- Already 24 reworkings of 2 solo piano pieces by @nilsfrahm in the current @djunto project: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The Generative Rhythms of Domestic White Noise: https://t.co/ZFPX3vYi. AKA, 60 seconds of my dishwasher. ->
- Well, fortunately AppleCare is handling my replacement power adapter. ->
- Yo, OS X people: Favorite FLAC ripper(s)? ->
- Now 29 musicians have reworked solo @nilsfrahm piano pieces in the latest https://t.co/hrpu0A1s project. Cc @djunto ->
- Domestic site-specific sound installation. RT @jeffkolar: As the temp drops to 1° in Chicago, the HVAC whistle begins to crescendo. ->
- Post audio of your dishwasher -> comments thread about BPM & ventilation: https://t.co/YyD2622n ->
- The thief's internalized score, a panel from the third of Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations: http://t.co/MKI3ruAb ->
- 42 musicians have reworked @nilsfrahm solo piano, with quarter of a day until @djunto deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s. Cc: @ErasedTapesPR ->
- We just hit 50 tracks by as many musicians in @nilsfrahm remix project, with several hours to go before deadline: https://t.co/hrpu0A1s ->
- The not infrequent but always sudden need to listen to Breakbeat Era: http://t.co/uR9cngNh ->
- Reading Dr. Seuss to my (nearly) 2.5-year-old finally influenced me. Noticed loose Lorax association in something of mine soon to be printed ->
- So, how long before an Android or iOS device can use something like AirDisplay or iDisplay to power its own second screen? ->
- External CD ripper is creating magnificent drone-hum on metal desk while FLAC software is in effect. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco, surrounded by students on lunch break. It's like hall-monitor overkill. ->
- This week's @djunto project will require a clock that has a ticking second hand, and if possible a contact microphone. ->
- Preparing for wingnut impeachment demands due to Beyoncé lip-synching inauguration scandal. ->
- Spending a lot of time reading articles about Upstream Color mostly as a means to get a sense of what it sounds like. #sundance ->
- Got @RearthUSA case for my Nexus 4: http://t.co/rgSp2pRb. Was hesitant about a "hard" case but it's thinner than many "gels." Study. Solid. ->
- This makes me happy. MT @JaschaHoffman: Shane Carruth's Upstream Color : plot // William Basinski's tape loops : song form (@disquiet) ->
- Very cool. Thanks. MT @GuyBirkin: Sound-a-day project involving processed field recordings by Gilles Helsen: http://t.co/YznTXA5m ->
- Last week's @djunto involved @nilsfrahm's beautiful piano. This week's, starting tomorrow, will involve a purposefully mundane audio source. ->
- The soft breeze of the laptop's fan on overdrive makes the virus scan seem all the more refreshing. ->
- 3D printing of everyday objects will have arrived when I no longer get press releases about 3D printing of everyday objects. ->
- Still thinks an entire Fringe-meets-Homeland TV series could spin off from the "Shock the Monkey" video. ->
- A million geek voices crying out at once. Some of them quite happily. ->
- The big question for me is what JJ Abrams will do with John Williams. ->
- Instructions for the 56th weekly Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project go live shortly: music from the tick of a clock. ->
- Plans for new @djunto project went live at https://t.co/omMowbWd + http://t.co/bwbhJoJB & went to the email list (almost 400 members). ->
- Discussion about the Star Wars / Star Trek "no-hire agreement" is overshadowing the Apple / Google one. ->
- My first Vine post is of a 7" single of lock-groove music. http://t.co/de04fRu5 ->
- The new @djunto project is available in 5 languages: Croatian, English, Japanese, Polish, and Turkish: http://t.co/bwbhJoJB ->
- Source audio for current @djunto, if you need it. MT @Schemawound: Anyone needing a clock sound, here is my recording: http://t.co/uy6dupTs ->
- Officially upgraded to FLAC (from 320kbps MP3s) for my CD rips. Did this at times in the past, but it's now my default. ->
- Time for letterpress collectable book: memorable @djunto titles. MT @ethanhein: New track: Steve Reich Checks His Watch… ->
- Just added the Afrikaans translation to the current @djunto project. Our translators are amazing. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Jos Smolders: "Nice anecdote! I have studied buddhism in the past 8 years and also read that wonderful book..."
Michael Ash Sharbaug: "Thanks for sharing this FINE story, Friends. Inspirational at the least! ;) "
Jason Richardson: "Wow. That brings a new appreciation of the influence of Buddhism on Cage’s work. "
Leonardo Rosado: "Hi Marc, I am so happy to see that you enjoyed the piece. And you are so so spot on the..."
Amy Schuyler: "It’s unfortunate that Brendan Landis didn’t cite the names of the pianists whose..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0234 / Remix Ximer / The Assignment: Make a remix of three tracks of a remix of three tracks, courtesy of a Creative Commons license. • 0233 / Netlabel (NND Remix) / The Assignment: Make one track from three different netlabels, courtesy of a Creative Commons license. • 0232 / No Input / The Assignment: Record a piece of music exploring the concept of "no-input mixing." • 0231 / Field Complement: The Assignment: Compose a piece to align with, from memory, 60 seconds of everyday sound. • 0230 / Design I: The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score (never before performed or realized) from the mid-1970s.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice