- Six tracks so far of sonified @tpm polling data from the current presidential election: https://t.co/tlgQnqVn #
- RIP, Mel Stuart (b. 1928), director of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." #
- RIP Carl Davis (b.1934); his "Duke of Earl" was among the first songs to make me think "Someone's responsible for this beyond the musicians" #
- The @djunto weekly creative-restraint music project treats U.S. presidential-election polling data as graphic notation: http://t.co/NLsmU50p #
- Bourne Legacy score sure made the drive to Sacramento this morning from San Francisco feel more dramatic than it might have. #
- Headed to Sacramento tomorrow for the day. Anything I should check out, (sound) art-wise, while I'm there? #
- Evening sounds: distant cars, nearby clothes dryer, microwave. #
- Video of bee swarm in our backyard this afternoon: http://t.co/82UBs8M5 #
- Massive bee swarm in backyard (I live in San Francisco's Outer Richmond District). Just thousands upon thousands. They've since moved west. #
- The next Disquiet Junto project will focus on graphic scores and American politics. This should prove interesting. #
- RIP, "pioneer in radar and radio telescopes" Bernard Lovell (b. 1913), in whose honor Dr. Bernard Quatermass was named: http://t.co/xur6QPHJ #
- Sounds nearing midnight: refrigerator, occasional car. #
- RIP, Hollywood composer Marvin Hamlisch (b. 1944), whose last score was half the fun of Steven Soderbergh's The Informant! #
- 2 weeks from last night is the @djunto concert @thewalnutroom in Denver! More than a half dozen performances of work for expanded glass harp #
- Next @djunto project (#32) will focus on American politics and involve the concept of the graphic score. #
- Sign at Oakland Zoo. Thought it said "dancer" not "danger"; great IDM compilation album cover. http://t.co/HKp40itx #
- Back at the Oakland Zoo. Elephant chimes. http://t.co/mpaeleuQ #
- RIP, Jason Noble (Rachel's); here's something I wrote about them/him (and "indie classical") back in 1995: http://t.co/oMxpQsDB #
- Really would love for there to be another Boxhead Ensemble album. #
- Mystic fire alarm in the Presidio. http://t.co/RQXvuGTD #
- Interior design with vinyl, from Man Ray / Lee Miller exhibit at Legion of Honor in SF. http://t.co/EVyV4rfY #
- 10 tracks so far at http://t.co/cBXdemcX exploring @yokoono's incendiary 1955 Fluxus piece #
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice