- My essay on the wall at @root_division in SF, accompanying art by @salvagione, design by @boondesign. http://t.co/VXsT3WeRgc ->
- So many chimes, so many chime puns to avoid. http://t.co/BIVVQFRd9z ->
- Instagram self-doubt. http://t.co/IzgpkLa9Sq ->
- This is when I start photographing screenshots of my tweets and posting the photos to Instagram rather than vice-versa. Cc: @TheLionAltered in reply to TheLionAltered ->
- Generation GPS: raised listening, from day one, to computerized voices give directions. ->
- Eno’ Syndrome: pathology suffered by those who seek treatment at Montefiore Hospital to take in his installation: http://t.co/Fph4wlWf2y ->
- An hour of music by 12 musicians, each piece in 4 parts, each part for a season built from a field recording: https://t.co/lkXGqcBW72 ->
- My 2.7-year-old sang/hummed along with the bathing-suit drying machine ("water extractor") at the Y this morning. ->
- What an earthquake sounds like. From the "share your story" board in quake exhibit at Academy of Science in GG Park…. ->
- Been Monday dad for a year and half, spending each solo with my kid. Starting now I'm Saturday dad. Benefit: more open museums/galleries. ->
- “My echolocation mechanism will get a fix on your reaction.” —The @GreatDismal, on reading from his new novel: http://t.co/l6MjanYFmE ->
- Increasingly fascinated by the acoustics (the sonic UI/UX) of conference calls. That and text-to-speech are my obsessions. ->
- Tomorrow's newsletter includes a contest to win CDs of recent scores by Cliff Martinez & Nick Urata. Subscribe: http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj. ->
- Parenting Protip: Think before teaching your toddler about the concept of human beatboxing. ->
- RIP, rave promoter Paul Shurey (53): http://t.co/qCycF0oBRT ->
- New Disquiet e-newsletter ( http://t.co/bJzuaEu8Lj ) out later today. Includes contest for CDs of scores by Cliff Martinez and Nick Urata. ->
- New @sopercussion album, due out at the end of May, is tremendous: maximalist, minimalist, roaring, subtle. Preview: https://t.co/24xIp6rVUs ->
- A first for Disquiet: an exclusive stream. For the next week, http://t.co/tkA4fVwB80 is the only place to hear @peterkirn's Music for Dance. ->
- Today in sound class: online social networks & digital retail. How audio travels through connections & commerce. Three weeks of class left. ->
- Student presentations: calls-to-prayer, Gibson v. Fender, Daft Punk campaign, “non-Newtonian fluid meets subwoofer” ( http://t.co/lyJniTa4rR ) ->
- Tomorrow's @djunto, the 70th weekly project, involves just 2 tones & 3 beats. And the 71st is shaping up to be a true first for the group. ->
- Belated Tuesday noon siren mention: I was in the shower at the time. Echo echo echo … ->
- TV music so differs from movie music. So much produced so quickly, it’s more patterning than narrative. Which is to say, I often love it. ->
- 3D-Printed Bionic Ear Can Hear Radio Waves: http://t.co/8Cw6FEgObn A little early to award headline of the day, but this seems hard to beat. ->
- Text appearing below Spotify link in Google search: “Spotify coming soon. Thanks for visiting Spotify. To us, music is everything.” Soon? ->
- Thanks! MT @peterkirn: "Dance can't be stored" http://t.co/Lg0fwfJ8zS hear & read, my music for choreography. Loved doing this w/ @disquiet ->
- When people who followed me due to my @peterkirn interview about abstract music for modern dance learn my favorite TV show of 2013 is Arrow. ->
- Trio for outdoor drones on a hot day: airplane, rooftop HVAC, laptop fan. ->
- text-to-speech-to-text: http://t.co/UgnlnkZrjO. Thanks to @tobiasreber for the laugh. #faceoff #amplification ->
- "Facebook is no longer supported in TweetDeck, on 7th May your Facebook account and Facebook columns will be removed." #oy ->
- OK, this week's Disquiet Junto project is, I think, the most minimalist yet, yet nonetheless requires a not insignificant amount of effort. ->
- The 70th @djunto project, making music from 2 tones & 3 beats, has gone live at: http://t.co/Uprfjjv8ON http://t.co/4GjGanKdHp ->
- So glad you dig. RT @GuyBirkin: .@disquiet just got this week's @djunto project – a wicked convolution of simple elements. Great stuff. ->
- RIP, Jeff Hanneman (b. 1964), founding guitarist in Slayer (my wife and my first concert together). ->
- Greg Ginn plays theremin on the new (somewhat Fugazi-ish) Black Flag song, “Down in the Dirt”: http://t.co/BB8WEIydWK #yesnew #freedownload ->
- Every unformatted plain text mass email now looks like it came from @thelistserve. ->
- Not everyday I find myself making a Slayer reference and a Black Flag reference. Turbonegro's Vans deal isn’t enough to make it a trifecta. ->
- 20th anniversary of Mosaic browser a month away. That it isn't the defining anniversary of 2013 is a testament to the innovation's ubiquity. ->
- Fireworks? #94121 ->
- Of that I have no doubt. RT @thelistserve: @disquiet hey we are THE canonical modern day plain text mass email. :) ->
- If you're in/near Cleveland, Janet Cardiff is talking about the Forty-Part Motet @ClevelandArt on Sunday: http://t.co/HWxacXWJJf ->
- Thanks! MT @notrobwalker: Motherboard on "YouTube's Rap Instrumental Subculture" (cc: @disquiet if you haven't seen.) http://t.co/7BwZCtMrI4 ->
- “The internet is positive about doom metal.” http://t.co/sxBFoZzF3K ->
- Ha! RT @KenMcCandless: .@disquiet "The Internet is negative about dubstep." There's hope yet. http://t.co/yOnu59zB3n ->
- Music for 2 tones & 3 beats: https://t.co/oeypqrjHg6. The most minimal Disquiet Junto project yet. Four tracks so far. Just getting started. ->
- The biggest change to Valencia Street's soundscape since I moved to California in 1989 is the constant presence of construction. #415 ->
- Sending a test post via Buffer. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice