- NaturalReader (iOS) and FBReader with TTS Plugin (Android) are my new jams. ->
- By far the top search term on Disquiet (.com) this week has been "cello" — followed, distantly, by "improvising" and, then, by "Xenakis." ->
- All Tomorrow's Partitions #velvetcyborg ->
- I'm Sticking With USB #velvetcyborg ->
- I'll Be Your Mirror Site #velvetcyborg ->
- Creative Suite Jane #velvetcyborg ->
- Peel Slowly and C++ #velvetcyborg ->
- Oh! Sweet Null Set #velvetcyborg ->
- I thought "All Tomorrow's Partitions" was a kinda obvious joke but Google brings up just two other references since 1999, both about Windows ->
- Hmm, come to think of it, I've been talking with a publication about a column. Maybe "All Tomorrow's Partitions" is its name. Hmm. ->
- Cool IT Down #velvetcyborg ->
- Sysop Ray #velvetcyborg ->
- Hey Mr. RAID #velvetcyborg ->
- No : plebiscite :: Waterworld : atoll ->
- The @djunto hit 1,810 tracks by 304 active members in 59 weeks. Gorgeous work made from 3 random vowels this week: https://t.co/omMowbWd ->
- Playground with playchimes: http://t.co/mpy74cb0 ->
- Hey, OS X Hive: Any tips on Spotlight going into CPU overdrive? I've got "helpd" and "mdworker" often eating up my CPU. ->
- Thanks to everyone who joined in on #velvetcyborg. That was fun. ->
- My favorite thing about ongoing choral drone @djunto project ( https://t.co/B6hW8OuB ) is hearing voices of participants I've spoken with. ->
- Quote's new to me but he was my college professor: "In programming, as in everything else, to be in error is to be reborn." —Alan J. Perlis ->
- If I watch The Conversation one more time I'll be arrested for stalking, but 1) I love it + 2) we're discussing in my sound class this week. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco loud and clear on drizzly day, the post-siren message echoing into the distance. ->
- Paolo Salvagione's One for Each, nearing end of production at the San Francisco Center for the Book: http://t.co/iNOi2UIp ->
- Detail of the "sound" drawer from Paolo Salvagione's One for Each: http://t.co/oJvTEXSs ->
- Presumably this speaker will be unwrapped at a future date: http://t.co/LukW1VVd ->
- We are signing our work at the San Francisco Center for the Book: http://t.co/vDq9Br8w ->
- Today in my "sound" class, week 3: music & narrative from "silent" films (#retronym) to score-less TV (e.g. Southland) via The Conversation. ->
- .@dpnem Yeah, after opening orchestral fanfare, nothing but real-world sound. No doubt some foley, but no musical score. #southland in reply to dpnem ->
- RIP, Soft Machine vocalist/bassist Kevin Ayers (b. 1944): http://t.co/RgDvTHdVdC ->
- Complete score to Upstream Color streaming free: https://t.co/Mj6aj7WvuG via @ethanhein ->
- My Nexus 4 is now getting (via wifi) the OTA to Android 4.2.2. See you on the other side. ->
- Maybe it's semi-placebo effect, maybe it's the crud-removal inherent in an OS upgrade, but Android 4.2.2 seems pretty zippy. ->
- Man, Yoko Ono and the late Nina Simone were born four days apart in 1933. Happy 80th to them both! ->
- RIP, video game developer Kenji Eno (b. 1970), whose work includes the audio-only Real Sound: Kaze no Regret. ->
- We're about to embark on the 60th weekly Disquiet Junto project. ->
- The 60th Disquiet Junto (@djunto) project's about audiobio(graphy). Details: http://t.co/UDlhffyVHt + https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L Cc @SoundCloud ->
- That's the spirit(s). MT @Schemawound: Prepping for this weeks @djunto (plus irreverent cat). http://t.co/gDc7RImLH9 ->
- Why ambient music is louder than you think. #slatepitches ->
- Why hearing is as much a sense as Pluto is a planet. #slatepitches ->
- True audiophile contrarians only listen to their LPs backwards. #slatepitches ->
- Why 128kbps is the optimal compression rate. #slatepitches ->
- Why TV advertisements actually aren't loud enough. #slatepitches ->
- Why real media aficionados only use the RealMedia format. #slatepitches ht @piesaac ->
- Why the mute button on your laptop is unconstitutional. #slatepitches ->
- The awkward thing about these #slatepitches is that I'm working on an article in praise of text-to-speech. ->
- Why the standing ovation is the best thing to happen to classical music. #slatepitches ->
- So great getting to hear @djunto members talk about their lives and sounds: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L #audiobio ->
- Why does my iPad tell me I'm not connected to the Internet and, thus, can't update to 6.1 when, clearly, I am connected to the Internet? ->
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice