- I only follow two TV characters on Twitter: a fictional person and a fictional version of a fictional person. #
- From Last Resort’s island to Myles’ cameo in Person of Interest, the shadow Lost casts on today’s television is expansive. #
- Sacramento tomorrow. Anything art-ish I should check out, lemme know. #
- Fear of How Music Works #
- I have two art-dot-sy (art.sy) invites, if anyone wants one. #
- Read far too many reviews of Looper, wrote a check to myself to transfer funds, got a big headache. #
- “All these bottles thrown into the sea eventually found recipients.” —Nowaki netlabel on benefits of Creative Commons: http://t.co/0goDom2I #
- For folks involved in the @djunto this week, a beautiful thank-you from the netlabel: http://t.co/0goDom2I. #
- Playing catchup. Set of 40 tracks from the @djunto project when we remixed the theme of the Radius broadcast/podcast: https://t.co/podzQny2 #
- RIP, Half Sack. #
- Dredd isn’t great, but at least the 3D was considered as part of visual design. And it really looked 2000 AD to me (the comic not the year). #
- The 39th weekly @djunto project has begun at http://t.co/ncvd9ZaD http://t.co/XdREURGZ. Remixing three netlabel releases. #
- A bit of netlabel activism is the modus operandi for this week’s @djunto, the 39th in the weekly series. #
- “Look at all of those no-deriv licenses (grumble grumble). What’re you afraid of?” That’s @vuzhmusic asking netlabels what’s up. #
- Ignore that last comment/question. PDFs are transferring fine. The doc in question turned out to have been an HTML file. #
- Is it possible to send PDFs from GoodReader to iAnnotate PDF on the iPad? #
- Listen to music by Brian Eno from the exhibit that spawned his forthcoming Lux album: http://t.co/jVmWlLoa. Post updated thanks to @wifsten. #
- Listen to music from the installation that inspired the forthcoming Brian Eno album, Lux: http://t.co/jVmWlLoa Plus a lecture. And diagrams! #
- Anyone know who did the cover art for the forthcoming Brian Eno album, Lux (Warp, Nov. 13)? It looks Tom Phillips–ish. #
- Today in sound class: surveillance in The Conversation, sampled submarine sounds in Last Resort, and Lucille Ball emulates Charlie Chaplin. #
- Odd whistle sound while in shower. Any other time of day I’d assume it’s a distant siren, but in the morning, maybe a neighbor’s tea kettle? #
- Night sounds: dishwasher rumbling, TV creaking as it cools down, rattle of an occasional passing car, whine of MUNI bus coming to a stop. #
- Design-oriented Apple sends Rothko Chapel visitors to a house down the road. http://t.co/pryA0IlN #
- Tomorrow in sound class, week 3, “The Score”: Conversation/Murch, sound design, foley, (un)silent film, laugh tracks, Southland, Last Resort #
- Manhattan Disquiet Junto concert is now on the calendar: http://t.co/CVlqXHAT. November 27 @apexart. Details to follow. #
- Are these newly legal driverless cars are allowed to respond to text messages? #
- Side view of Tilden Park sound tube. http://t.co/DLLDOlZW #
- Not a shower head. One of two sound tubes in Tilden Regional Park playground. http://t.co/3gVZE2u9 #
- Afternoon audio stream: the lo-fi, low-key guitar/loop/din hush of Josh Mason’s forthcoming Jeremiad: http://t.co/bmq4FHEI #
- Sentence I didn’t foresee myself typing: “Just signed up for MySpace invite.” #
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, heard through closed windows on a cold, windy day — the sound the clearest it’s been in recent memory. #
- Testing @SurteesStudios‘ OS X Bartender Bar beta. Smart that a clutter-minded app has icon selection, rather than forcing its icon on you. #
- “violist at musician” / The unintentional performing-arts commentary of LinkedIn. #
- So many hybrid cars in Berkeley, parking lots here have a very different vibe from the norm. #
- Train, unseen, echoed through Tilden Park. #
- RIP, Sam Sniderman (b. 1920), founder of the Canadian record store chain Sam the Record Man: http://t.co/zGiocNpw #
- Found sounds. Sidewalk cassette. Cult jam. http://t.co/1hXiXrzl #
- Kabuki version of Woman in the Dunes at Precita Park. (Really just overly sunscreened toddlers in sunken sand box.) #
- “Signal sweeping for transmitters. You’re just a party animal.” Enemy of the State is no The Conversation, but has fun with whence it came. #
- The Ripping Point: The moment when number of downloaders at the café manage to slow the Internet access to near-zilch. #
- Information flows through this. http://t.co/dgQkr5qa #
- Waking to Lethem/Chabon parallels paralleling DeLillo/Auster parallels. #
- “A Brief History of Sound.” Notes from the second week of my sound class: http://t.co/AcyarrTD. #celebritydeath #synaesthesia #phonography #
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice