hassle #
- Dear media theoretician who fears the Internet’s power to filter things that run counter to an individual’s worldview: Explain the Olympics. #
- Already 5 fine tracks making music from perceived silence. This set will collate new tracks as they arrive: http://t.co/KuEalsHX #
- Unintentionally surreal PR of the day: getting Jay and Silent Bob pitch from a http://t.co/p3GsgiAS email address. #
- A PR person who queries me regularly has a unique message-count approach: adding an exclamation point to the subject line with each inquiry. #
- View out window somewhat spoiled by sense of being viewed. http://t.co/tDtcL1rQ #
- Rules for 30th @djunto project, inspired by John Cage’s concept of silence, live at http://t.co/zuFt2JQY + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- One of the largest record companies on the planet sends out automated PR where track numbers routinely appear: 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5 … #
- OK, the revised meaning of “audiophile” is on hold until @p_cers obtains his $1,000 speaker cables. Then all bets are off. in reply to p_cers #
- People who are concerned with the culture of audio need to reclaim “audiophile” from conspicuous consumers. #
- “No guns. No killing.” Enjoyed the new Batman very much. #
- Got an email from @aQuariusrecOrds. Briefly assumed it must be Friday evening. in reply to aQuariusrecOrds #
- Three o’clock bell in Chinatown. #
- Mountain Lion: 2 hours to download, 20 minutes to install, then a 2-minute Java upgrade, and it’s (apparently) all set. #
- Both these pages have details on the August 19 Disquiet Junto concert in Denver, CO: http://t.co/HmNTqAvU http://t.co/ocv2VKc9 #
- This sample may be of use for Thursday’s Junto project, FYI. RT: @ethanhein Locked vinyl groove for remixing? Game on. http://t.co/x6xmCXc0 #
- Would probably be happy if OS X Lion just cleaned up the Desktop Spaces UX and got rid of that galaxy background image. #
- The excellent LA performance organization the wulf. is fundraising: http://t.co/yWMzpFy0 #
- Wrote the Nature story on Syfy’s Alphas and didn’t even know about the Tuvan throat singing assassin or Rachel’s sonic claustrophobia. Cool. #
- For fans of the TV series Alphas, whose second season starts tonight: my interview with its showrunner is in the current issue of Nature. #
- Nearing 30 tracks in the @greatdismal-themed 29th Disquiet Junto project, running water as “one of the oldest songs”: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Man, the Margin Call score and sound design are splendid, especially when they meet up. #
- Fences make good neighbors because the process of dealing with fence repair provides the opportunity to introduce yourself to your neighbors #
- This set is collating all the @djunto music tracks in the current, @GreatDismal-themed project: http://t.co/TXY96a50 #
- Fog horns this morning suggest somewhere a Wookie is getting a medal. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice