- February 10 is the birthday of both @carlstone and @robert_henke. I think this should be some sort of electronic holiday. ->
- Not that anyone should look at a screen on a beautiful San Francisco day such as this, but who are Richmond District tweeters I should know? ->
- Kinda missed Dilla Day due to tending to my then-semi-ailing kid, but by chance had listened to Dilla anyhow. Kids like Donuts. ->
- Is there any way to get iBooks-style continuous scrolling in FBReader? ->
- How perfect that the first entry in our remix project of Endless Ascent netlabel is, per chance, by @Icarus_Descent: http://t.co/lSzme8ob ->
- "Aardvark—Fiction." #loc ->
- Visual remnant of what Chinese New Year sounded like: http://t.co/FJCtr51p ->
- Impromptu Craigslist road trip. Crate digging. http://t.co/99YiJfBB ->
- I already miss looking forward to Steven Soderbergh films. ->
- Scored four 12"s at Craigslist crate dig: Art of Noise's Gunn, Ice T's Rich & Famous, INXS' What You Need, Geto Boys' Mind Playing Tricks. ->
- Thank you for making my week. RT @PennSound: Christian Hawkey took silences from 45 readings by Ashbery on PennSound: http://t.co/0VWV4mzZ ->
- Audio recording I made today during Chinese New Year celebrations in the Tenderloin: https://t.co/eOzlnkGy ->
- Realized that old Ice-T 12" I snagged today of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous" isn't the original but, better yet, a DJ Premier remix. ->
- Mostly for @robsheff @christianbok @tomcomitta: The silences of John Ashbery. What the poet says when he says nothing: http://t.co/uvkXdEgV ->
- Afternoon score on day I watch my 2.5-year-old: foreground is toddler's light snoring; background is neighbor's leaf blower. ->
- Almost 20 tracks reworking various releases from the Endless Ascent netlabel: https://t.co/GJH0W5sv Cc @djunto ->
- Thanks! MT @SoundCloud: @djunto is an open communal soundmaking group. Hear latest project celebrating Creative Commons http://t.co/yilizcp9 ->
- Dear Anyone: I rarely tweet health whines but my poor little kid's pink eye is the primary reason I haven't replied to your email/post/tweet ->
- Arnold Lobel's kids book Frog & Toad Are Friends works well with Frog in John Cage's voice & Toad in Morton Feldman's. #noiseparent #protip ->
- Not surprised that Kraftwerk bio author pops up on a Resonance FM podcast. Just surprised it was on the cycling show: http://t.co/DaVsVZJ3 ->
- Sound of the library where I'm getting some work done: https://t.co/w3J0jEf9 ->
- Even more addicted to Thomas Newman's Side Effects score than I'd expected to be. "Houston Free Meds" in particular. ->
- Side Effects reminds me of first time I took note of Thomas Newman's name, due to percussive classical performance in movie Men Don't Leave. ->
- Not into reality TV but would watch doc about Android/Apple fanboys who battle in blog comments. Inconvenient Troll? Troll to the Dark Side? ->
- Caleb Kelly (aka @caleb_k), author of Cracked Media: The Sound of Malfunction, has a new blog: http://t.co/DNACA4LF. ->
- Theme of this week's Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project is sonic autobiography. Starts Thursday. It's #59 in the ongoing series. ->
- 4 hours ago I posted the sound of a room where I sat alone in the library: https://t.co/w3J0jEf9. 120 listens later, I sure feel less alone. ->
- Ooh, a remix (by @happypuppyrecs) of my library HVAC drone recording: https://t.co/wPN4gtp3. #dronesofdrones ->
- My Nexus 4 hasn't gotten 4.2.2 yet, no. Thanks for askin'. ->
- Reading story collections by Paolo Bacigalupi and Kelly Link. Beautiful, but so florid I may read a catalog about concrete when I'm done. ->
- 2nd class today of my weekly @academy_of_art sound course: dead celebrities, oral history, audio ecology, listening exercise, synesthesia ->
- Information flows through this: http://t.co/N6Bh8JXx ->
- The autobiography @djunto project has been delayed a week. This week's involves the human voice and requires a die (i.e., singular of dice). ->
- Paolo Bacigalupi's short story “The People of Sand and Slag" is not something you want to have finished reading just before lunch. ->
- Same thing's happening now with Stonesthrow as with Touch Radio, where the podcast shows on RSS before the web page. Weird. ->
- Google's TTS (text to speech) is radically reducing my mobile music intake in favor of blog posts and ebooks. ->
- I didn't post special Valentine's Day music on Disquiet (.com) today. I just, as always, posted music that I love. ->
