“Sweetened Air,” by Specta Ciera, is an appropriate title for a piece that appears to mix field recordings and synthesized sound in near equal amounts. One can hear the artificial tonal material as an additive to the raw, everyday sounds. Glistening, shimmering tones mix in with the rattle and whir of what seem to be passing cars and the light rustle of life. One can consider the “artificial” material just that, an artificial sweetener, as it were — or perhaps as something else entirely: the less natural-sounding material could be field recordings of a more fantastic sort, not immediately identifiable, and thus all the more evocative.
5 Most Recent Comments
radiocitizen: "For everything about Brian Eno: http://www.moredarkthanshark and http://twitter.com/dark_shark "
Tweezerfetish: "Yeah, how the hell has that sea organ track got 2.7 million listens? Is it number one in the..."
Tom Anderson: "Great interview, and thanks for turning me on to a great site. "
all n4tural: "nevermind, audacity on OSX was able to do it. if there is any interest, i could upload — not..."
all n4tural: "hi, the source files are m4a — i’m not finding it easy converting to a useable format...."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 7, 2015: At 7:30pm I'll be discussing the Disquiet Junto with Fusion's Alexis Madrigal as part of the Real Future of Sound event in San Francisco at realfuturefair.com.
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• Around November 30, 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0204: Add a foundational rhythm to an ambient foreground • 0203: Add something to a rhythm track titled "It." • 0202: Create an audiobook chapter from the new essay collection The Cost of Freedom. • 0201: Encapsulate an album for efficient yet meaningful consumption. • 0200: Create a score to a Richard Kadrey short story — using his own voice as source audio.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like