- Well, that's a hassle. The auto-Twitter post plugin Twitter Digest worked the first week, didn't the second. Shouldn't be this complicated. ->
- Today's productivity powered by OPT COMMAND ◄ ► in VLC. ->
- RIP, Lee Dorman (b. 1942), bassist on proto-drone rock classic "In-A-Gadda-De-Vida" by Iron Butterfly:… ->
- Morning sounds: sleeping toddler's steady breathing, percussion of rain against the windows ->
- Holiday music I can get behind: "Silent Night" covered by Scanner and by Robert Fripp: http://t.co/W9YmZqkI ->
- "My phone is silent, hella silent." Overheard at Target. ->
- RIP, Mike Scaccia (b. 1965), guitarist (Ministry, Rigor Mortis). Reportedly seizure due to strobe light. http://t.co/3sf2zzSY ->
- And on Sunday, December 23, 2012, Marc Weidenbaum ceased capitalizing the "t" in t-shirts, though he retained the hyphen. ->
- 25 musicians have produced 60-second audio journals of 2012: https://t.co/T79e44JI. Do consider joining in. Deadline is Monday, 11:59pm. ->
- This horrendous cover of "Cecilia" has stumped Google's song identifier software. Or, more likely, simply fried the code. ->
- I'm not at Jump Festa, but "Tokyo Dawn" by @naotko reminded me of waking early to watch kids disembark in Chiba: https://t.co/z2FnPwrv ->
- Part of the point of @djunto is it's dependably there if you have time, so there will indeed be a 52nd project on Thursday: netlabel remix. ->
- At café writing before holiday dinner. Yesterday's crazy lady not here today. Haunted by what she said: "I make money by confessing my sins" ->
- This café plays one of those channels with only cover versions of well-known songs. Makes me wonder if the food and coffee are second hand. ->
- RIP, mangaka Keiji Nakazawa (b. 1939), author of Barefoot Gen, Hiroshima native. ->
- The morning's soundtrack: The Beach Boys' Christmas Album. ->
- Learning about the nature of feedback loops by trying not to fall asleep while putting my 2.3-year-old to bed for a nap ->
- While waiting to speak with a reservationist you will be entertained by an onholdist. ->
- RIP, Ray Collins (b. 1936), Mothers of Invention vocalist. ->
- RIP, film composer Sir Richard Rodney Bennett (b. 1936). ->
- RIP, TV's Gerry Anderson (b. 1929), developer of Thunderbirds, UFO, Space: 1999: http://t.co/OJg6EEYW ->
- You don't miss your water — that is, don't know you have a favorite shot glass until it breaks: http://t.co/OPfan6lk ->
- That moment when filming a little home video where you pause the stereo so you will retain uncontested ownership of your memories. ->
- Pondering whether the Downstream section of Disquiet should expand to include streaming-only music, and video for that matter. ->
- What is the online version of the ripped-in-half $100 bill? ->
- I watch Person of Interest for the interstitials. ->
- Bunch of translations ready for 52nd weekly @djunto project, last of 2012. Goes live today. Next week, 53rd project inaugurates 2013. ->
- Sad to read @crewest gallery is closing, after a decade of great exhibits in downtown L.A. I'm proud to have exhibited there. ->
- The year's final Disquiet Junto project (netlabel remix) has gone to the mailing list and is at https://t.co/omMowbWd + http://t.co/jwgnPsR2 ->
- What an incredible experience @djunto has been in 2012. I can't thank the participants enough. Project 52 has begun, due New Year's Eve. ->
- One good reason to make jambalaya with a 2.3-year-old is to hear a 2.3-year-old say "jambalaya" over and over excitedly. ->
- Finally sorted out what bugs me about our longtime jambalaya recipe. Replaced chicken breasts with thighs. Made all the difference. ->
- Man, a lot happens in the first episode of Firefly. #latetotheparty ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice