- Imagining how loud a drone-supported self-adjusting floating standing desk would be. ->
- Skype UI note: "The largest bar in the volume icon is an exclamation mark." http://t.co/Hl32qyRra9 (via @littlebigdetail) ->
- Belated RIP, Leland Smith (88), computer-music pioneer: http://t.co/5NQMA0ANLE. (Via @G3NtR0pH08ik + @tedgioia) ->
- There's only one song by Souled American on Rdio. ->
- LPs that melted your brain upon release and, decades later, you play on repeat while cooking all Sunday long: Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. ->
- The revolution will become a TV mini-series. RT @vuzhmusic: @disquiet the most difficult to assimilate becomes the most comfortable ->
- And my Aphex Twin book for 33 1/3 (on the album Selected Ambient Works Volume II) comes out one month from today. ->
- Thanks, @citylightsbooks, for hosting the March 20 reading/concert in San Francisco for my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/rcc4SRjBAW ->
- 2,991 tracks in Disquiet Junto in past 2 years and 2 weeks. Wonder if we'll hit 3K when current project ends tonite: https://t.co/RG5yL7CI2z ->
- I'm interviewing Prefuse 73 in half an hour. If you have questions for him, lemme know. ->
- Prefuse 73 says it refers to the sound of fusion jazz prior to 1973 (starting around 1968). RT @nynexrepublic: @disquiet why that number? ->
- Judging by my Twitter page, staff got back from lunch and posted a redesign of the website, which it is now slowly tweaking in real time. ->
- Helix: You come for the science fiction; you stay for the Arctic research-station room tones. ->
- Still likes to think that the new version of WordPress is named after the Donald Westlake / Richard Stark character. ->
- On Almost Human, it seems like the suspects are always listening to ambient music and the cops are always listening to EDM in their cars. ->
- MOMA and SFMOMA are expanding at the same time and they'll join somewhere in the midwest at a golden spike made by Jeff Koons. ->
- RIP, jazz guitarist Ronny Jordan (51): http://t.co/OnYlRX3tNo. Here's one of his team-ups with DJ Krush: http://t.co/LqYiO3jcBu ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Of course Bruce Springsteen's music was in a Good Wife episode this past weekend about an ethically challenged (albeit Illinois) governor. ->
- Hopeful that @SoundCloud technical issues are solved by tomorrow, but pondering stopgap @djunto options (e.g., Disquiet-post comment links). ->
- I love my Nexus 7 but Google must get the accessories gears churning. There's nothing for the N7 close to Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio. ->
- If you participate in the Disquiet Junto, try the SoundCloud URL ( http://t.co/3Vl0MYqdZd ) and lemme know if it's coming up for you. Thanks. ->
- If SoundCloud's tech issues continue tomorrow we may experiment with posting the next project as embeds/links in comments on a Disquiet post ->
- Thanks for the quick replies folks. On my Mac the SoundCloud URL works OK on Safari, just not my default browser (Chrome). #patience ->
- "This webpage has a redirect loop." Been getting major conflicts between Google accounts lately. ->
- "It is an auditory 3-D sculpture." That description of pop-music recording isn't from Brian Eno. It's Sandra Boynton: http://t.co/TPqOQR4ZGc ->
- Amazon's market-bots are quite insistent that I purchase a copy of my own 33 1/3 book. ->
- Even more depressing than the Professor dying is the radio broadcasters feeling the need to explain what Gilligan's Island was. ->
- Aeolian metrics. That's the theme of this week's @djunto project. ->
- Tomorrow is January 17, the 308th birthday of Benjamin Franklin, whose Junto club, formed when he was 21, lent its name to the @djunto. ->
- I vote they make 10 spinoffs of Arrow and rename the network the DCW. ->
- Happy birthday, Benjamin Franklin. You weren't a model father, but I can't think of a founding father more relevant or inspiring today. ->
- Hopeful. I set up that four-digit project numbering for a reason. RT @jonautry: @disquiet #junto4evr in reply to jonautry ->
- Mail.app (OS X) now in doghouse. Was so good until Mavericks. Giving MailMate a try. ->
- Super cool. Time Out Dubai (@TimeOutDubai) on that sound art exhibit I participated in: http://t.co/5Ve5gNdtun ->
- Whoa, that massive Amon Tobin box set sold out. Glad I got a copy. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice