- If you've got a Bandcamp "fan" (perhaps an unfortunate term) page, lemme know. I'm at /disquiet. Thanks. ->
- This week @djunto is composing musical scores for news articles. The first is for a @newscientist piece on earthworms: https://t.co/z8dc8vGz ->
- Uncomfortably fixated on the idea that Agent Coulson becomes Deathlok. ->
- It's pretty nifty that iDisplay works over USB. Now, can someone make them a less silly icon? Thanks. ->
- An hour-plus later realizes that he had "Ventolin (Salbutamol Mix)" on repeat. ->
- Found out about Aaron Swartz's suicide via RSS. Sadly fitting, fittingly sad. ->
- A score for @lessig's obituary for @aaronsw. Text here: http://t.co/TirNSM2l. Music here: https://t.co/8S35dnxg. Part of the 54th @djunto. ->
- At end of this long post is list of key apps I use on my Android phone, mostly widgets. If you have faves lemme know: http://t.co/XGyNTB1i ->
- Late evening sounds: two laptop keyboard being typed on intermittently, low level electric hum, occasional passing bus. ->
- RIP, Claude-Anne Lopez (b. 1920), unintentional Benjamin Franklin scholar: http://t.co/Skfg3BVQ. Cc @djunto ->
- "The article uses close to 700 words to say very little. How would I make a soundtrack?" Writing a score for the news: https://t.co/iQLaa69l ->
- I was invited to participate in @SoundCloud Heroes. As part of it, here's audio of me yapping about what I'm up to: https://t.co/mqGSlFAX ->
- Tuesday noon siren just as I was about to hit play on a BBC recording of a John Zorn concert. ->
- PS: Here's that BBC recording of the Zorn-at-60 concert: http://t.co/81gWDENS. ->
- Favorite thing about @piesaac's art-gallery text adventure is additional ".z" tacked onto the URL every time I "wait": https://t.co/NrPb518x ->
- RIP, Japanese filmmaker Nagisa Oshima (b. 1932) . MT @yukiyamasaki: Listening to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence ( http://t.co/2md8msCW ) ->
- Print mag's out now, so here's a re-link to an article I wrote for my alumni mag about book about Cohen's "Hallelujah": http://t.co/bqT7hnC8 ->
- Major helicopter action in the Richmond District. ->
- The more paperless my office gets, the more screenerfull it gets. ->
- Morning video: live concert in Italy of John Cage's Variations VI, with birdsong, Cage's voice, and a colorful modular: http://t.co/fVbjHksN ->
- A Kickstarter for bicycle horn/light with extra attention to sound (an "undiscovered country," per the designer): http://t.co/Wfmab60A ->
- Tomorrow's @djunto project has gone to the translators. It's a manufactured piano duet. ->
- Who song in trailer for espionage show The Americans. This + CSI shows + recent Person of Interest: the Who = sonic TV shorthand for mystery ->
- Kode9, dishwashers, Shanghai: yapping it up in comments under the autobiographical recording I posted yesterday: https://t.co/mqGSlFAX ->
- This signage makes me feel like 20th Century Boys is happening in my neighborhood: http://t.co/PfFYK5Sw ->
- More shortly, but some initial notes on something the @djunto will be assisting @bldgblog on: http://t.co/0SWiy2yq. Sonifying liquefaction. ->
- Disappointed that Alphas hasn't been renewed by Syfy. Enjoyed interviewing the show runner for Nature last year. ->
- I'd love to see the demographic breakdown of who purchases Lode Runner during the next 24 hours: http://t.co/1iENOywD ->
- Yo, OS X pros: Any way to use a key command to click/trigger an item in the menu bar? ->
- Yo, @io9: Poet @christianbok made a micro-organism write poetry: http://t.co/wIA6Dm0u (Earlier created languages for Earth: Final Conflict.) ->
- Paraphrasing Woody Allen in Stardust Memories I check out new Timbaland/Pharrell productions hoping for hint of their earlier, funkier work. ->
- More details from @SoundCloud on that Heroes program I was invited to participate in: http://t.co/O1N94u94 ->
- "an orchestra being held hostage in an underground bunker with thinning oxygen"? Sign me up: http://t.co/cSfPD2hY #asaprocky #clamscasino ->
- The 55th weekly Disquiet Junto project goes live shortly. We'll be reworking @nilsfrahm, with specific restraints. ->
- AirDisplay for 2nd screen is nifty but iDisplay's ability to use USB (Android only) is super-nifty, especially when using public network. ->
- For the 55th @djunto project, we're reworking piano tracks by @nilsfrahm. Details at https://t.co/5ji3COis + http://t.co/3CD48YxE ->
- The 55th @djunto is available English as well as Afrikaans, Croatian, German, and Turkish, with probably one more language to be added. ->
- "Signal." Detail of manhole cover. The fallen leaves must be the "noise." http://t.co/fhv49Gy1 ->
- Syfy : science fiction :: MTV : music ->
- RIP, Nic Potter (b. 1951), bassist of Van der Graaf Generator. ->
- Can Raspberry Pi + external CD = quiet, compact media-ripping station? Can it do so with relative ease? ->
- Yo, @djunto folks, @otolythe over at @hilobrow did up the year-end audio journals: http://t.co/lxPzNqhL. ->
- Already 6 reworkings of solo piano by @nilsfrahm combing 2 tracks into 1: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s. Set includes source audio. ->
- Japanese translation of instructions has been added to this week's @djunto project: http://t.co/3CD48YxE ->
- That isn't the cafe's subwoofer. That's a little kid pounding a heel against the bench every time the bass note kicks in. ->
- Dead MacBook Power Adapter Society ->
- In one day: phone loses data connection repeatedly, laptop cord dies, home wifi goes out for hours. Oh, and dead bulb in desk lamp. #oy ->
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0278 / Chew Concrète / Make music inspired by C. Reider's Chew Cinders album procedures. • 0277 / MacConnel’s Jingle / Interpret a work of contemporary art as a graphically notated score. • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice