- Man, it's only Saturday and already 21 tracks imagining @textinstagram tweets as their cover images: https://t.co/Xj4dNmeMFE ->
- "This was the first time in nine years that 'Hit the Lights' was performed in Brisbane." The beautiful data of LiveMetallica downloads. ->
- Hopeful that Spike Lee's Oldboy will be less a remake of the extravagant Oldboy movie and more an adaptation of the restrained Oldboy manga. ->
- Sculpture at playground http://t.co/1C4V9sWIWk ->
- I wrote about my affection for the new @Wayne_TheTrain album (on @BSHQ) for @csindependent: http://t.co/sYfq79WzJP ->
- I'm part of the 1% — the apparent 1% of the TV-viewing population who highly enjoyed the now cancelled absurdity called Zero Hour. ->
- The second of two live Autechre streaming events this weekend begins on the hour here: http://t.co/UALlmMg7vl ->
- Indeedy. MT @gr3gjsmith: AE mixes = cratedigger paradise. MT @disquiet: Live streaming Autechre event begins shortly: http://t.co/yqL8fMH3yc ->
- The room was empty at the time. Now over 100 people have listened to the drone of my doctor's office: https://t.co/89razZ3vOr ->
- Tomorrow is week 5 of my sound class. The subject is product design, from the crunch of potato chips to Facebook's new notification burp. ->
- You'd think it'd be easier to have a single .txt file accessible through a click on the OS X (top) menu bar. Well, I would. ->
- Almost missed the San Francisco Tuesday noon siren but UPS guy opened door to doctor's office just after it had begun. ->
- If you're on academia dot edu, I'm at: http://t.co/lEhaBaMe6L ->
- There are only 6 films tagged as "sound design" on @letterboxd ->
- Bringing the Third Place to the First and Second Places: http://t.co/jh2p54uqmb. Very cool. Thanks, @mrdanielcarter + @colossal in reply to mrdanielcarter ->
- I'd like to thank @facebook for introducing its annoying notification beep just in time for my class' week on sound in product design. ->
- Nearing-midnight sounds: rumble of clothes dryer, occasional automobile bounding over street temporarily lined with massive metal plates. ->
- My Kindle 7" died. May is months away. Someone at Google wants an abstract-sound musician/organizer to beta test the next Nexus 7, right? ->
- This week's @djunto will be music for/from sine waves. ->
- Indeed. In this case, the waves will be recognizable as such. RT @nynexrepublic: @disquiet @djunto all music is made of sine waves! :) ->
- Commitment is changing your default .txt editor. Just moved from TextEdit to Mou. ->
- The 62nd @djunto project has begun at http://t.co/DYQtwPTLgO + https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I and it's gone to the http://t.co/ABeKP0V8GQ e-list. ->
- My café observation of the day is that laptop entropy leads people to Facebook while iPad entropy leads people to the app store. ->
- Sweet! MT @Schemawound: I can't tell you how many times I got told that while helping put this together: http://t.co/mGFnT8d5Ga ->
- Being retweeted by your friend's teenager is a proud moment. ->
- It is not a good thing that SXSW produces more email PR than the Grammys do. ->
- Sonic resources: MT @analogue01: For anyone who needs sine waves for this week's @djunto: http://t.co/WN6ooZmzDd ->
- Not a speaker: http://t.co/yaLWGWzGrv ->
- The more remote of two listening posts in neighborhood playground: http://t.co/rSAUrxcqF6 ->
- There is a certain beauty to an ebook at night, the only light in the otherwise dark room, glowing text suspended in midair. ->
- Listening to Jeff Beal's House of Cards score while typing alone at home. My paperclips and stapler are conspiring against my coffee cup. ->
- Music made from a trio of sine waves: https://t.co/Pm87dAjR7z. Already 4 tracks in the latest @djunto project, #62. ->
- Giving @ThisIsMyJam another go. I remain http://t.co/I6hBjhsl7O over there. ->
- An open form letter to publicists (and to bands/coders/artists who serve as their own publicist): http://t.co/7GtcWqj3Bk. ->
- As a longtime Richmond District resident I'm sad to learn that @haigsdelicacies' Clement Street store is closing. #hummus #muhamarra #dolmas ->
- Apparently #muhamarra is a far less frequently used hashtag than either #hummus or #dolmas. ->
- Finding more people on @vineapp to follow than @appdotnet. But I guess I'm less picky about visuals than conversation. I'm @disquiet on ADN. ->
- Exploring the sonic potential of @vineapp: http://t.co/KBrmDS4jod. Featuring several loops by @MattCBarlow. #vrone ->
- Gotta love a test-to-speech service that mispronounces "transliterate." ->
- “I promise to take good care of you” is what I find myself saying when I install a ROM. Got my gen 1 Kindle Fire running Jelly Bean 4.2.2. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
Chris: "Love this post, Marc. A great slice of this year’s news … "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice