- Excellent news to wake to: @feedly says line-item format (a la the soon-to-be-late @googlereader) coming to its RSS mobile app shortly. ->
- Quiet time at the Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/JhBfCQipRq ->
- "Night Chorus": Sign from insect hall at Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/bE4QQ58NNx ->
- 12 tracks so far of a Gregorian chant recording played back in a reverberant space and then transformed further: https://t.co/BNTZNeWMky ->
- I'm a total @sublimehq noob. Can one mimic Mou's multi-size font treatment in Sublime 2? ->
- You think SoundCloud kicked up an unusual "related" track but the laptop's on mute and it's just café mechanisms, traffic, and conversation. ->
- Noise: A Human History. A 30-part documentary being presented starting tomorrow, March 18, on BBC 4 by @DavidJHendy: http://t.co/9wOy6miDK1. ->
- Was the gag line about the Nazi sub in the March 8 episode of Nikita a dig at the canceled Zero Hour? ->
- This BBC 1 broadcast about Roland 808s, 303s, and 909s is only online for another 22 hours: http://t.co/sMPNOp2iBW (as of 5pm Pacific 3/17). ->
- Was beginning Three Stigmata by PKD but think I may reread Stross' Accelerando for the third or fourth time instead. ->
- I really need to rethink or just jettison the "Elsewhere" (i.e., links) page on Disquiet. ->
- Final hours of project where Gregorian chant recording is played back in reverberant space, including a church: https://t.co/0L1lCLjFWy ->
- Tuesday noon siren while on phone, and then phone disoconnects. ->
- Google text-to-speech is great except to the extent that it is cutting into my music-listening time. ->
- Not a speaker (large pipes). http://t.co/1xmbHUz8c8 ->
- Not a speaker (small pipes). http://t.co/5btPcE1KfM ->
- Weird coverage of eMusic merger with ebook company mentions company's founder, Ray Kurzweil, but not his music past: http://t.co/k7UJYCOpeP ->
- Google Drive releases API allowing realtime access from third-party apps. Could this mean a cloud music player that bypasses Google Music? ->
- That's when I left. MT @jbutlerjbutler: @disquiet I used to love eMusic until they added major labels and raised their prices. ->
- That thing where you find someone you know on Twitter you didn't know was on Twitter. It's like realizing they live on the same block. ->
- Restaurant in my 'hood closed after three weeks and resulting discussion is like Parallax View meets No Reservations: http://t.co/qmo13cZGhG ->
- Weird: 3 eMusic merger stories note Kurzweil, not his music background: http://t.co/VJf5uPy4h5 http://t.co/AjNcVv1aKO http://t.co/KUfddqBXJm ->
- Removed headphones to confirm that half the drone I'm listening to is barista vapor trail. ->
- For the record, @sex[girl's name][integer] is not my new jam. #spam ->
- That's a good idea. Let's work on it. Shoot me an email. RT @gr3gjsmith: @disquiet Has there been a spam Junto yet? ;) ->
- Today in sound class: Audacity software tutorial, constructing sonic mood boards, the rising culture of casually malleable audio ->
- 3-day ambient event in San Rafael, CA, with Micus, Rich, Roach, others. Part of @heartsofspace's 40th anniversary: http://t.co/VeaHxoZD6Y ->
- Digging Google Keep on my phone. Need to see what the desktop experience is like. ->
- Evening sounds, near to far: electric toothbrush, clothes dryer, fog horns. ->
- Great to see/hear @otolythe's entry in the @gifbites (scores for animated GIFs) series by @therourke on @soundcloud: https://t.co/yPW64QdjW3 ->
- Paused reread of Stross' Accelerando as Macx wanders around in two bodies to watch Dollhouse episode in which Topher is in two bodies. ->
- My @djunto chores got a little simpler, as the new @soundcloud mobile app update appears to have turned on sets management. ->
- This week's @djunto project's theme is "composing from memory." ->
- Th 64th weekly @djunto project has gone live at http://t.co/IdTwdeyO8Y and http://t.co/4GjGanKdHp. It involves composing from memory. ->
- "The national song." http://t.co/Nb979ntdpD ->
- I love that Time makes sure to give photo credits to its gadget/tech writers who take their own screenshots. ->
- Would all the companies not building smart watches please raise their hands? ->
- "Dance music geography" (at Amoeba in SF). http://t.co/84tc9pdII7 ->
- 5 tracks thus far in the "composing from memory" project — https://t.co/dTNoJ1nVUe — which ends Monday night. ->
5 Most Recent Posts
Late November 2103: Red Bull Music Academy releases in the U.S. the book For the Record: Conversations with People Who Have Shaped the Way We Listen to Music, for which I wrote an essay about Raster-Noton label's Carsten Nicolai and Olaf Bender.
December 18, 2013: Final class of fall semester for the course on sound in the media landscape that I teach at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. The course lasts 15 weeks.
February 13, 2014: The release date for my book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, part of Bloomsbury. It can be preordered at amazon.com.
New: There are now three Disquiet-collated “carousels” on SoundCloud streaming sets of ambient, beat-based, and “other” tracks: disquiet.com. Think of them as fluid, iterative podcasts. I've set up similar stations at Rdio, one ambient, the other beats.
Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
Down the Pike: Concerts in the Disquiet Junto series are in various stages of planning for London, England; Portland, Oregon; and elsewhere.
5 Most Recent Comments
sfdgfhgjhkjlk: "i like it! its a dinosaur! "
Larry Johnson: "A neat, abstract piece. I used samples to created something entirely different which can be found..."
PSR B1257+12: "Nit… intro text shows dates from last week, and might confuse. "
Westy: "Beautiful and gracious words. This track exists in large part b/c of the Junto, with its showcase of..."
Oleg Oksanich: "Interesting! Will buy it 4 sure. "
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: 92: Use room tone to shape a three-part suite. • 93: Combine music from three different netlabels to create one track. • 94: Record an unlikely vocal trio with the sound of a bird, a kitten, and a pig. • 95: Musicians post recent tracks with the express purpose of getting constructive feedback. • 96: Pay tribute to the late Lou Reed's noise classic. • 97: Decode the music in a phrase from a book. • 98: Combine original three spoken texts into one track. • 99: Compose an 8-bit melody based on the "E G D" startup sound of the Xbox One. • 100: Record the sound of water boiling and make something of it. • 101: Make a phase composition based on the sounds of three switches. ... There is a complete list of projects here.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games chiptune classical comics copyleft demix field-recording film forum-digger free gadget generative i-hop installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch jazz junto live-performance mp3 discussion group netlabel noise reactive remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score silence site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice