Richard Chartier has posted for free download a track from over half a decade back (its originating material over a decade old), six minutes of everyday noise transformed into glitchy distillates. It’s a track that represents him twice reworking his own music. The story goes as follows. Back in the late 1990s, when microsound — music made from, and expressing the inherent qualities of, low-level noises — was coming into its own, he released an album titled Postfabricated. There were, as he tells it, production issues; in particular, he writes, “a studio engineer not accustomed to this type of recorded material compromised the details of the sounds.” He subsequently tried to reconstruct the music from scratch, yielding a collection he titled Repostfabricated. And in turn he gave the source material to a slate of musicians and asked them to rework it, yielding PostPostfabricated. Among those musicians were CoH, Vend, Asmus Tietchens, Frank Bretschneider, Goem, Taylor Deupree, Alva Noto, Freiband, Sogar, Byetone, Matmos, Steve Roden, and Chartier himself. “Pfiler” is his reworking of his reworking of his own work:
5 Most Recent Comments
Erika Nesse: "Wow, thanks for the in depth commentary. I can give some insight as to the process: you’re right..."
Mike Fuchs: "WOW!!! I love the work created by virtually every artist this week! It seems like visual directions for..."
Ian Joyce: "Just uploaded one – https://soundcloud.com/ikjoyce /cold-embrace-disquiet0224-col dembrace The..."
Peter Courtemanche: "Those little robots .. http://absolutevalueofnoise.ca /2006_preying/ The Martian Chronicles..."
Martin Colborn: "Many thanks for the share and kind words Marc. Gunners Pool is a limestone chasm in a piece of..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0226: Compose music for a fictional greatest-hits collection of the electronic music of R. Buckminster Fuller. • 0225: Sight read a late-1940s painting by Argentine artist Lidy Prati as a graphically notated score. • 0224: Make music with the sound of a refrigerator as its foundation. • 0223: Record multiple, slightly varying takes on the same looped composition in this project by Monome's Brian Crabtree. • 0222: Compose a piece for contemporary dance — with a "soft top" and a "shifting bottom."
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like