- Didn't tweet college reunion since, with very few exceptions, anyone I would want to read the tweet was within a few feet for two-plus days. ->
- 33 musicians (so far) interpret a map of the San Andreas Fault as if it were a graphic score: http://t.co/Xvl7KKbIyL ->
- The Long Island Railroad's symbol for "listen”: http://t.co/7vtnPJbkTj ->
- I thought that profille looked familiar. MT @KenMcCandless: 1/3 of Daft Punk member waving. MT @disquiet LIRR symbol http://t.co/wKmkCldvW6 ->
- Listening activity in playground, rusted edition. http://t.co/Azx5oTlmmw ->
- Tinkertoy instructions from my childhood. http://t.co/KAyKLFAeIM ->
- Evening sounds (at parents’ home): dishwasher drone, refrigerator drone, low level electric whine; no cars (suburb), no planes (insulation). ->
- Wind chimes, rainy day, house of childhood friend. http://t.co/aUF7WKhJw1 ->
- Jackson Heights rhythm moire: intersection of underpass, elevated train, through traffic, and LIRR. ->
- The AirTrain to JFK sounds more future-modern than other regional rails, no clanking, just whir and drone. ->
- The new emotion when one confirms one's cellphone's suggestion to add the unusual spelling of a friend's newborn to the phone's dictionary. ->
- JFK -> SFO http://t.co/BZaUV4NloH ->
- The '80s music playing in the JetBlue terminal at JFK seems more suited to time travel than to air travel. ->
- Feels like Explosion in Toontown was the theme of Bay Area raves in the 1990s. ->
- Blog spam isn’t the problem with search. The problem is every artist/musician of limited note shares a name with a sports figure of note. ->
- Super cool. At HeroesCon on June 8 at 3pm, as part of a music’n’comics panel, Craig Fischer is presenting on my work: http://t.co/8EDuAogKw4 ->
- That's what I'm talking about. RT @Steve_Hamann: @disquiet It's true. I believe I share a name with water polo olympian. ->
- I am not surprised. RT @WonderlandK: @disquiet Ha! Yes. It is the bane of my new music copyediting/fact checking career. ->
- That's what I'm talking about. RT @mrgavinedwards: @disquiet U Conn basketball center Gavin Edwards drank my Google juice. ->
- We have a winner. (Or, perhaps, loser.) RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet My poor brother shares a name with a famous skater AND a porn actor. ->
- Cybercrime alibi central. MT @subgirl: share mine w/a race car driver, a camera bag company & a large national paint store chain. Screwed. ->
- Some morning music: low-key minimal techno by ArnoDee/Castenada, fractured beats and broken atmospheres: http://t.co/fBiNMpO1Fo ->
- The Toronto/mayor/crack thing is another reason I wish the Canadian TV series Intelligence, featuring Ian Tracey, was still on the air. ->
- Reading Zoo City by @LaurenBeukes on the bus, wondering what everyone's familiars would be. ->
- This week in @djunto we'll use the response to a music performance (applause) as the source material for music-making. ->
- Information flows through this. http://t.co/zkwheMTNml ->
- 74th weekly @djunto project starts. Turn applause into music: http://t.co/pMKMv5bDQk https://t.co/oxoiMXzhip Due June 3 just shy of midnight ->
- For folks doing 74th @djunto & having trouble accessing the source applause audio, this lo-fi version may suffice: https://t.co/sSgovxoCLE ->
- Thanks, @notrobwalker, for the @YahooNews piece mentioning the @bldgblog/@djunto San Andreas Fault music project: http://t.co/L0z8N2gSBr ->
- Articles posted online to be read for free about how it is stupid (among less polite terms) to post things online for free. ->
- Can someone who's logged into freesound (.org) please download and share with me this track? http://t.co/ISu1a54JO1 Thanks. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
needles: "Noll’s compositions and performances under all of his names are other-level. "
Carolyn Jackson: "It’s not your imagination. The outfit was Laurie Spiegel inspired! "
Neil: "Great, interesting piece. Marc, have you thought about making the concept of ‘Bracket Sound’ a..."
Tom: "This is heavenly "
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0268 / Walking Music / Take a stroll and describe it in sound, paying tribute to the late manga great Jiro Taniguchi. • 0267 / The Metronomic Society / Create a theme song for a fictional organization. • 0266 / Vocal Cuts / Use segments of your own held vowel to make music. • 0265 / Kitchen Music / Record a piece of music that uses items from just one drawer. • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice