- Birthday party for three-year-old? Slide whistles! http://t.co/8qHTDT2nvV ->
- Got my ticket to see @robert_henke and company Sunday night in San Francisco: https://t.co/79VCS7y1TF ->
- Six years after moving my site to WordPress I realize there is a dashboard plugin to display a list of scheduled posts. ->
- 50+ @djunto acts broke a 1-hour @JaredBrickman track into parts & added their own music. Then he pieced it together: https://t.co/lnkO4JT0Nq ->
- So glad you could make it. MT @ambienteer: My contribution to this week's poignant @djunto project with @nofi: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L. ->
- Thanks to @kenmistove for coding the browser-based tool that sorted out which @djunto musician would do which @JaredBrickman segment. ->
- Name a dog: "To help the puppy distinguish its name from ambient noise, choose something with a sibilant consonant": http://t.co/7T9zDOzHMk ->
- I always play the "Who's the most dangerous person in the café?" game in my head. Today: giddy guy in red CERN T-shirt working on a netbook. ->
- The week's @djunto honoring @nofi is wonderful, but I can't stop thinking it won't be last time we do such a thing: https://t.co/eK4AFScM6I ->
- At @Robert_Henke show in San Francisco. Mistook bartender's martini shaking to be part of opening act's set. ->
- Lebbeus Woods' Alien fan art (1988, at SFMOMA). http://t.co/NABwvPVfQy ->
- Watched new Mad Men. Nice image of Draper’s aural memory of Hawaii surf, not to mention the Koss client, not to mention transition between. ->
- Spent 20 minutes yesterday at The Clock (4:25-45). Will return, and maybe pitch in on this wiki: http://t.co/RnvqnQPZko ->
- Pretty sure the Tuesday noon siren set off the birds in my yard. ->
- That's what I call echo. RT @janeshin: @disquiet We tried to play your recording in the office at the same time. We'll try again next week. ->
- “You are now a developer!" ->
- What’s the obverse of retro-futurism? “this puts the Met at the forefront of early-20th-century art”: http://t.co/amuj5HN9jr ->
- I am loving Android 4.2.2. That said, it’s weird that the “Sound on keypress” option is (only) under Keyboard settings, not Sound settings. ->
- Steve Reich covers Radiohead, Alva Noto tours with Depeche Mode, SFMOMA celebrates Christian Marclay. I like this millennium. ->
- Today in sound class: what sound looks like. ->
- Anyone using iAnnotate PDF on an Android tablet (4.2.2) having trouble with it failing to save highlighted text? Thanks. ->
- And soon enough: Keep Calm and Keep Calm and Stop Using the Keep Calm Meme RT @JaredBrickman: Keep Calm and Stop Using the Keep Calm Meme. ->
- This week's @djunto project will employ the human voice, and poetry, and text-to-speech. (Attn: @alln4tural) ->
- The space where text-to-speech and epic poetry overlap: http://t.co/KO5RCjsTVP https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L. This is @djunto 67. ->
- At water-themed group show at gallery at Sonoma State's library, audio of two different videos (water drops, Orbison's "Crying") overlapped. ->
- For National Poetry Month the @djunto is scoring brief fragments of Homer's Odyssey using text-to-speech: https://t.co/zTjAv4L9Yg. ->
- Morning sounds: bus breaks, bird song, students walking to school, refrigerator, typing, ice squeaking as it thaws in glass of black coffee. ->
- RIP, Don Blackman (b. 1953), played with Parliament, Ayers; widely sampled (Jay Z, Jazzy Jeff, Madlib): http://t.co/CXd7GP0MH6 ->
- RIP, Tim Carr (57), “guy who’s stealing the Beasties from us,” as described by Lyor Cohen in Dan LeRoy’s 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/KGGWUwdYVq ->
- #eavesdrop MT @qDot: Looks like the Hearing Voices Auditory Hallucinations conference tomorrow will be streamed: http://t.co/kcrwe1huZO ->
- Thanks for this! MT @SoundCloud: Compose music for Homer's Odyssey for National Poetry Month, a @djunto project: http://t.co/IGSR7GRJkR ->
- Anechoic-chamber porn from @io9: http://t.co/itHeD18KG5 ->
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice