- Man, William Basinski live. That was pretty special. Thank you, SFEMF. #
- Already 8 reworkings of a Bach piece in honor of abstract expressionist Clyfford Still's affection for classical music: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Glenn Gould woulda turned 80 this year. Focusing on the 100th of Cage/Nancarrow, who broke into their pianos, I've neglected the shut-in. #
- Jeepers hadn't even followed that through. Thanks. MT @subtopes: @disquiet further it's a skill needed only for doing what you're told to do #
- According to this BART sign, listening is not part of being aware of one's environment. http://t.co/3Gispjqh #
- BART between Powell and 24th is louder than most concerts I attend. #
- Getting used to the sounds in/of the room where I'll be teaching a weekly class on sound. http://t.co/IUKC7d0s #
- Really excited about hearing/seeing William Basinski live tonight at SFEMF — after a heap of tamales. #
- For @djunto folks, Ramos' narrative is interesting. Note his move away from abstract expressionism via visual sampling: http://t.co/45NV1bBo #
- My lengthy profile of painter Mel Ramos is now up at http://t.co/45NV1bBo. #
- My dishwasher is a generative-music genius. Rhythmic, fluid, lush, cantankerous. Genius. #
- Room 3012 in Sonoma State's library has a plaque thanking Tom & Betty Freeman. Different BF, but I listened to Cage's Freeman Etudes there. #
- Looks like the new Kindle Fires correct one significant gap from the previous version: they have built-in microphones: http://t.co/QrUfyvbd #
- Far too psyched about Looper. #
- 36th Disquiet Junto project has begun. Explores aesthetic influence via Clyfford Still: http://t.co/XdREURGZ + http://t.co/Fote94kZ #
- Chris Duncan LP cover from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/xGJbsSsm #
- Detail of Jack Ox graphic score from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/oYiiSUA4 #
- Detail of 1978 John Cage score from upcoming sound-in-art show at Sonoma State's art gallery. http://t.co/P74qtdtW #
- Campus noon carillon can't really compete with neighboring HVAC exhaust. #
- Interviewing Nils Frahm later today, if anyone has any questions for him. #
- Yeah, phone as chihuahua. MT @npseaver: @disquiet I hate iPhone’s default (unchangeable) SMS vibrate. Stop growling at me, tiny motors! #
- Watched/listened as Prius navigated tight parallel parking situation, the only evident sound that of tires squeaking against pavement. #
- Concept that a phone on "vibrate" isn't "silent" is a factual matter, not a highfalutin reference to oscillations. #library #sms #incessant #
- Want tesseract rainbow. MT @barrythrew: Aggregate all these pictures and it should be possible to construct a 3d model of the double rainbow #
- That's what I am getting at. Yeah. A chibi independent, if I may. MT @sethchrisman: 'A simulacrum of "independent."' #
- Everyone at SFEMF's opening night reception stepped outside to see the double rainbow installation. http://t.co/KEPjGJfb #
- Night 1 (of 5) of SFEMF. It's going to be a great festival this year. First stop: gallery opening at Million Fishes. #
- Thinking my next phone may be a Nokia/Windows (Android now), next tablet an Android (iOS now), and stick with Macbook Air. OS bioversity. #
- Probably just coincidence but very few musicians I work with or admire embrace the term "indie" despite the vast number being independent. #
- Driving a car generally exists to refute the received wisdom that 10,000 hours spent doing something makes one an expert. #
- The intimacy of a chatty PR email asking what's up with life + a "listen to this" link with URL wider than browser to track clickthroughs. #
- Reminder: this week's @djunto project will be about Clyfford Still, abstract expressionism, and aesthetic influence. #
- Only time I saw Cage in person was at @bangonacan marathon at @NYSEC in early '90s. He drifted asleep as Margaret Leng Tan played toy piano. #
- Indeed. Shame's right. MT @compactrobot: Shameful there’s no Google doodle for John Cage 100th birthday. Stare at logo for 4'33" & pretend. #
- RIP, Emmanuel Nunes (b. 1912), Portuguese composer who studied with Pousseur, Spek, Stockhausen. Solo piano piece: http://t.co/t7JoUOIv #
- Nearing-midnight sounds: refrigerator hum, general light electrical whine, less vehicular traffic than usual. #
- Dug out files in the basement — folders of correspondence with a largely pre-Internet (and now deceased) friend — for an overdue tribute. #
- In Revolution when Charlie gets her Return of the Jedi lunchbox that's a Star Wars theme in the music, isn't it, making her a female Luke? #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco against the machine-drill whir of neighborhood barbershop. #
- Weird OS X Mountain Lion issues with Chrome refusing to close and Safari going into CPU overdrive. It's feeling fairly Windows 7 right now. #
- A house is truly quiet when you're alone in it the day after it had 26 people in it, over a third of them under age 9. #
- RIP, composer Michael Manion (b. 1952). Here's him writing about Stockhausen: http://t.co/dxxX2K1c #
- I like to think I sang my kid to sleep, but the fog horns definitely get credited with an assist this evening. #
- Morning duet for refrigerator and garbage truck. #
- Great trips to Denver and Long Beach, filled with art and sound — and, man, is it good to be home. #
- OK, the newly two-year-old's nap is over. Time to head to Zine Fest. #
- Retweeting is a form of change. RT @oblique: Repetition is a form of change. #
- Haven't been to Amoeba before it opened in a long time. #
- LGB -> SFO #
- Apparently 3D-printed shells sound like actual shells. (SoundWalk exhibit.) http://t.co/09iOIDbi #
- Er, that is: "simulated." #
- Beautiful stimulated rain-triggered music installation at SoundWalk. http://t.co/vqBFsXyK #
- Following glenn bach's docent tour of both SoundWalk and the ambient noise of downtown Long Beach. #
- And, yes, Disquiet Junto folks, there are glass harps at SoundWalk. http://t.co/bTJNLZfS #
- Sound and shadow (part of Eric Strauss' installation at SoundWalk). http://t.co/gkZ6UK9I #
- Just a part of the lavish tape installation at SoundWalk by lavish womb. http://t.co/jiAcCcr4 #
- Long Beach store signage that may or may not be part of SoundWalk. http://t.co/Q3jrbT6S #
- Physical Graffiti Computing #
- RIP, Hal David (b. 1921), who arguably inserted more phrases into the American consciousness than the Founding Fathers. #sayalittleprayer #
- Didn't love the PBS/BBC series Zen, but haven't since been able to have an espresso without thinking about it. #
- Major thanks again to futureprüf-dot-com for design/production support on my site. New comments style looks stellar: http://t.co/gfeQFgaU #
- Eight renditions of a sheet of Beck's Song Reader up so far: http://t.co/lSzme8ob #
- Radio station is doing a "best lead guitarist" countdown. Keith Richards is its number 2. "Beast of Burden" seems like an odd song choice. #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice