- .@RoughTradeNYC Oh, and I just recalled: On page 47 of the SAW2 book there's a bit about the Sire Records corporate account at @RoughTrade. ->
- My buddy Bob Levine will be on WQXR Opera Quiz today during 1st Madama Butterfly intermission, 2pm EST. ->
- RIP, Anna Gordy Gaye (b. 1921), cofounder of Anna Records, songwriter, sister of Berry Gordy, wife of Marvin Gaye: http://t.co/2owSzoEoFh ->
- In my Aphex Twin countdown, I'm posting people's photos of copies of my @333books. Yesterday: @jpbartee @emarg0ed http://t.co/W4pi1KfAgJ ->
- Today will be day 13 of my 25-day Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Volume II countdown. Halfway through means … "Blue Calx"! ->
- Nothing as personal as PR email addressed to "Marc2" with faux personalized opening and an emoticon. ->
- I look forward to a movie as interesting as the serial drama of casting announcements. ->
- Marveling at the light rain like a character in a Paolo Bacigalupi book. ->
- There's a @goodreads entry for my Aphex Twin @333books book should you, you know, wanna add it to your reading list: http://t.co/mo5DxViDU1 ->
- I'm including folks' Twitter/Instagram shots of my @333books Aphex Twin SAW2 book in my daily countdowns, so lemme know if you post one. ->
- Y'day: Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #13 (“Blue Calx”) http://t.co/diJcsvvilb ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #12 (“White Blur 1”) http://t.co/rWKERwTIkd ->
- Been posting weekly looks back 15, 10, and 5 years to what I've written. Here's a 1999 interview with Steve Reich: http://t.co/YGuwJYpOnO. ->
- PSH film I most look forward to is Most Wanted Man, directed by Anton Corbijn, music by Herbert Grönemeyer (of Corbijn's The American). #RIP ->
- Much of U2's new song, the Danger Mouse–produced "Invisible," sounds more like a Brian Eno project than does some of their Eno stuff. ->
- Next time I ride Caltrain I need to remember to have Chris Bacon's Source Code score on my iPod. ->
- Someone on Caltrain (north, arriving in San Carlos at 5:28pm) has named their mobile modem "Larry Ellison's iPhone." ->
- Because you never hear a train coming. #caltrain #soundstudies #signage http://t.co/0sDQJFRWaV ->
- This photo makes me especially happy: http://t.co/4W8f8YQtyr. Thanks, @npseaver. ->
- RT @wcraghead: great piece from @disquiet in last week's Junto project based on my seed toss drawings and field recordings: http://t.co/W1a… ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- Thing I learned today: the extended subsidiary clause is a significant challenge to the comprehensible spoken narrative. ->
- RT @westyreflector: Riding the F-train with Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II by @disquiet http://t.co/V5sIxqE9Ua ->
- Tuesday noon siren rang out while we were filming a brief (er, well, maybe 20-minute) video for the 33 1/3 Aphex Twin book. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #10 (“Tree”) http://t.co/qhWHkz1aYs ->
- Thanks to @npseaver + @westyreflector for their photos of my Selected Ambient Works V2 book: http://t.co/qhWHkz1aYs. ->
- Image reportedly of Brian Eno + projected talk notes upon realizing he's running late: http://t.co/7qjxMo09nD. Info: http://t.co/aowPK0RJZY. ->
- Today in sound class, a brief history of listening: celebrity death, oral culture, memory, synesthesia, sonification. ->
- Reading my students' first sound journal entries. Some exemplary work in there, and just imagine where they'll be in 15 weeks. ->
- ScopeCreap dot com is not yet registered. #justsayin ->
- The sound of elevator floor bells one or two floors down. ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #9 (“Weathered Stone”) http://t.co/tZkosphPY4 ->
- Today's Selected Ambient Works V2 proof-of-book-life photo apparently features food from Burma Superstar http://t.co/tZkosphPY4 ->
- Not one student in my course has seen The Conversation before. I'm looking forward to next week. ->
- Yes, tomorrow's @djunto project will be about that old cut up, William S. Burroughs. ->
