How better to connect with, to express, the sonic automata that is the cicada than with a piece of equipment that plays by itself? The track “cicada.pch” takes its name from the insect whose collective, hoard-strengthened whirring is an inspiration to white-noise musicians. The sounds of “cicada.pch,” developed by frequent SoundCloud contributor Analogue01, aka Karl Fousek, barely touch on the familiar cicada noise. It is there more as background, a sheer static, than as focal material. In place of that sound is a loop of light rattling, elegant bits of microsonic percussion. According to a brief liner note, the piece was recorded as a “[s]elf-playing patch” on the Nord Modular G1. It is, in other words, a generative work, a system that emits sound, not unlike a small cloud of insectoid life.
5 Most Recent Comments
Tweezerfetish: "Yeah, how the hell has that sea organ track got 2.7 million listens? Is it number one in the..."
Tom Anderson: "Great interview, and thanks for turning me on to a great site. "
all n4tural: "nevermind, audacity on OSX was able to do it. if there is any interest, i could upload — not..."
all n4tural: "hi, the source files are m4a — i’m not finding it easy converting to a useable format...."
MattyJ: "I live in the neighborhood by the siren and can confirm that the birds flew the coop some time ago,..."
Current Forum Discussions
5 Most Recent Posts
• November 7, 2015: At 7:30pm I'll be discussing the Disquiet Junto with Fusion's Alexis Madrigal as part of the Real Future of Sound event in San Francisco at realfuturefair.com.
• November 9, 2015: A short essay I wrote ("Bassel K") will appear in the book The Cost of Freedom, dedicated to Bassel Khartabil, who's been detained in Syria since March 15, 2012. Details at costoffreedom.cc.
• Around November 30, 2015: Jeff Kolar's album Doorbells will be released by the label Panospria. I wrote the liner notes. In the meanwhile you can listen to his previous album, Smoke Detector.
• December 13, 2015: The 19th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: soundcloud.com.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. It's housed at soundcloud.com. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0204: Add a foundational rhythm to an ambient foreground • 0203: Add something to a rhythm track titled "It." • 0202: Create an audiobook chapter from the new essay collection The Cost of Freedom. • 0201: Encapsulate an album for efficient yet meaningful consumption. • 0200: Create a score to a Richard Kadrey short story — using his own voice as source audio.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance sketches of sound software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
what sound looks like