- Morning sounds: ice cracking in my coffee, refrigerator on stun, trash collectors passing in street. ->
- It was quite nice to be largely off social media for a couple weeks, but it's good to be back. ->
- First day of new year back at my desk. Drinking my iced coffee. Listening to music made of sound of ice in a glass: https://t.co/rhNutPVub8 ->
- Not sure which I enjoyed more: the "frak" in the premiere of Helix or the "ka-ching" elevator cue at start of most recent The Good Wife. ->
- Yes, this coming Thursday's new Disquiet Junto project will be about the weather. ->
- Evening sounds: laptop typing, passing automobiles (some evidently ignoring a well-lit stop sign), general electric hum. ->
- And there's that time a Dubai art gallery asked me to recommend 10 works of sound art — and then hung it on the wall: http://t.co/CaMXq5hjKp ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Yo, people at CES this week, did any of you spy any new Nexus 7 (2013 model) keyboard cases? ->
- The choreography-themed Disquiet Junto project is getting closer. It relates, tangentially, to my Aphex Twin book. Details in near future. ->
- iPad busker: http://t.co/zBpNJnGIQv #instagram #music #urbanstudies #415 ->
- Stoked. I'll be teaching my course on sound in the media landscape again this semester at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. ->
- Regarding previous post, people get awful confused on the bus if the automated ticketing machine doesn't beep when swiped. ->
- In San Francisco before Jan 31? Get to Highlight Gallery (Kearny St) for Chris Fraser show. Enter with 1 eye closed: http://t.co/uYoZozt1cX ->
- RIP, Amiri Baraka (b. 1934). His book Blues People is pretty essential reading. ->
- You know the day you go to the library for some quiet to get some work done is the day they are installing new bookshelves with hand drills. ->
- Treat the weather chart as a graphically notated score: http://t.co/Rkg9R2iwVI. Cc @djunto ->
5 Most Recent Comments
jdc: "Robert Fripp Live at The Kitchen was released on three vinyl LPs. I know because I bought it used in NJ in..."
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0276 / 808 Blockchain Beats / Make 808-style beats based on the blockchain. • 0275 / Revisit Something / Make a track all over again. • 0274 / Broken Sound / Record a piece of music in the genre called "broken sound." • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice