- Headed up to Sacramento tomorrow. If anything art-gallery–ish of note is going on, I’d appreciate the heads up. #
- Not a speaker, and yet quite loud. (Ceiling vent.) http://t.co/cUwKwN6w #
- The third time the Sirius/Muzak/whatever “radio” in a café plays Norah Jones in two hours, everyone should get a free espresso. #
- 10.8.1 #
- Details to come, but I’ll be in Long Beach (CA) on Sept. 1 for 9th annual SoundWalk sound-art festival: http://t.co/uWlsJM2C #
- Already 3 @djunto tracks exploring what @the_radius broadcast’s jingle would sound like as the root of a composition: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- At the most basic level, quick/informed customer service means: “Our products work sufficiently that we’re not inundated with complaints.” #
- The 34th weekly @djunto project explores the idea of a radio show’s theme song bleeding into the feature presentation: http://t.co/XdREURGZ #
- Car dealer’s wifi is super slow. Other guy in waiting room with laptop & I just gave each other the “You downloading Game of Thrones?” look. #
- All the more timely thanks to Curiosity: I spoke with @ChristofMigone about his Martian Chronicles sound art: http://t.co/XrOMnQfM #
- Also found in my closet: A Fistful of Turkeys, Saga, Starfire II. All in all, a turn-based time capsule. #
- Found a ton of old Steve Jackson (and related) games today in my closet: Hot Spot, Car Wars, Annihilator/One World, One-Page Bulge … #
- Mostly for @pauladaunt + @compactrobot, here’s my 1993 Depeche Mode interview: http://t.co/z1umtvKB + thoughts on it: http://t.co/BcQTSYft #
- Between @soundcloud & @internetarchive, the Instagr/am/bient collection has been streamed/downloaded just shy of 40,000 times. #
- Warmed-Up Leatherette #
- Apparently this camera at the entrance of an abandoned movie theater is just taking notes. http://t.co/6mLyVBq6 #
- For folks who watch Alphas, last night’s episode was the one with the infrasound plot I mentioned in my recent @naturemagazine interview. #
- I check the weather some mornings, but I always find myself listening to field recordings from around the world. #
- With 4 Radiohead albums in Pitchfork’s top 20 albums of past 15 years, the title Amnesiac takes on a deeper meaning: http://t.co/QNYa1R4Z #
- 2 more notes about public outdoor pianos on Denver’s 16th St: (1) lots of homeless people play piano; (2) heard 3 people play “Mad World.” #
- I listened to the Bourne Legacy score before seeing the film, and really dug the “Cognitive Degrade” track. It’s all the better in context. #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco after return trip from Denver: a welcome alarm. #
- I joined in with some folks on a sonic @GAFFTA Urban Prototyping project. Hopeful it gets approved. More on the expo at http://t.co/vRkSd2zR #
- Amazing. MT @benjamindauer: My first @djunto track, “A Glimmer of Hope,” has nearly 4,500 plays. Thanks for listening! http://t.co/zNAWWBh7 #
- Waking, following Denver trip, to the fog horns of the San Francisco Bay. That’s home. #
- Pleased to learn in last week’s Alphas that Dr. Rosen, like his drug-addled peer Dr. Bishop from Fringe, keeps Yes LPs in his office. #
- At airport watched over shoulder of someone power-consuming Reddit-filtered images & videos; feared for future of the paragraph. #
- DEN -> SFO / Headed home after tremendous Denver visit. #
- When the tile on a bar in a Mexican restaurant looks like a Monome. http://t.co/GhX9dxWI #
- One of the few restrictions we have faced this evening: http://t.co/rq6t2dOh #
- Junto concert set up is going well but the @ustream is not so we likely won’t be streaming live. Apologies. We will post audio post-concert. #
- Ten and Tracer’s brobdignagian @djunto glass (note laptop for scale). http://t.co/zdXczaYY #
- Cody Yantis’ three-glass set up for tonight’s @djunto show. Not pictured: guitar. http://t.co/BvnNZGsg #
- C. Reider’s glass with dual contact mics for tonight’s @djunto show. http://t.co/1dQeX9Sh #
- Almost certainly. RT @debcha: @disquiet I won’t be able to listen to the livestream tonight—any chance it’ll be archived somewhere? #
- Mysterybear’s seriously stabilized wine glass for tonight’s @djunto concert in Denver. http://t.co/WHuhUX39 #
- Wine glass and guitar for Radere’s #djunto set tonight. http://t.co/LipNiUwA #
- Three and a half hours until the @djunto show. It’ll stream live here: http://t.co/9FQFu1YM (music for digitally enhanced glass harps) #
- Less than 6 hours until @djunto showtime. An evening of music for electronically mediated glass harmonica: 7pm at Denver’s Walnut Room. #
- Having a Scotch & soda at a Denver bar, watching photos pop up in Instagram of the current @djunto project (turntables as sound objects). #
- We should be streaming the @djunto show Sunday (around) 7:00pm Denver time from this @ustream channel: http://t.co/9FQFu1YM #
- Come visit, listen, perform! MT @vuzhmusic: Alright, slackers, you have exactly 25 hours to get on a plane for Denver: http://t.co/ONxoRmEi #
- Electronic musician setting up Bucky covering. (“lt took 12 hours last year; this year: 4.”) http://t.co/i2JbBBKq #
- Not a pipe organ. (Robert Mangold sculpture in Denver Civic Center.) http://t.co/JqfwjXUh #
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice