Richard Chartier has posted for free download a track from over half a decade back (its originating material over a decade old), six minutes of everyday noise transformed into glitchy distillates. It’s a track that represents him twice reworking his own music. The story goes as follows. Back in the late 1990s, when microsound — music made from, and expressing the inherent qualities of, low-level noises — was coming into its own, he released an album titled Postfabricated. There were, as he tells it, production issues; in particular, he writes, “a studio engineer not accustomed to this type of recorded material compromised the details of the sounds.” He subsequently tried to reconstruct the music from scratch, yielding a collection he titled Repostfabricated. And in turn he gave the source material to a slate of musicians and asked them to rework it, yielding PostPostfabricated. Among those musicians were CoH, Vend, Asmus Tietchens, Frank Bretschneider, Goem, Taylor Deupree, Alva Noto, Freiband, Sogar, Byetone, Matmos, Steve Roden, and Chartier himself. “Pfiler” is his reworking of his reworking of his own work:
5 Most Recent Comments
Jeffro Tull: "These are such fantastic descriptions, if very different from my own impressions (at least the..."
Rapperazzi: "They probably are trying to push some kind of paid promotion. "
Otto Tintenfisch: "Hey I heard this once before, wanted to share it with my friends. but the soundcloud link is..."
Nuun: "Hi Mark, I’m truly honored and surprised by your review of my track! Thanks for your carefull listening..."
Marc Arsenault: "Have you ever played a music box over a guitar pickup? Do it. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday. • 0248 / Galactic Tick / Celebrate the new celestial holiday in music. • 0247 / Waltz, Maybe / Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. • 0246 / Double, Quadruple, Sextuple / Compose a piece of music that increases speed in stages as it proceeds. • 0245 / Practical Music / Write a piece of music for getting things done, suitable for playing on repeat.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice