- RIP, Japanese voice actor Seizō Katō (b. 1927), Megatron and Galvatron in Transformers: http://t.co/Tz3TNOi1TW ->
- Apparently two days in a row I wrote on Disquiet about artists from Virginia. Maybe tomorrow I'll make it a trifecta. ->
- Helix has had an impact. Soft r&b tunes from the 1970s playing in public places now freak me out a little. ->
- Yahoo! The @djunto weekly music project series is now well over 3,000 extant tracks and 420 contributors: http://t.co/Cjn2aOvZib ->
- Man, it's hard these days to type "Yahoo!" and have people not think you're writing about, you know, Yahoo! ->
- Thought my Nexus 7's screen paled next to my iPad (retina) but it was just that the iPad's wallpaper was more bright/colorful. #stupidme ->
- #aeolian #metrics. The week's @djunto was inspired by "White Blur 1" off subject of my new book, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol II. ->
- Just did my first interview with a podcast for my 33 1/3 Aphex Twin book. That was fun. Good questions. More on it as its broadcast date ne… ->
- Man, that @Synthtopia sure has a sizable readership. Enormous spike for something I wrote last week. Thanks! ->
- Correlation between percentage of apps downloaded but never used and percentage of hoodies the hoods of which have never been worn. ->
- "Musical notation presented unusual challenges to the new craft of printing in the 15th century." Free UCPress book: http://t.co/gl1bC2HXf9 ->
- 25 days until my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book (SAW2) is officially released. The album has 25 tracks (well, one edition does). Time for countdown. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #25 ("Matchsticks") http://t.co/bM55wjZeTB ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #24 ("White Blur 2") http://t.co/BZSa963Pu2 ->
- This week's @djunto project: @freebassel. It goes live this Thursday. #creativecommons #openweb #freebassel ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- The Outdoor Public Warning System siren at the corner of 21st Ave and Geary in San Francisco: http://t.co/wvsX98xwQx #urbanstudies #sound ->
- Thumbs up to Beats Music for factoring in music you "hate" when sorting out your preferences. ->
- Weird, @beatsmusic lists Aphex Twin SAW2 as 35 tracks and yet only lists 20 of them. Actual number: between 23 and 25, depending on version. ->
- This is great: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross have teamed up for a third time (for Gone Girl) with David Fincher: http://t.co/axQ1BXuYWs ->
- I messed that last tweet up. It's @mariplasma (aka Marielle Jakobsons) not @darwinsbitch who'll perform with @subnaughtsounds + @jared_smyth in reply to subnaughtsounds ->
- Excited to report: @mariplasma @jared_smyth @subnaughtsounds to perform Aphex Twin–inspired music at my March 20 @citylightsbooks reading ->
- The app Yellofier (by Boris Blank of Yello) has been ported to Android from iOS: http://t.co/oxC9KRP5G9 ->
- The URL "TiananmenSunrise dot com" is available. Just saying. ->
- German word for "Disappointed the Tiananmen sunrise image was misreported because felt like Code 46 is real, yet happy Code 46 isn't real." ->
- New semester of my sound-in-the-media-landscape course at the Academy of Art begins a week from today. Very excited. ->
- Talk of Twitter being "ephemeral" complicated for me because what I tweet is auto-compiled weekly on my website. It's like a public journal. ->
- Are we at Peak Faraday Cage? There's one in Person of Interest, and in Intelligence. Any others out there in TV land? ->
- First thing I did in MacPaint in 1984 was to recreate the inside cover of Starless and Bible Black. Happy 30th birthday, Mac. ->
- Proof of life. MT @BrewCrewJess: @disquiet's book on Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works Volume II' just arrived! http://t.co/8VB0C43UtZ ->
- Mention today on the Creative Commons official blog about next @dunto project: http://t.co/cPvrQUigYG #freebassel ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #23 (“Tassels”) http://t.co/NfY4CqYRyg (w/ proof-of-book-life) ->
- Loving the grid version of the Aphex Twin album cover that @boondesign did for my daily, 25-track SAW2 countdown: http://t.co/KbKUw12RuH ->
- Thanks to @hecanjog for tweeting a photo of where in my 33 1/3 book I thank the @djunto: http://t.co/sibZ4wQdyA. Plus a cat. in reply to hecanjog ->
- RIP: Douglas Davis, Critic and Internet Artist, Dies at 80: http://t.co/Y2IyqTpt0C ->
- Talking about glitch, "in between" parts of songs, and learning from Fennesz: Prefuse 73 interview I did last week: http://t.co/0FmFEGwN0Q. ->
- This is a picture I've looked forward to taking for a long time: http://t.co/WbV6wJyn9I ->
- My 3-year-old likes my Aphex Twin book's cover but wonders why there are no pictures. I explained the LP has pictures, so we looked at that. ->
- I don't know if @VibeMagazine and @EW are paying for these spam ad PR emails pushing their news links, but they're ridiculous. ->
- RIP, Italian film music composer Riz Ortolani (87): http://t.co/kBFvuySOOZ via @geetadayal #mondocane ->
- For this week's @djunto project, we make an ancient soundscape + raise awareness of an imprisoned coder: http://t.co/13jdupeNd9 #freebassel ->
- On a street corner equal distance from a pho place and a pozole place. Weighed the options. Went with pozole. ->
- Looks like that free stream of Arcade Fire's score to Her is offline. Maybe it wasn't official? ->
- Supa cool. Apparently the Kindle edition of my 33 1/3 book on Aphex Twin's SAW2 is available for preorder http://t.co/lUoldz5rlc. #justsayin ->
- A flurry of spambot followers late Friday afternoon is Twitter's equivalent of happy hour. ->
- This library makes my boyhood science fiction dreams come true. The HVAC drone is so starship. ->
- Four tracks so far in our #freebassel @djunto project to create soundscapes for the ancient city of Palmyra: https://t.co/nCC6KscR3t ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #21 (“Lichen”) http://t.co/Ymah1u3qzJ ->
- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown ("Lichen," #21) includes five versions: original, live, remixed, slowed, reversed: http://t.co/Ymah1u3qzJ ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
Chris: "Love this post, Marc. A great slice of this year’s news … "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice