- Nice reflection on the two recent Oulipo-themed Junto projects by a participant: http://t.co/fBle5dAY2d ->
- Houston, we have a problem: on my phone/tablet, magazines hog more drive space than do video games. ->
- Very much on my mind. MT @ioflow: idea for @djunto #0101: something in or inspired by binary. ->
- Time-Life Books #computers #digitalnostalgia http://t.co/LpS4JVf8Q1 ->
- Pretty nifty getting Crystal Method to score Almost Human. ->
- Audio of Boston Symphony Orchestra on Nov 22, 1963, as conductor Erich Leinsdorf announces JFK assassination: http://t.co/AewiArRvoh ->
- Via Almost Human: Segway & Blade Runner exist in the future; phones are longer; the Karl Urban model upgrades earlier Robert Forster model. ->
- Score-oriented Netflix viewers will want to know that The American and Only God Forgives are both streaming now. ->
- So, does everyone with an iTunes account get that One Direction pre-order email? Why in this day and age spam the world? ->
- I've been on Android since the G1. I dig it. But this whole "the new OS is here but isn't here" thing has gotta get sorted. #kitkat #4point4 ->
- The Powerball ads with a red ball among many white balls? Maybe it's the maudlin "California Dreamin'" but I always think: cancer cell. ->
- Finally really blocking out a little time to learn Pd. ->
- Assumed something might be buggy, maybe even crash regularly, in OS X Mavericks. Never thought it'd be, of all things, Preview. ->
- Thought Ealy's Almost Human character is a DRM (not DRN) and the whole thing a metaphor for intersection of code and law. Well, not really. ->
- Lengthy conversation with our 3-year-old, who wants to sing "The Antelope Song." Eventually it becomes clear this is "Home on the Range." ->
- Excited about the new Arnold Lobel exhibit at @Jewseum. I remain convinced that Frog is John Cage and Toad is Morton Feldman. ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Hopeful for a Crystal Method album of its Almost Human cues, no track longer than 15 seconds. ->
- selvie: 2014 word of the year, taking picture of your jeans ->
- celvie: 2015 word of the year, taking picture of your DNA ->
- cellvie: 2016 word of the year, taking picture of your tiny apartment ->
- sylvie: 2017 word of the year, taking picture of your favorite tree ->
- salivie: 2018 word of the year, taking picture of your tongue ->
- tsilfie: 2019 word of the year, taking picture of your favorite esoteric Star Wars wikipedia page ->
- Hadn't turned my iPad on in awhile. There are 75 app updates. ->
- Today in sound class, one of my favorite lectures: music and social networks; making stuff together separately; "ambient participation." ->
- The brief Boing Boing link/article about Madrigal's solid piece on Eggers' novel has more comments than the original post. Fascinating. ->
- (San Francisco side note.) Whoever thought up the Muni 5L, I'd like to buy you a beer. ->
- I love playing Kanye West and King Crimson in klass. ->
- This week's Disquiet Junto project is the 99th weekly. It will be about video games. ->
- Great blog entry by @CityLightsBooks on the Oulipo events of a week or so back, including the Junto workshop: http://t.co/VVVivLwQV3 ->
- Music from airports: http://t.co/S4BYjmwrZ2. A sonic portrait by Monolake. ->
- I'll be listening to this new Damu the Fudgemunk instrumental hip-hop set on @REDEFrecords all day: http://t.co/Z6sv3yhgPZ ->
- Is "Mechanical Turk" problematic the way "welsh" and "gypped" are? Or does it get a pass because it's about an instance not an ethnicity? ->
- Today will mark 99 weekly Disquiet Junto projects in a row. Amazing. Thanks to all the participants and listeners! http://t.co/NaHsmprKac ->
- "Guy manning the sound board for a performance": http://t.co/72UHoChrxR. Guttenfelder's North Korea Instagram photos: http://t.co/blqGfYG8MY ->
- Taking time off Damu the Fudgemunk for 12 hip-hop instrumentals by L'Orange from underneath his album with Stik Figa: http://t.co/lGWHkXabeF ->
- Chang's Beatles mix has 41k listens. His account has 138 followers. Short tail of NYT embed: https://t.co/GOSSXbcObz http://t.co/iLNYZ7xagl ->
- I need an app recommendation: an iOS 6 app that can do TTS (text to speech) from ePub. (On Android I use the great FBReader.) #prettyplease ->
- From interview I did in 1998. Me: "This is Marc Weidenbaum and I'm with http://t.co/pPaBYPrpOg." Philip Glass: "What is that?" ->
- Cassette from 1998. Great pair of interviews (Philip Glass, David Holmes) within two weeks, both on working in film: http://t.co/X4xCwhqVco ->
- Needed to bust this out today when I realized I wouldn't be at the office and needed to review archival interviews. http://t.co/wTfJRIjYkL ->
- News alert: the 99th Disquiet Junto will involve, like, notes and stuff. Yeah, notes. ->
- Project 99 in @djunto ( http://t.co/D44FGiOJ5I ) explores Xbox One startup sound. Informed by a @kirkhamilton post: http://t.co/lgCUPlZyu0. ->
- Looking forward to premiere of final season of Nikita. A favorite sound moment from last year: http://t.co/KjHfrPvAGY ->
- At 41,000 streams of his White Album layers, Rutherford Chang had just 138 SoundCloud followers. With nearly 69,000, he's up merely 36 more. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice