- More anechoic-chamber porn: How to gauge quiet computers: http://t.co/SpcJveddW0. Via @ioflow ->
- Bonobo album poster uses "DNL" to refer to "download." Is that a common usage? ->
- Bleeker Bob's in NYC closing. Someone cursed Froyo in comment. Thought it an oddly phrased anti-Google line, but a yogurt chain's moving in. ->
- Radio in this café has played Amel Larrieux’s “No One Else” for almost two hours straight. No one seems to have asked them to turn it off. ->
- Was concerned the great battery life on my gen-2 iPad had spoiled me, but the Nexus 7 is holding up remarkably. ->
- RIP, Italian ambient musician Oöphoi (b. Gianluigi Gasparetti, 1958), founder of the magazine Deep Listening: http://t.co/U6LLJBLGqd ->
- 24.9 seconds: The average length of @djunto tracks this week, as we use text-to-speech to frame fragments of Homer’s Odyssey. ->
- That recurring dream in which you're running running running and you swipe up — and the Google Now interface appears. ->
- The cover to @austin_grossman’s new novel, You, is by @the1console. Does this mean we should listen to @jampants’ music while reading it? ->
- Tuesday noon siren, clear as the day, like there's a speaker on my roof. ->
- Thanks for this. RT @brendanaanes: @disquiet I happened to be half a block from one of the speaker poles today and measured it at 100db. ->
- William Basinski is packing his new @SoundCloud account with ambient tracks: https://t.co/gNigKqONtQ. Dozens since the first, 21 days ago. ->
- The fire extinguisher that protects the hub of the 84 miles of cables at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House:… ->
- A detail of the patch bay in the sound room at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House: http://t.co/HnDSFGgGut ->
- Excited to see @DavidLasky, one of the first comics creators I edited, at @MissionComics tomorrow night! https://t.co/sGL5MbmJpX ->
- Been awhile, but an email newsletter goes out to the Disquiet (.com) list shortly. You can subscribe here: http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj ->
- Today in sound class we tour the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco to observe the technology that undergirds acoustic performance. ->
- Apparently at some point Pacific Telephone & Telegraph ran out of covers with insignias and improvised. http://t.co/fDx6a5JJqe ->
- One good thing about the term “electronic dance music”: it freed up the term “electronic music” to be more broadly interpreted. ->
- RIP, Scott Miller (b. 1960), of Game Theory. I have been reading his book Music: What Happened? on @majortominor's recommendation. ->
- Underscore trifecta at San Francisco Kabuki: music by Patton (Place Beyond Pines), Martinez (Company You Keep), Underworld's Smith (Trance) ->
- Company You Keep (directed by Robert Redford) is third movie by Lem Dobbs with Cliff Martinez score, after Soderbergh's The Limey and Kafka. ->
- Listening to “Turn Me On Dead Man” on repeat in honor of the late Scott Miller. (Also playing it “forwards” having reversed it in Audacity.) ->
- RIP, designer Storm Elvin Thorgerson (b. 1944), best known for his Pink Floyd work (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here) ->
- RIP, Gary Biddles, singer with the new wave band Presence (also featured Lol Tolhurst and Michael Dempsey); former Cure roadie ->
- It's likely that @vuzhmusic will like this week's @djunto. Just saying. ->
- To ND or Not to ND, that is the subject of the @djunto noting @vuzhmusic’s deriv.cc netlabel: https://t.co/dyolJ29o1L http://t.co/Ddv7ZcnAbm ->
- Note to @djunto: MT @vuzhmusic: The full album download has mp3s at higher bitrate than the oggs you point to. [See: http://t.co/BI9zWoiwPZ ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice