- Today's Aphex Twin SAW2 track has a beat made from a vocal—this on an album often described as beatless + vocal free: http://t.co/68YCLqYgCB ->
- Duet for rain drops and distant siren. ->
- rainy day -> Augustus Pablo ->
- RT @touchmusic: Android version of Touch app now available here – http://t.co/JSH4ZNePsc ->
- 5 days, 5 tracks to go in Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown. Today, the Fourth World rhythmic aura of "Grass": http://t.co/78QEseDbae ->
- still raining -> Augustus Pablo -> Dub Narcotic Sound System ->
- Man, it's been 5 years since this incredible graphic-notation score exhibit at New Langton in San Francisco: http://t.co/jVvOLy248Y ->
- It's fun looking back 5/10/15 years each week. Love this quote from Greg Egan's Schild's Ladder: http://t.co/25uQ3VYJDI ->
- I'd pretty much go back to Japan for any reason, but this exhibit looks especially interesting: http://t.co/Rjx0zt8bUv ->
- Anxiety: hitting unfamiliar command-key combination by accident, seeing no resulting action, wondering what you've quite possibly unleashed. ->
- First of 5 posts I wrote for the 33 1/3 blog: RT @333books: Aphex Twin Week: The Aphex Twin Book I Did(n't) Write http://t.co/Vw20DZCXO7 ->
- Got Phil Kline in my head 'cause I'm walking past streets I only walk down during Unsilent Night. ->
- Every February 10 I am reminded it is the birthday of both Carl Stone and Robert Henke. ->
- You must! RT @robert_henke: @disquiet we ( Carl and I ) decided that some day we need to do a performance together on that day .-) ->
- Forgive my book-release enthusiasms, but evidence of my Aphex Twin @333books in a library: http://t.co/Fgm2Eu9kcO. Thanks, @AmbientRushton. ->
- 4 days left of the Aphex Twin SAW2 countdown. Today's track is one of the two rarities, "Hankie": http://t.co/UjKqvuKyAJ ->
- RIP Paul Ash, president of Sam Ash Music: http://t.co/lWQr44XX2b. And just a day after this Onion story: http://t.co/bAAruIY9xM ->
- This week's class discussion of The Conversation will be more focused on character than in past semesters, which were more on technology. ->
- Prominent mention of the @djunto (and wind chimes!) in my guest Aphex Twin post today at the @333books blog: http://t.co/HjEhdYe8Z0 ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FPYND6scRB ->
- Tuesday noon siren, just one voice among many in packed Financial District tapas restaurant. ->
- Recognition that things make more sense when you say "art market" in place of "art world." ->
- RT @stringbot: Staged tableau for @disquiet http://t.co/KZV0PPU1J3 ->
- Reading my students' notes on The Conversation, which none of them had seen before. Very much looking forward to tomorrow's sound class. ->
- This app was not installed on your next-to-most-recent-generation iPod Touch because Android isn't the only OS with fragmentation issues. ->
- Today's Aphex Twin @333books countdown is track #3 "Rhubarb"; 4 versions: original, reversed, acoustic guitar, remix: http://t.co/q6Y5wG00r5 ->
- On Feb 19 I'm talking @ccrma (@stanford): Two Decades of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II: http://t.co/gFaMMASnkg in reply to ccrma ->
- The URL gracenoises dot com is available. #justsayin ->
- RT @freemusicarchiv: Rick Prelinger and The Internet Archive Offer These Public Domain Films for Free Downloading and Reuse: https://t.co/C… ->
- RT @newbsradio: New episode is up! #NapoleonDynamite With author Marc Weidenbaum and @jongries! http://t.co/Oi3LZ1dvX7 @333books @AnotherMa… ->
- Thanks to @newbsradio for including me on their podcast. Tune in around 1:11:00 for our yap about my @333books book: http://t.co/7liIDqAmd8 ->
- “You have a certain way of opening the door. First, the key goes in real quiet, and then the doors come open real fast." #theconversation ->
- Cliff Martinez's score to Severe Clear has been added to Rdio. ->
- Today in sound class: how Hollywood shapes narrative use of audio; emphasis on The Conversation, Southland, score-as-laugh-track. ->
- For the @333books site: "cultural afterlife is a form of change": How 20 years of listening alter how SAW2 sounds: http://t.co/qxDOHjyTWa ->
- There's exactly one song attributed to Throbbing Gristle on Rdio, from a Cleopatra Records compilation. ->
- YouTube ads are annoying but there's something Ballardian about a Scrubbing Bubbles ad before Throbbing Gristle's 20 Jazz Funk Greats. ->
- Penultimate reverse-countdown Aphex Twin SAW2 track, which is to say: #2 ("Radiator"): http://t.co/ssJUKSalFW ->
- RIP, Maggie Estep (50), slam poetry and Nuyorican Poets Cafe figure: http://t.co/wLILdnmzqq ->
- The Merzbow Incident #noisemovies ->
- Full Metal Machine Music Jacket #noisemovies ->
- The Grey Wolves of Wall Street #noisemovies ->
- File under #meta: @boondesign gridized cover + @ambientrushton library copy in top search results for Selected Ambient Works Volume II cover ->
- Oh, and my Aphex Twin book (33 1/3) on Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 is officially out today. Not that I've been shy about this information. ->
- The full first chapter (including egregious single-letter, but quite important, typo) is up for free on Google Books: http://t.co/Vtrrc6SrG1 ->
- I considered misspelling "egregious" in that earlier tweet. ->
- 2012 was a big year for me: started Junto, created my sound course, did sound design with Taylor Deupree on a film, pitched the Aphex book. ->
- It's been days, but still all I'm listening to is Brumes (from Portland): http://t.co/rQqSbvxefa. (Thanks @ooray for the recommendation.) ->
- Today's Disquiet Junto will be a netlabel Creative Commons (adapt, share-alike) remix project. Been quite awhile since we did one. ->
- Very glad people find the Gracenote material in the Aphex book interesting: how hive-mind database mediates culture. ->
- Maybe just maybe it's time to drop the net-. Just be a label that happens to use Creative Commons. Maybe. ->
- 111th weekly Disquiet Junto project begins: http://t.co/mYWPmW31JM #netlabel #remix #creativecommons Inspired by @dpnem's Acts of Silence ->
- Just sent out the first http://t.co/A2xaR3KK3n email newsletter since November. I mean to do it monthly, even weekly. It's a start. ->
- RIP, Ralph Waite of The Waltons — had his character on NCIS passed away yet? ->
- RT @zeromoon: Let your fingers run through my hair with other strangers http://t.co/sppxybtMNM thx @ActSlnc #SoundCloud #remix ->
- Happy birthday, Edith Eisler. We miss you. ->
- Happy 50th birthday, Nonesuch. Perhaps my first #recordlabelcrush. ->
- 3 Feet High and Rising, 152 Megabytes Large and Downloading: http://t.co/gQIhccvvr5 ->
- Hey, my Aphex Twin book is for sale in Germany (albeit in English): http://t.co/Y0PO719s2q ->
- You're a pop-music journalist looking for fresh angle on Drake v. PSH? Please see p. 56 of my @333books Aphex Twin book (RDJ v. Cobain). ->
- Gist of the RDJ/Cobain story: reportedly RDJ was to be on cover of major music mag, nixed by Cobain's death, and RDJ was "weirdly" relieved. ->
- That's German for "collapsing new zombie hybrid soulmates." ->
- Redoing that #noisemovies tweet 'cause I messed it up. ->
- The Bride of Frankensteinstürzende Neubauten #noisemovies ->
- #starshiptroopers ->
- Previous tweet because I notice some people get vein-popping livid at mention of either Starship Troopers or hashtags. #starshiptroopers ->
- If I make a Venn diagram of people who get mad at Starship Troopers or hashtags, do I add a circle for people who get mad at Venn diagrams? ->
- My last day as @333books guest blogger: me writing about the Aphex Twin release I love second after SAW2, "Ventolin": http://t.co/IsWw8hBvM7 ->
- Richard D. James has more pseudonyms than Jason Bourne and Fernando Pessoa combined. ->
- I feel like Ventolin is Aphex Twin's Live at Leeds, after the extravagant (Tommy-ish?) Selected Ambient Works Volume II. ->
- RT @stringbot: @valhalladsp @disquiet @333books Ventolin EP is all killer no filler ->
- I use the "All My Files" sort in OS X Finder far more than I had expected to, specifically sorted by "Date Last Opened." ->
- Preview and Mail stall so often in Mavericks. #magic ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice