- My 2.4-year-old makes museums with toys. Said today, "Everyone wants to look at the blue art." http://t.co/C51Wt3XC ->
- Man, already over 20 tracks in the 56th weekly @djunto: https://t.co/fI78AZcM. Music from the tick of a clock. ->
- Psyched about this new @MexWithGuns + @D1egoBernal cut: http://t.co/iN9hMRwQ. And I finally got to make my "Beats with the Councilman" joke. ->
- Excited for this Thursday's @djunto project. The project was proposed by Michel Banabila (@banabila). It involves human speech. ->
- RIP, jazz figure Butch Morris (b. 1947): http://t.co/z0EHttvM ->
- Today's was 1st Tuesday noon siren after re-reading Delisle's Pyongyang, which includes phrase "Municipal loudspeakers intone their litany." ->
- Hitchcock poster or lost Peter Gabriel album cover? http://t.co/XuFCyDGN ->
- Looking forward to the opening of the Silence exhibit tonight at the Berkeley Art Museum. ->
- Today's unintentional remix provided by earbud cord rubbing against jacket zipper while waking. ->
- RIP, Steven Deal, aka Stevo, of Bleached Black. Very sad. Via @audiation ->
- New semester of course I teach on sound in the media landscape starts a week from today. Very excited to meet the new students and dive in. ->
- New @djunto project today developed by Rotterdam-based Michel Banabila, who's collaborated with Czukay, Machinefabriek, Zenial, among others ->
- Silence. Massive exhibit currently at the Berkeley Art Museum. http://t.co/4WTK3ozz ->
- Please join the 57th @djunto project. Explore UCLA's Phonetics Lab Archive for its emotive content http://t.co/XdREURGZ http://t.co/spRx6AYA ->
- The 57th project is in 8 (!) languages: Afrikaans, Croatian, Dutch, English, French, Japanese, Polish, and Turkish: http://t.co/spRx6AYA ->
- Weird WordPress/markdown issue in the current @djunto instructions. Markdown is removing an underscore in text target URLs. #hassle #major ->
- Any experts in Markdown wanna remind me how to get around two underscores in a URL mistakenly triggering italics? Thanks! ->
- Markdown support. Thanks! RT @inky: @disquiet ah! escaping them like this might work: \_ (not sure if that works universally in markdown) ->
- Man, I wish I were in Rome for this: http://t.co/Vmv3ruQB. Exhibit on intersection of sound and design. ->
- RIP, Nagra creator and audio-engineering legend Stefan Kudelski (b. 1929) http://t.co/mQVuTjRa ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Manley Roberts: "Put this on for the phone app please "
Ian Joyce: "This was a really tough one, difficult to know where to start, but as with all challenges once the..."
C. Reider: "I tend to think that music is not quite as passive a presence as you write here. Not quite wallpaper,..."
Erika Nesse: "Wow, thanks for the in depth commentary. I can give some insight as to the process: you’re right..."
Mike Fuchs: "WOW!!! I love the work created by virtually every artist this week! It seems like visual directions for..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0227: Record a piece of music in which what changes is the treatment of the notes that comprise a single chord. • 0226: Compose music for a fictional greatest-hits collection of the electronic music of R. Buckminster Fuller. • 0225: Sight read a late-1940s painting by Argentine artist Lidy Prati as a graphically notated score. • 0224: Make music with the sound of a refrigerator as its foundation. • 0223: Record multiple, slightly varying takes on the same looped composition in this project by Monome's Brian Crabtree.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like