Peter Hamlin, aka the Holocene, is, by his own description, making music “all about super volcanoes and asteroid impact craters.” The track he’s posted thus far, “Yellowstone Caldera,” is piercing if slow-paced feedback that gives way to bluesy guitar phrases and broken radio signals. It’s all blissfully zoned-out yet surreptitiously eager to peak in a manner that would test most speaker systems.
5 Most Recent Comments
Amy Schuyler: "It’s unfortunate that Brendan Landis didn’t cite the names of the pianists whose..."
Siaosi: "I would have to admit. Art to me is music. It could be poems, words, or even just being able to feel the..."
Dave Stafford: "Marc – thanks for your kind words, Borderlands is a truly creative and remarkable music making..."
Matthew McVickar: "This is fantastic! Devin Powers/SineRider has specified the pedals used in the description of the..."
Manley Roberts: "Put this on for the phone app please "
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0230 / Design I: Interpret a graphic score (never before performed or realized) from the mid-1970s. • 0229 / Fourth Worldizing: Make a piece of music with one sound source recorded three different ways. • 0228 / Three Mics: Make a piece of music with one sound source recorded three different ways. • 0227 / Treated Chord: Record a piece of music in which what changes is the treatment of the notes that comprise a single chord. • 0226 / Bucky Ball: Compose music for a fictional greatest-hits collection of the electronic music of R. Buckminster Fuller.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like