- The 59th Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project begins momentarily. It requires a single die and your mouth. ->
- The 59th @djunto project is now live at http://t.co/a4zJ5Mlw + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #vowels #choral #drone #random #dice ->
- Excellent. Got access to my Twitter archive. Looking forward to digging in. Cc @lhalff ->
- "Reading the Settings options." 19 Jun 07 #twitterarchive #firsttweet ->
- "The air conditioning has stopped. All the better to hear my hard drive whir." 21 Jun 07 #twitterarchive ->
- I have mentioned HVAC 31 times (well, now 31) on Twitter. #twitterarchive ->
- I have mentioned Pink Floyd five times and pink eye once since joining Twitter. #twitterarchive ->
- Based on this graph 2010 is the year I really got underway on Twitter though I joined back in mid-2007. http://t.co/lday3jRD ->
- I was on Twitter 339 days before using the word "ambient." #twitterarchive ->
- I was on Twitter 109 days before using the word "noise." #twitterarchive ->
- Greene on Zero Hour, Carter on Falling Skies, Corday on Dr. Who and Arrow. How did ER take over TV science fiction? ->
- Was reading about "secure USB debugging" in Android 4.2.2. Does this conflict at all with @idisplayapp's USB connect? http://t.co/4YkA5rgV ->
- Ooh, already a work in this week's "choral drones from vowels" @djunto project: https://t.co/rXhRUfyq by @xyzr_kx ->
- We should approximate holding "yay," "die." MT @Nonwrestler: @disquiet 2 dipthongs there (A, I); physically impossible to hold as "constant" ->
- Current choral drone @djunto project has been, inevitably, picked up by one of those automated paper.li news aggregators on military drones. ->
- Useful reminder about how to type "smart" quotes in OS X: http://t.co/5VscWMpa ->
- "It’s hard to hear the words over the noise of weapons, vehicles and Marco Beltrami’s bludgeoning score" (A.O. Scott on the new Die Hard.) ->
- Beautiful. MT @echosonic: New for @djunto: Miroitant de l'eau [disquiet0059-vwls] by @echosonic via @soundcloud https://t.co/Ezqz6oAh ->
- Apparently "watermarked" means "so complicated to download that you never actually get to listen to it." ->
- Someone will assign Jonathan Lethem to review the new Glenn Frankel book on The Searchers, right? ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Mike: "Hey Marc- Thanks for this. I am really looking forward to the variety of sounds being created! "
Mikael: "Hi Marc and thank you for this – this will incredibly fun to hear, and I’m really excited to be..."
George De Bruin: "It’s amazing what these people think is a good way to handle their business. It seems like..."
Serge: "Great music. Enjoyed the ride. "
Derval: "Hi there, Great article/interview. What might be an interesting twist would be a revisit for a compare and..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
- December 20 - January 4, 2015: Social-media blackout.
- January 28, 2015: First spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm only teaching it one semester this year, just to make time for other activities.
- Early February 2015: Speaking engagement in San Francisco. Details to follow.
- February 13, 2015: First anniversary of the release of my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
- February 22, 2015: Final day of the exhibit Momentum at the San Jose Museum of Art, featuring my three-screen, 21-track installation "Sonic Frame."
- May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
- December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
- Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: 0128: Write a score to accompany a short piece of text you wrote a year ago today. • 0129: Create tones to match five of the new emoji. • 0130: Create a composition by altering an ongoing loop • 0131: Create a composition that naturally extends from the whistle of a tea kettle. • 0132: Collaborate with the late Jeffrey (Nofi) Melton using a previous tribute track. • 0133: Compose an especially short and concise composition. • 0134: Compose music to accompany one minute of a dance video by Cori Marquis. • 0135: Record the sonic equivalent of air conditioning. • 0136: Recombinate work from the netlabels Nowaki, Phantom Channel, and Rec72. • 0137: Produce an original piece of music that fits the genre "old-time electronica." ... There is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice