A belated Halloween treat, but since Thanksgiving is still almost a month away, there’s plenty of time for creative reuse of pumpkin — not just pies, but gurgling ambient-electronic tracks whose sonic source material is the squash itself. According to the brief liner note accompanying “Dreams from Sleeping in a Pumpkin” by Average Alien, “All those rumbling sounds are made in and on a pumpkin.” There is rumbling, a viscous burbly undercurrent, and all manner of knocking. Around this time every year, it’s worth noting that any music can be scary music — that scary is about context and association, not some Newtonian sonic law of synthesizer effects and timpani. It’s also worth noting, apparently, that not all Halloween music even need be scary.
5 Most Recent Comments
Jos Smolders: "Nice anecdote! I have studied buddhism in the past 8 years and also read that wonderful book..."
Michael Ash Sharbaug: "Thanks for sharing this FINE story, Friends. Inspirational at the least! ;) "
Jason Richardson: "Wow. That brings a new appreciation of the influence of Buddhism on Cage’s work. "
Leonardo Rosado: "Hi Marc, I am so happy to see that you enjoyed the piece. And you are so so spot on the..."
Amy Schuyler: "It’s unfortunate that Brendan Landis didn’t cite the names of the pianists whose..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0234 / Remix Ximer / The Assignment: Make a remix of three tracks of a remix of three tracks, courtesy of a Creative Commons license. • 0233 / Netlabel (NND Remix) / The Assignment: Make one track from three different netlabels, courtesy of a Creative Commons license. • 0232 / No Input / The Assignment: Record a piece of music exploring the concept of "no-input mixing." • 0231 / Field Complement: The Assignment: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 0230 / Design I: The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score (never before performed or realized) from the mid-1970s.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice