- Already 24 reworkings of 2 solo piano pieces by @nilsfrahm in the current @djunto project: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The Generative Rhythms of Domestic White Noise: https://t.co/ZFPX3vYi. AKA, 60 seconds of my dishwasher. ->
- Well, fortunately AppleCare is handling my replacement power adapter. ->
- Yo, OS X people: Favorite FLAC ripper(s)? ->
- Now 29 musicians have reworked solo @nilsfrahm piano pieces in the latest https://t.co/hrpu0A1s project. Cc @djunto ->
- Domestic site-specific sound installation. RT @jeffkolar: As the temp drops to 1° in Chicago, the HVAC whistle begins to crescendo. ->
- Post audio of your dishwasher -> comments thread about BPM & ventilation: https://t.co/YyD2622n ->
- The thief's internalized score, a panel from the third of Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations: http://t.co/MKI3ruAb ->
- 42 musicians have reworked @nilsfrahm solo piano, with quarter of a day until @djunto deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s. Cc: @ErasedTapesPR ->
- We just hit 50 tracks by as many musicians in @nilsfrahm remix project, with several hours to go before deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The not infrequent but always sudden need to listen to Breakbeat Era: http://t.co/uR9cngNh ->
- Reading Dr. Seuss to my (nearly) 2.5-year-old finally influenced me. Noticed loose Lorax association in something of mine soon to be printed ->
- So, how long before an Android or iOS device can use something like AirDisplay or iDisplay to power its own second screen? ->
- External CD ripper is creating magnificent drone-hum on metal desk while FLAC software is in effect. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, surrounded by students on lunch break. It's like hall-monitor overkill. ->
- This week's @djunto project will require a clock that has a ticking second hand, and if possible a contact microphone. ->
- Preparing for wingnut impeachment demands due to Beyoncé lip-synching inauguration scandal. ->
- Spending a lot of time reading articles about Upstream Color mostly as a means to get a sense of what it sounds like. #sundance ->
- Got @RearthUSA case for my Nexus 4: http://t.co/rgSp2pRb. Was hesitant about a "hard" case but it's thinner than many "gels." Study. Solid. ->
- This makes me happy. MT @JaschaHoffman: Shane Carruth's Upstream Color : plot // William Basinski's tape loops : song form (@disquiet) ->
- Very cool. Thanks. MT @GuyBirkin: Sound-a-day project involving processed field recordings by Gilles Helsen: http://t.co/YznTXA5m ->
- Last week's @djunto involved @nilsfrahm's beautiful piano. This week's, starting tomorrow, will involve a purposefully mundane audio source. ->
- The soft breeze of the laptop's fan on overdrive makes the virus scan seem all the more refreshing. ->
- 3D printing of everyday objects will have arrived when I no longer get press releases about 3D printing of everyday objects. ->
- Still thinks an entire Fringe-meets-Homeland TV series could spin off from the "Shock the Monkey" video. ->
- A million geek voices crying out at once. Some of them quite happily. ->
- The big question for me is what JJ Abrams will do with John Williams. ->
- Instructions for the 56th weekly Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project go live shortly: music from the tick of a clock. ->
- Plans for new @djunto project went live at https://t.co/omMowbWd + http://t.co/bwbhJoJB & went to the email list (almost 400 members). ->
- Discussion about the Star Wars / Star Trek "no-hire agreement" is overshadowing the Apple / Google one. ->
- My first Vine post is of a 7" single of lock-groove music. http://t.co/de04fRu5 ->
- The new @djunto project is available in 5 languages: Croatian, English, Japanese, Polish, and Turkish: http://t.co/bwbhJoJB ->
- Source audio for current @djunto, if you need it. MT @Schemawound: Anyone needing a clock sound, here is my recording: http://t.co/uy6dupTs ->
- Officially upgraded to FLAC (from 320kbps MP3s) for my CD rips. Did this at times in the past, but it's now my default. ->
- Time for letterpress collectable book: memorable @djunto titles. MT @ethanhein: New track: Steve Reich Checks His Watch… ->
- Just added the Afrikaans translation to the current @djunto project. Our translators are amazing. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Marc: "take a look at the intellijel Dixie. Super nice sine wave, can be an LFO and is really compact. "
Larry Johnson: "Love these mini-creations. Did a remix here: https://soundcloud.com/l-a-..."
Larry Johnson: "Just this Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=05quVI7Ioqc (Quote: An alternate version of..."
Éric Legendre: "Also interesting [aside from the nice groove] to see that the piece comes with cover art & is..."
Larry Johnson: "Marc: Sent you an email with the remix attached (I think it’s the correct one). "
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 28, 2015: First spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm only teaching it one semester this year, just to make time for other activities.
• February 13, 2015: Speaking engagement in San Francisco. Details to follow.
• February 13, 2015: First anniversary of the release of my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
• February 19, 2015: This is the "closing" event for the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame." The evening is part of the museum's ArtRage evening series, and runs from 7pm to 10pm. I'll likely be giving a little talk as part of it. Details TK.
• February 22, 2015: Final day of the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame."
• May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: • 0160: Make a one-minute field recording starting right at midnight (wherever you are). • 0159: See what music the steps of a favorite recipe yield. • 0158: Go from noise to signal with words. • 0157: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0156: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0155: Take a track and its remix and meld them into something new. • 0154: Create a track from two locked grooves • 0153: Record a short sound intended to be set on repeat. • 0152: Record your own cover version of the "song" sung/emitted by the comet Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. • 0151: Score a segment of George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead using the movie's audio as source material. ... And there is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice