- RT @dpnem: So Hans Zimmer wants you. But what if your heart already belongs to James Newton Howard. ->
- Classical Music Is Zombies because BBC notes its hostility to women ( http://t.co/0uuhaZfP8R) + Slate says it's dead (http://t.co/rI8hIU1WS4 ) ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #20 (“Hexagon”) http://t.co/RhlaNho9Vq (w/ @vuzhmusic cameo) ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Hexagon," #20) includes 5 versions: original, slowed down, with live drums, reversed: http://t.co/jxFKG9gh6I ->
- These news articles in which the accompanying photos are selfies of the victim or suspect. ->
- So, they set their mixes of other people's music free for download, and yet not their own music. ->
- "Shane Carruth hasn’t shared any public sounds. Follow Shane Carruth for updates of their new sounds." ->
- According to the HBO app, all 4 Lethal Weapon movies are "action," and all all but the second are "comedy." ->
- RIP, jazz saxophonist Arthur Doyle (69): http://t.co/DAweOKFbYc. Yes, the one namechecked by Sonic Youth on Sonic Nurse. ->
- RT @Le_Berger: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS, but more for your participation really. Listen & read the guidelines…. http://t.co/CCSsVFsm3v ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #19 (“Stone in Focus”) http://t.co/m1GDQuXkh1 ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Stone in Focus," #19) includes 4 versions: original, cover, slowed down, reversed: http://t.co/QOgDigoNIw ->
- RT @333books: Marc Weidenbaum awaits the Feb 13 release of his Aphex Twin SAW2 book with a daily track-by-track analysis: http://t.co/02wo3… ->
- "Anytime you feel the pain." The conference call's hold music is the Beatles' "Hey Jude." ->
- "Mrs. Patmore is not what you'd call a futurist." ->
- Something depressing—and telling—about my Wired magazine subscription triggering an email suggestion that I subscribe to a golf magazine. ->
- low-flying jet + washing machine + wind chimes + school marching band's drum practice + car alarm … #whatdoyouhearnow? ->
- A clarification about my Aphex Twin SAW2 track-by-track descriptive countdown: it's the opposite of my 33 1/3 book, which is themed essays. ->
- 33 tracks, with 6 or so hours to go, in #freebasel project honoring imprisoned Creative Commons software advocate: https://t.co/nCC6KscR3t ->
- The URL inanimategif dot com is not taken. Just saying. ->
- After listening to Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works V.II daily for year-plus, I took a few months off. Nice to revisit for the track posts. ->
- Later today a SAW2 track post on #18 ("Windowsill"), perhaps the most X Files–y on an album released less than a year after X Files debuted. ->
- Super cool. I'll include in tonight's daily SAW2 track countdown. RT @Schemawound: @disquiet Book Acquired. Congrats http://t.co/ijN0jEN8p6 in reply to Schemawound ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II reverse-order daily track countdown: #18 (“Windowsill”) http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ @333books ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Windowsill," #18), 2 versions: original, reversed: http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ + @schemawound proof-of-book shot ->
- RIP, Pete Seeger (b. 1919). My three-year-old has had "If I Had a Hammer" on heavy rotation for months. ->
- One more flower is gone. ->
- Today's Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol. II track, working backward daily toward February 13, will be "Z Twig," the album's shortest. ->
- Via LinkedIn email: "Congratulate [Person X] on the new job. [Person X] is now Composer/Performer/Bandleader at various." ->
- New semester of my course on role of sound in the media landscape begins in 24 hours. Think I'll do more class-by-class blogging this time. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (for my @333books book) reverse-order daily track countdown: #17 (“Z Twig”) http://t.co/rX7i0wLlja ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Hoping no one joins this conference call until after the Beatles "I Will" hold music ends. ->
- An IFTTT so when I add a word to my Swype keyboard dictionary in Android the word is then posted to my Twitter account. ->
- Yowza. "48 Fela Kuti albums have been uploaded to Bandcamp": http://t.co/Ky676DzCRB (via http://t.co/hpasyIDklH) ->
- "Afrobeat made me realize how great a cowbell player can be." That's the wise @durkkooistra on Fela (over at http://t.co/6XQHhbKxyA). ->
- Madlib releases more music than most people listen to. People who listen to Madlib listen to more than Madlib. What does Madlib listen to? ->
- First sound class of the semester: an introduction to listening, everyday soundscapes, clairaudience, sonification. ->
- Guy waking around with absolutely massive three-ring binder labeled Foundations of Commerce and Management. ->
- Good day in sound class. Great students, mix of BA and MFA. Talked about Fringe credits + Kit Kat commercials. Did two listening exercises. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #16 (“Grey Stripe”) http://t.co/PmltbOGNjZ ->
- Today's Aphex SAW2 countdown ("Grey Strip," #16), 2 versions: original, reversed: http://t.co/QlKMMMaN2G ->
- Proud of past week's @djunto: 36 ancient-city soundscapes draw attention to plight of jailed coder Bassel Khartabil: http://t.co/ikhpwYIzkr ->
- The most telling thing about that "Academia Explained: Muppets" thing that's circulating is it leaves out adjuncts. ->
- RT @compactrobot: why is there no Aphex Twin Unicode charatcer? ->
- Working on trimming chapters of my Aphex Twin SAW2 book for reading events. Suddenly the idea of the "radio" edit makes sense. ->
- Guy who wrote new 33 1/3 book on Dilla's Donuts (no offense to rest of my cohort, but that's the one I'm most excited about) is @333donuts. ->
- For this week's @djunto project, we'll insert musical objects into an urban soundscape. ->
- This week's @djunto inspired by the visual art of @wcraghead. ->
- This week's Disquiet Junto project involves inserting musical objects into an urban soundscape: http://t.co/z6Q2ki6xoy ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #15 (“Shiny Metal Rods”) http://t.co/ShlQSKSdNz. ->
- 33 1/3 announced a new call for books. Several records once contracted are now open: London Calling, Enter the Wu (36 Chambers), Biophilia. ->
- Instructions for new round of 33 1/3 pitches here: http://t.co/IdEl9cgQNm. This is the series my Aphex Twin SAW 2 book is in. ->
- The day is young but I'm pretty sure nothing for me is gonna beat watching someone purchase a single donut with a credit card. ->
- My memory of watching Space: 1999 upon its release was that its closest competitor was reruns of Star Trek. ->
- Oh, cool. Batman Vs. Superman is really a sequel to The Social Network, not to Man of Steel. ->
- Aside from watching Helix, the day is over. So, yes, nothing today beat witnessing someone purchase a single donut with a credit card. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #14 (“Parallel Stripes”) http://t.co/W4pi1KfAgJ ->
- 3 consecutive tracks (“Blue Calx,” melody; “Parallel Stripes,” ambience; “Shiny Metal Rods,” minimalist beats) tell the SAW2 album's story. ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice