- Already 24 reworkings of 2 solo piano pieces by @nilsfrahm in the current @djunto project: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The Generative Rhythms of Domestic White Noise: https://t.co/ZFPX3vYi. AKA, 60 seconds of my dishwasher. ->
- Well, fortunately AppleCare is handling my replacement power adapter. ->
- Yo, OS X people: Favorite FLAC ripper(s)? ->
- Now 29 musicians have reworked solo @nilsfrahm piano pieces in the latest https://t.co/hrpu0A1s project. Cc @djunto ->
- Domestic site-specific sound installation. RT @jeffkolar: As the temp drops to 1° in Chicago, the HVAC whistle begins to crescendo. ->
- Post audio of your dishwasher -> comments thread about BPM & ventilation: https://t.co/YyD2622n ->
- The thief's internalized score, a panel from the third of Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations: http://t.co/MKI3ruAb ->
- 42 musicians have reworked @nilsfrahm solo piano, with quarter of a day until @djunto deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s. Cc: @ErasedTapesPR ->
- We just hit 50 tracks by as many musicians in @nilsfrahm remix project, with several hours to go before deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The not infrequent but always sudden need to listen to Breakbeat Era: http://t.co/uR9cngNh ->
- Reading Dr. Seuss to my (nearly) 2.5-year-old finally influenced me. Noticed loose Lorax association in something of mine soon to be printed ->
- So, how long before an Android or iOS device can use something like AirDisplay or iDisplay to power its own second screen? ->
- External CD ripper is creating magnificent drone-hum on metal desk while FLAC software is in effect. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, surrounded by students on lunch break. It's like hall-monitor overkill. ->
- This week's @djunto project will require a clock that has a ticking second hand, and if possible a contact microphone. ->
- Preparing for wingnut impeachment demands due to Beyoncé lip-synching inauguration scandal. ->
- Spending a lot of time reading articles about Upstream Color mostly as a means to get a sense of what it sounds like. #sundance ->
- Got @RearthUSA case for my Nexus 4: http://t.co/rgSp2pRb. Was hesitant about a "hard" case but it's thinner than many "gels." Study. Solid. ->
- This makes me happy. MT @JaschaHoffman: Shane Carruth's Upstream Color : plot // William Basinski's tape loops : song form (@disquiet) ->
- Very cool. Thanks. MT @GuyBirkin: Sound-a-day project involving processed field recordings by Gilles Helsen: http://t.co/YznTXA5m ->
- Last week's @djunto involved @nilsfrahm's beautiful piano. This week's, starting tomorrow, will involve a purposefully mundane audio source. ->
- The soft breeze of the laptop's fan on overdrive makes the virus scan seem all the more refreshing. ->
- 3D printing of everyday objects will have arrived when I no longer get press releases about 3D printing of everyday objects. ->
- Still thinks an entire Fringe-meets-Homeland TV series could spin off from the "Shock the Monkey" video. ->
- A million geek voices crying out at once. Some of them quite happily. ->
- The big question for me is what JJ Abrams will do with John Williams. ->
- Instructions for the 56th weekly Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project go live shortly: music from the tick of a clock. ->
- Plans for new @djunto project went live at https://t.co/omMowbWd + http://t.co/bwbhJoJB & went to the email list (almost 400 members). ->
- Discussion about the Star Wars / Star Trek "no-hire agreement" is overshadowing the Apple / Google one. ->
- My first Vine post is of a 7" single of lock-groove music. http://t.co/de04fRu5 ->
- The new @djunto project is available in 5 languages: Croatian, English, Japanese, Polish, and Turkish: http://t.co/bwbhJoJB ->
- Source audio for current @djunto, if you need it. MT @Schemawound: Anyone needing a clock sound, here is my recording: http://t.co/uy6dupTs ->
- Officially upgraded to FLAC (from 320kbps MP3s) for my CD rips. Did this at times in the past, but it's now my default. ->
- Time for letterpress collectable book: memorable @djunto titles. MT @ethanhein: New track: Steve Reich Checks His Watch… ->
- Just added the Afrikaans translation to the current @djunto project. Our translators are amazing. ->
5 Most Recent Posts
Late November 2103: Red Bull Music Academy releases in the U.S. the book For the Record: Conversations with People Who Have Shaped the Way We Listen to Music, for which I wrote an essay about Raster-Noton label's Carsten Nicolai and Olaf Bender.
December 18, 2013: Final class of fall semester for the course on sound in the media landscape that I teach at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. The course lasts 15 weeks.
February 13, 2014: The release date for my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, part of Bloomsbury. It can be preordered at amazon.com.
New: There are now three Disquiet-collated “carousels” on SoundCloud streaming sets of ambient, beat-based, and “other” tracks: disquiet.com. Think of them as fluid, iterative podcasts. I've set up similar stations at Rdio, one ambient, the other beats.
Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
5 Most Recent Comments
Anonymous: "I always emailed this blog post page to all my friends, because if like to read it next my contacts will..."
colongib: "This mudlogger is excellent! "
sfdgfhgjhkjlk: "i like it! its a dinosaur! "
Larry Johnson: "A neat, abstract piece. I used samples to created something entirely different which can be found..."
PSR B1257+12: "Nit… intro text shows dates from last week, and might confuse. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: 92: Use room tone to shape a three-part suite. • 93: Combine music from three different netlabels to create one track. • 94: Record an unlikely vocal trio with the sound of a bird, a kitten, and a pig. • 95: Musicians post recent tracks with the express purpose of getting constructive feedback. • 96: Pay tribute to the late Lou Reed's noise classic. • 97: Decode the music in a phrase from a book. • 98: Combine original three spoken texts into one track. • 99: Compose an 8-bit melody based on the "E G D" startup sound of the Xbox One. • 100: Record the sound of water boiling and make something of it. • 101: Make a phase composition based on the sounds of three switches. ... There is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice