- February 10 is the birthday of both @carlstone and @robert_henke. I think this should be some sort of electronic holiday. ->
- Not that anyone should look at a screen on a beautiful San Francisco day such as this, but who are Richmond District tweeters I should know? ->
- Kinda missed Dilla Day due to tending to my then-semi-ailing kid, but by chance had listened to Dilla anyhow. Kids like Donuts. ->
- Is there any way to get iBooks-style continuous scrolling in FBReader? ->
- How perfect that the first entry in our remix project of Endless Ascent netlabel is, per chance, by @Icarus_Descent: http://t.co/lSzme8ob ->
- "Aardvark—Fiction." #loc ->
- Visual remnant of what Chinese New Year sounded like: http://t.co/FJCtr51p ->
- Impromptu Craigslist road trip. Crate digging. http://t.co/99YiJfBB ->
- I already miss looking forward to Steven Soderbergh films. ->
- Scored four 12"s at Craigslist crate dig: Art of Noise's Gunn, Ice T's Rich & Famous, INXS' What You Need, Geto Boys' Mind Playing Tricks. ->
- Thank you for making my week. RT @PennSound: Christian Hawkey took silences from 45 readings by Ashbery on PennSound: http://t.co/0VWV4mzZ ->
- Audio recording I made today during Chinese New Year celebrations in the Tenderloin: https://t.co/eOzlnkGy ->
- Realized that old Ice-T 12" I snagged today of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous" isn't the original but, better yet, a DJ Premier remix. ->
- Mostly for @robsheff @christianbok @tomcomitta: The silences of John Ashbery. What the poet says when he says nothing: http://t.co/uvkXdEgV ->
- Afternoon score on day I watch my 2.5-year-old: foreground is toddler's light snoring; background is neighbor's leaf blower. ->
- Almost 20 tracks reworking various releases from the Endless Ascent netlabel: https://t.co/GJH0W5sv Cc @djunto ->
- Thanks! MT @SoundCloud: @djunto is an open communal soundmaking group. Hear latest project celebrating Creative Commons http://t.co/yilizcp9 ->
- Dear Anyone: I rarely tweet health whines but my poor little kid's pink eye is the primary reason I haven't replied to your email/post/tweet ->
- Arnold Lobel's kids book Frog & Toad Are Friends works well with Frog in John Cage's voice & Toad in Morton Feldman's. #noiseparent #protip ->
- Not surprised that Kraftwerk bio author pops up on a Resonance FM podcast. Just surprised it was on the cycling show: http://t.co/DaVsVZJ3 ->
- Sound of the library where I'm getting some work done: https://t.co/w3J0jEf9 ->
- Even more addicted to Thomas Newman's Side Effects score than I'd expected to be. "Houston Free Meds" in particular. ->
- Side Effects reminds me of first time I took note of Thomas Newman's name, due to percussive classical performance in movie Men Don't Leave. ->
- Not into reality TV but would watch doc about Android/Apple fanboys who battle in blog comments. Inconvenient Troll? Troll to the Dark Side? ->
- Caleb Kelly (aka @caleb_k), author of Cracked Media: The Sound of Malfunction, has a new blog: http://t.co/DNACA4LF. ->
- Theme of this week's Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project is sonic autobiography. Starts Thursday. It's #59 in the ongoing series. ->
- 4 hours ago I posted the sound of a room where I sat alone in the library: https://t.co/w3J0jEf9. 120 listens later, I sure feel less alone. ->
- Ooh, a remix (by @happypuppyrecs) of my library HVAC drone recording: https://t.co/wPN4gtp3. #dronesofdrones ->
- My Nexus 4 hasn't gotten 4.2.2 yet, no. Thanks for askin'. ->
- Reading story collections by Paolo Bacigalupi and Kelly Link. Beautiful, but so florid I may read a catalog about concrete when I'm done. ->
- 2nd class today of my weekly @academy_of_art sound course: dead celebrities, oral history, audio ecology, listening exercise, synesthesia ->
- Information flows through this: http://t.co/N6Bh8JXx ->
- The autobiography @djunto project has been delayed a week. This week's involves the human voice and requires a die (i.e., singular of dice). ->
- Paolo Bacigalupi's short story “The People of Sand and Slag" is not something you want to have finished reading just before lunch. ->
- Same thing's happening now with Stonesthrow as with Touch Radio, where the podcast shows on RSS before the web page. Weird. ->
- Google's TTS (text to speech) is radically reducing my mobile music intake in favor of blog posts and ebooks. ->
- I didn't post special Valentine's Day music on Disquiet (.com) today. I just, as always, posted music that I love. ->
- The 59th Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project begins momentarily. It requires a single die and your mouth. ->
- The 59th @djunto project is now live at http://t.co/a4zJ5Mlw + http://t.co/XdREURGZ #vowels #choral #drone #random #dice ->
- Excellent. Got access to my Twitter archive. Looking forward to digging in. Cc @lhalff ->
- "Reading the Settings options." 19 Jun 07 #twitterarchive #firsttweet ->
- "The air conditioning has stopped. All the better to hear my hard drive whir." 21 Jun 07 #twitterarchive ->
- I have mentioned HVAC 31 times (well, now 31) on Twitter. #twitterarchive ->
- I have mentioned Pink Floyd five times and pink eye once since joining Twitter. #twitterarchive ->
- Based on this graph 2010 is the year I really got underway on Twitter though I joined back in mid-2007. http://t.co/lday3jRD ->
- I was on Twitter 339 days before using the word "ambient." #twitterarchive ->
- I was on Twitter 109 days before using the word "noise." #twitterarchive ->
- Greene on Zero Hour, Carter on Falling Skies, Corday on Dr. Who and Arrow. How did ER take over TV science fiction? ->
- Was reading about "secure USB debugging" in Android 4.2.2. Does this conflict at all with @idisplayapp's USB connect? http://t.co/4YkA5rgV ->
- Ooh, already a work in this week's "choral drones from vowels" @djunto project: https://t.co/rXhRUfyq by @xyzr_kx ->
- We should approximate holding "yay," "die." MT @Nonwrestler: @disquiet 2 dipthongs there (A, I); physically impossible to hold as "constant" ->
- Current choral drone @djunto project has been, inevitably, picked up by one of those automated paper.li news aggregators on military drones. ->
- Useful reminder about how to type "smart" quotes in OS X: http://t.co/5VscWMpa ->
- "It’s hard to hear the words over the noise of weapons, vehicles and Marco Beltrami’s bludgeoning score" (A.O. Scott on the new Die Hard.) ->
- Beautiful. MT @echosonic: New for @djunto: Miroitant de l'eau [disquiet0059-vwls] by @echosonic via @soundcloud https://t.co/Ezqz6oAh ->
- Apparently "watermarked" means "so complicated to download that you never actually get to listen to it." ->
- Someone will assign Jonathan Lethem to review the new Glenn Frankel book on The Searchers, right? ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Lee Rosevere: "Brave New Waves was an institution here in Canada as some of the best and most ground-breaking radio..."
Lukas: "Oops, the link to stream or buy it: https://earthrid.bandcamp.com/ album/ive-had-dreams-like-this "
Lukas: "If you enjoy this, recommend her album “I’ve had dreams like this” which is some really..."
robin: "Cool! Very informative post thanks for sharing this to us get soundcloud services "
jmmy kppl: "thanks for the write-up Marc! I’m never totally sure how transparent i should be about sound..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• May 13, 2015: Last spring-semester class meeting of the 15-week course that I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'll next teach it in spring 2016.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: • 0186: Explore the sonic contours of a word you've spelled out loud frequently: your name. • 0185: Summon up a memory, and then summarize it in sound. • 0184: Explore the relationship between segments that consist of 1 bar, 8 bars, and 4 bars. • 0183: Insert something that plays across the stereo spectrum in an after-dark field recording. • 0182: Do a rendition of Ethan Hein's laptop orchestra score by yourself. • 0181: Imagine your favorite instrument is dreaming while it sleeps — what does it sound like? • 0180: Use the Russian nesting dolls as a model for a musical composition. • 0179: Show off (and explain) one thing you've learned recently about an instrument/tool. • 0178: Emphasize the bells in an urban field recording. • 0177: Netlabel Portrait Use samples of recent Dark Winter Records releases to produce a sonic image of the label:
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like