- RIP, William "Bunny Rugs" Clarke (b. 1948). As I recall, "1865 (96° in the Shade)" was one of the first reggae songs I ever heard. ->
- If there were an Emmy for best use of photos in a recap it would go to Esther Inglis-Arkell of @io9 for this: http://t.co/nj4Ro6VOpA #arrow ->
- We skipped the Gordon Hempton documentary this semester. Thinking again about swapping in Diva and swapping out Playtime. ->
- radio unshack RT @otolythe: unshackleton RT @everyword: unshackled in reply to otolythe ->
- Sound of library study room's electricity turning off because my typing style isn't histrionic enough to confirm a human is in the room. ->
- Sound of the person in adjacent library study room aggressively writing on a blackboard. ->
- Palatino was ubiquitous. Now it isn't. The word isn't even in my phone's autocorrect. What happened to Palatino? ->
- Irony of prepping for literary cut-up chaos: the anal-retentive orderliness of the step-by-step cut-up-process instructions. #wsb100 ->
- Making cut-up music to celebrate William S. Burroughs' 100th birthday: http://t.co/wx5cREWVmj. Do join in. ->
- 3 3 3 3 14 10 5 7 3 3 3 3 8 18 11 4 3 3 3 3 6 17 12 9 15 15 15 15 3 3 3 3 13 2 16 1 3 3 3 3 ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #8 (“Blur”) http://t.co/BKCTEKUsLA ->
- I'm always late with holiday cards, but my Aphex Twin 33 1/3 book, due out the day before Valentine's Day, is certainly a love letter. ->
- Reading at Powell's in Portland for my Aphex Twin book has been set for May. Details to follow. ->
- I hope nothing important happens before the Sochi Olympics are over, because I've turned off my New York Times news alerts. ->
- RT @dpnem: Listening to Aphex Twin. Thanks Obama. No, it’s really @disquiet’s fault. ->
- Today lots of two-year-old San Franciscans get to learn about this "rain" stuff their parents have been talking about for the past year. ->
- When I'm done with this project I am going for a walk even if it requires scuba gear. ->
- By the way, I have a 3.5-year-old, not a 2-year-old, who knows about rain and can sense the existence of puddles around corners. #mutie ->
- Harps, hushed voices, electronix. All I've listened to all day is the Brumes feed: https://t.co/VKzS157wBI. When it ends I start all over. ->
- Irony of songs of cutup new articles is if you don't know the language you don't get the chaos. Still, a good start: https://t.co/RG5yL7CI2z ->
- I want to watch the Redshirts TV show. But I really just wanna read a book about the authority figures we only get glimpses of. ->
- "It's around the second hour of listening that I come to recognize …" ->
- My visual diet: Lotsa slow-reveal images of Aphex SAW2 cover (courtesy of @boondesign) + William S. Burroughs. http://t.co/6nqXaaQwix ->
- Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works Vol II (@333books) reverse-order daily track countdown: #7 (“Curtains”) http://t.co/clyzXLJKn7 ->
- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 entry includes original track ("Curtains"), reversed, and appearance in a Chris Morris skit: http://t.co/clyzXLJKn7 ->
5 Most Recent Comments
Michael Fitzgerald: "Hi Marc, really enjoyed the first Disquietude podcast, and looking forward to the next one...."
Jimmy Kipple Sound: "thanks for this Marc! for the record, & in the spirit of full spectrum domination and..."
Brenda: "This 1970 Synthesizer sounds better to me as compared to all the latest Synthesizers. "
Murray Altheim: "Sorry, I somehow missed the sentence “The finished audio should combine the original track..."
Murray Altheim: "Quick question: do you want the recording of this second half of the duet to include both parts or..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0273 / Alarm Clocked / Make music for a (new! improved!) slow-waking alarm clock. • 0272 / Exoplanetary Intervals / Use music to express the relationships between planets. • 0271 / Prison Sky / Mark the 5th anniversary of open-source software engineer Bassel Khartabil's detention. • 0270 / Just Duet / Record the second half of a duet live. • 0269 / Duet Portion / Record half of a live duet.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice