- Saw the breezy destruction that is Iron Man 3. More of an ensemble film than the earlier ones. ->
- The instinct to listen to a drone below this delicate music I’m listening to in order to drown out café chatter. ->
- Splendid. RT @SethSHorowitz: @disquiet The right sound is attentional armor. ->
- The color visualizations of novels ( http://t.co/P4Nwvp92I5 ) make a good parallel to @christofmigone's Martian Chronicles sound study. ->
- "It is Megadeth, not Megadeath." Correction in the New York Times for its obituary for Slayer guitarist. ->
- Morning trio for refrigerator drone, wind, and passing automobiles. ->
- Made a set of third Disquiet Junto project, expanded glass harp: http://t.co/3DrpFGhGnj. Almost all the original 35 tracks are still online. ->
- Not sure if @anydo lets existing users hook up new ones with accounts, but if someone could sign me up I'd like a peek. Thanks. ->
- .@daniel_rehn @davidoreilly @pixlpa The Machine has my number. I had been intending today to request, via Twitter, its credit-sequence font. in reply to daniel_rehn ->
- Belatedly made the connection that Yoko Ono had done interpretation for Kobo Abe, who had worked with her first husband, Toshi Ichiyanagi. ->
- So, Iron Man 3 lacks Black Sabbath’s “Iron Man” but it has Fashion Police, which has Kelly Osbourne, not that she’s in the movie. #confused ->
- Mistakenly thought installing the simple approach of todo.txt on my OS X laptop would be simpler. ->
- This restaurant's sound system is like one of those YouTube channels that has retained only the bass line of radio his. ->
- “Listening to radio waves / Underneath the covers.” I may interview Underworld’s Karl Hyde this week. Lemme know if you have questions. ->
- Fun care package in the mail today from @SoundCloud. #sccommunity #stickers #tshirt http://t.co/9wsVOY85OP ->
- I have seriously dug teaching this sound course this semester. ->
- Work is afoot on a Disquiet (.com) forum. Good to have place for @djunto folk to talk shop. Also: book/record/app discussions. ->
- Daniel Asia’s essays are like Jurassic Park classical music fan fiction. I hope to live long enough to discern our era’s myopias. ->
- Fun fact. On @soundcloud, William Basinski follows just three people, one of them being Giorgio Moroder. http://t.co/ulQ8H2CUyr ->
- This coming week's Disquiet Junto project, the 71st, is going to be majorly different from this week's. Can't wait to announce it. ->
- RIP, composer Steve Martland (b. 1959). His Factory/Catalyst stuff was heavy rotation for me. via @robinrimbaud ->
- Dear Musician on Label with SoundCloud Account: If the label posts music by you and you repost it, then it’s part of your feed. Magic! ->
- Ah, put them in a set and spotlight the set. MT @arbeemonkey: @disquiet only thing is that you cannot place them in your spotlight. ->
- I do wonder about that, too. MT @arbeemonkey: @disquiet I find it counter productive to have the same track on both artist and musician's SC ->
- I was up even earlier than usual today. The Tuesday noon siren feels a long way off. ->
- Ah, there it is. The Tuesday noon siren, right on time, echoing through a clear day. Now waiting for Mothra to land. ->
- “We’re standing inside an external hard drive made up of people and paper.” That line and credits glitch made the latest Person of Interest. ->
- “Shoofly don’t bother me / Go bother somebody else.” #honestnurseryrhyme courtesy of my 2.7-year-old. ->
- You reacquaint yourself with project management services, and again realize that for a solo project a few spreadsheets are all you need. ->
- Great interview with Karl Hyde just now, a half hour about fragments, sounds, songs, and urban life. ->
- If you are interested in helping test run (participate in) the in-progress Disquiet forum/board, shoot me a note. Cc @djunto ->
- Twitter really wants me to follow Gaslamp Killer and Joyce Carol Oates. ->
- OK, we've got a dozen-plus people already signed up to test out the Disquiet (.com) discussion forum. Looking forward to this. ->
- Today's sound class: equipment sales (Edison -> Dr. Dre); student presentations on competitive horse-carriage calls, sounds inherent in wine ->
- Hoping it's archived. MT @qDot: Wishing I could be at CCRMA to see Robert Henke speak. At least it's being streamed! http://t.co/gQL2VApiPv ->
- In a "How does Twitter know to recommend people I listened to yesterday on SoundCloud but don't even follow there?" mood. ->
- There are only four references to the 12 Tone Funk Orchestra in Google. ->
- Participation in this week's @djunto would benefit from the possession of a Vimeo account. ->
- We've got over two dozen people signed up to test run the Disquiet discussion/forum section. Looking forward to this. ->
- The company @crashplan provided excellent customer support. ->
- #IDMforensics ->
- This week's @djunto project is special. We make music for trailer for an independent film that is currently filming. Fascinating subject. ->
- Any @djunto people in/near New Haven, Connecticut? I'll be there for my college reunion in a few weeks. ->
- I am so excited about this week's Disquiet Junto project. Launches in a moment. #musicfortrailer ->
- This week @djunto makes music for trailer of @SenseTheWind documentary about blind sailors: http://t.co/XjWrMj8rJr http://t.co/YLiHqD8rmz ->
- Major thanks to @SenseTheWind director Christine Knowlton for letting the @djunto collective try its hand at music for her film’s trailer. ->
- Blind sailors. Subject of a documentary we make music for this weekend. First track: http://t.co/ZFVOFJxjbw Film: http://t.co/CFGn3mqpMm ->
- Noon bells. Traffic. Birds. ->
- What joke made Brian Eno, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, and Michael Stipe laugh this much? http://t.co/S3wgQo4yGc. Via @TheKitchen_NYC gala, ->
- Southland cancelled. The only U.S. drama that had the guts to not use a score. ->
- Is there a popular movie within the Planet of the Apes where apes go to a planet ruled by horses? ->
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice