- Excellent news to wake to: @feedly says line-item format (a la the soon-to-be-late @googlereader) coming to its RSS mobile app shortly. ->
- Quiet time at the Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/JhBfCQipRq ->
- "Night Chorus": Sign from insect hall at Oakland Zoo. http://t.co/bE4QQ58NNx ->
- 12 tracks so far of a Gregorian chant recording played back in a reverberant space and then transformed further: https://t.co/BNTZNeWMky ->
- I'm a total @sublimehq noob. Can one mimic Mou's multi-size font treatment in Sublime 2? ->
- You think SoundCloud kicked up an unusual "related" track but the laptop's on mute and it's just café mechanisms, traffic, and conversation. ->
- Noise: A Human History. A 30-part documentary being presented starting tomorrow, March 18, on BBC 4 by @DavidJHendy: http://t.co/9wOy6miDK1. ->
- Was the gag line about the Nazi sub in the March 8 episode of Nikita a dig at the canceled Zero Hour? ->
- This BBC 1 broadcast about Roland 808s, 303s, and 909s is only online for another 22 hours: http://t.co/sMPNOp2iBW (as of 5pm Pacific 3/17). ->
- Was beginning Three Stigmata by PKD but think I may reread Stross' Accelerando for the third or fourth time instead. ->
- I really need to rethink or just jettison the "Elsewhere" (i.e., links) page on Disquiet. ->
- Final hours of project where Gregorian chant recording is played back in reverberant space, including a church: https://t.co/0L1lCLjFWy ->
- Tuesday noon siren while on phone, and then phone disoconnects. ->
- Google text-to-speech is great except to the extent that it is cutting into my music-listening time. ->
- Not a speaker (large pipes). http://t.co/1xmbHUz8c8 ->
- Not a speaker (small pipes). http://t.co/5btPcE1KfM ->
- Weird coverage of eMusic merger with ebook company mentions company's founder, Ray Kurzweil, but not his music past: http://t.co/k7UJYCOpeP ->
- Google Drive releases API allowing realtime access from third-party apps. Could this mean a cloud music player that bypasses Google Music? ->
- That's when I left. MT @jbutlerjbutler: @disquiet I used to love eMusic until they added major labels and raised their prices. ->
- That thing where you find someone you know on Twitter you didn't know was on Twitter. It's like realizing they live on the same block. ->
- Restaurant in my 'hood closed after three weeks and resulting discussion is like Parallax View meets No Reservations: http://t.co/qmo13cZGhG ->
- Weird: 3 eMusic merger stories note Kurzweil, not his music background: http://t.co/VJf5uPy4h5 http://t.co/AjNcVv1aKO http://t.co/KUfddqBXJm ->
- Removed headphones to confirm that half the drone I'm listening to is barista vapor trail. ->
- For the record, @sex[girl's name][integer] is not my new jam. #spam ->
- That's a good idea. Let's work on it. Shoot me an email. RT @gr3gjsmith: @disquiet Has there been a spam Junto yet? ;) ->
- Today in sound class: Audacity software tutorial, constructing sonic mood boards, the rising culture of casually malleable audio ->
- 3-day ambient event in San Rafael, CA, with Micus, Rich, Roach, others. Part of @heartsofspace's 40th anniversary: http://t.co/VeaHxoZD6Y ->
- Digging Google Keep on my phone. Need to see what the desktop experience is like. ->
- Evening sounds, near to far: electric toothbrush, clothes dryer, fog horns. ->
- Great to see/hear @otolythe's entry in the @gifbites (scores for animated GIFs) series by @therourke on @soundcloud: https://t.co/yPW64QdjW3 ->
- Paused reread of Stross' Accelerando as Macx wanders around in two bodies to watch Dollhouse episode in which Topher is in two bodies. ->
- My @djunto chores got a little simpler, as the new @soundcloud mobile app update appears to have turned on sets management. ->
- This week's @djunto project's theme is "composing from memory." ->
- Th 64th weekly @djunto project has gone live at http://t.co/IdTwdeyO8Y and http://t.co/4GjGanKdHp. It involves composing from memory. ->
- "The national song." http://t.co/Nb979ntdpD ->
- I love that Time makes sure to give photo credits to its gadget/tech writers who take their own screenshots. ->
- Would all the companies not building smart watches please raise their hands? ->
- "Dance music geography" (at Amoeba in SF). http://t.co/84tc9pdII7 ->
- 5 tracks thus far in the "composing from memory" project — https://t.co/dTNoJ1nVUe — which ends Monday night. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
King Britt: "Thank you so much. Fan of yours and the site…. gotta grab that book you released…. bravo! "
Sharps: "Great job. I love the emphasis on the songs that relate to SAW II. I hope RDJ sees this and makes an..."
Lee Rosevere: "Brave New Waves was an institution here in Canada as some of the best and most ground-breaking radio..."
Lukas: "Oops, the link to stream or buy it: https://earthrid.bandcamp.com/ album/ive-had-dreams-like-this "
Lukas: "If you enjoy this, recommend her album “I’ve had dreams like this” which is some really..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 10 most recent weekly projects: • 0191: One chord to rule them all — on several instruments. • 0190: Set two out-of-sync loops atop each other, and then add sonic glue. • 0189: Create a dense stack of attack-free tonal material from one audio source. • 0188: Take a provided track and make it more complex. • 0187: Shift between three renditions of the same melody. • 0186: Explore the sonic contours of a word you've spelled out loud frequently: your name. • 0185: Summon up a memory, and then summarize it in sound. • 0184: Explore the relationship between segments that consist of 1 bar, 8 bars, and 4 bars. • 0183: Insert something that plays across the stereo spectrum in an after-dark field recording. • 0182: Do a rendition of Ethan Hein's laptop orchestra score by yourself.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit android app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto linkblog live-performance netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like