- This is when I remember that the gen 1 Kindle Fire lacked Bluetooth so while putting Android 4.2.2 was neat it can't connect with a keyboard ->
- RIP, Yes guitarist Peter Banks (b. 1947). His work on Beatles cover "Every Little Thing" was an early fave of mine http://t.co/m6VtTKAdYj ->
- This week's @djunto project will involve Gregorian chant and the sounds inherent in architectural spaces. ->
- Tuesday noon siren heard against loud street repaving. Municipal anxiety meets municipal mundanity: https://t.co/HUjYU68FHl ->
- My whole house is reverberating like the inside of a harpsichord as outside massive machines pave our street. ->
- The foghorns are randy tonight. ->
- "It was also the first time that 'Misery' was added to a set that did not include a full performance of The Black Album." #metallicadata ->
- Today in sound class: the retail space as aural space: Ray Oldenburg, commodifying/porting the third place, playlists versus jingles. ->
- There are plenty of alternatives but I am sad about the end of Google Reader. Anticipating phantom pain. http://t.co/j4288PnMH5 ->
- What's the app.net of Reader? ->
- So far in my post–Google Reader search, @feedly looks nifty, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to sort feeds alphabetically. ->
- "The thought of refurbished earbuds may be a little off-putting." Sentence of the day, from @cheapskateblog: http://t.co/0zWZbPzBLD ->
- Morning stream: James Blake working with Brian Eno on the downtempo, maudlin "Digital Lion": https://t.co/oYJh8zI9XM ->
- So @feedly allows for alphabetical order of feed groupings. You need to do it manually in Organize. In the lead for my post-Reader life. ->
- Ooh, better yet, you can just move the folders up and down in the left bar in @feedly. This is in the browser service, not the mobile app. ->
- Yeah, I have de-@flipboard'd the options, too. MT @lownote: @disquiet Taking @feedly for a run. Turned off most of fancy bells/whistles. ->
- Been watching Dollhouse. At first it seemed egregiously Skinemaxy, but man does it kick in. Whedon had a serious long view on that series. ->
- I guest blogged on @SoundCloud about the ongoing audiobio(graphy) project: https://t.co/KTIQTopQFw. I highly encourage people to record one. ->
- The 63rd @djunto project will involve Gregorian Chant. It goes live in a few hours. #whitesmoke #echo #architecture ->
- This is my occasional "Is anyone I correspond with here also on http://t.co/pobd7CBqdg?" mention. I'm @disquiet over there, too. ->
- Google: keep Google Reader running. Sign the petition here: https://t.co/M6yK9Bv4Mu via @change ->
- Veronica Mars strikes me as a Google Reader user. Just sayin'. ->
- This is me being anxious that short-sighted product managers will see Reader's demise as a cue to ankle RSS: http://t.co/TNyYbGbU68. ->
- 63rd @djunto project involves rerecording Gregorian chant to explore echo and architecture: http://t.co/Q3lciIzPCN + https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L ->
- #gregorianorianian #echo #reverb #looping #reflection #architecture #djunto ->
- Adding echo-related effects to echo-laden Gregorian chant: https://t.co/BNTZNeWMky. The first in this week's @djunto is by Rizzi (Denmark). ->
- Thing I'd like to turn off in @feedly app is the "cover" treatment in a feed's list view. False prominence, even when pretty, isn't good UX. ->
- If you have access to the British Google Play store, could you shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org? I'd like to check something. Thanks. ->
- Silly fun monitor test: Macbook Air running external 23", 7" tablet + 4.7" phone (Android) via iDisplay, iPad via AirDisplay. Back to work. ->
- The folks who bought @delicious should buy @googlereader and amp up the whole social bookmarking thing. ->
- "Twitter/ADN replaces RSS" is the new "Facebook killed email." And, no, I don't believe either. ->
- That thing where you take a screenshot of your phone, then touch the screenshot and don't understand why the controls aren't responding. ->
- Your diet's rich in science fiction if you come upon the term "post-colonial" and start thinking about Kim Stanley Robinson and Ray Bradbury ->
- Yo all you "Twitter beats RSS" people: tell me how to use Twitter (w/o RSS) to search for the word "sound" in full posts from 100 art blogs. ->
- Judging by the exuberant screaming in the neighborhood, I assume spring break just began. ->
- This nine-stage reduction of Gregorian chant to mere overtones is stunning in its elegance: https://t.co/2awIBHK3I8 ->
- This track was an inspiration for the 63rd @djunto. RT @inky: "Jo Burzynska plays a space back into itself" http://t.co/RjXo231Q3g ->
- Say what you will about Microsoft Silverlight — it can go full screen in OS X without turning the other screens blank, unlike native apps. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Jason Richardson: "They’ve got a case of shingles! "
icastico: "Lovely piece. I have been focused on the piano, and particularly solo piano, a lot lately. As a drummer..."
Lance A Schart: "I’ve had the privilege of hearing the new Lanois album take shape, various iterations of..."
all n4tural: "Cool, congrats Marc! "
MichaelAshSharbaugh: "I’m so pleased with the write-up, and so proud to be a virile participant in the Junto!..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• November 21, 2015: Start of semi-annual social-media absentia (through January 4, 2016).
• Early December 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 4, 2016: End of semi-annual social-media absentia (started November 21, 2015).
• February 3, 2016: First class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• May 18, 2016: Final class session of the 15-week course I teach at the San Francisco Academy of Art on the role of sound in the media landscape.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0238 / Magnifying Contant / The Assignment: Record a piece of music, emphasizing the sounds of production over the music itself. • 0237 / Combination ABCs / The Assignment: Build a 90-second composition from three 10-second segments. • 0236 / Hello Jun(t)o / The Assignment: Say hi to the Juno Spacecraft by embedding Morse code in an original composition. • 0235 / Dice Music / The Assignment: Create a piece of music based on a structure determined by the roll of a single die. • 0234 / Remix Ximer / The Assignment: Make a remix of three tracks of a remix of three tracks, courtesy of a Creative Commons license.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice