- These Divergent movie posters were designed to remind me what a role Robert Heinlein played in young-adult sci fi. ->
- 5 years ago this week Max Neuhaus died and I first wrote about Diego Bernal's music: http://t.co/zCD4N5tyKQ. 15 years ago I wrote on "NP." ->
- Arvo Pärt cover ("Fratres") attributed to A Winged Victory for the Sullen and ACME Ensemble: http://t.co/ff7kAZMk4v. ->
- RT @hecanjog: First listen to SAWII after reading the first half of Marc Weidenbaum's SAWII book! #nowplaying ->
- Fun is writing about a live event only to have someone who attended chime in in the comments: http://t.co/yZYl2PwJV1 ->
- Hopeful that Alexandre Desplat's Godzilla score is more Syriana and less Monuments Men. ->
- We should read JG Ballard's High Rise as San Francisco's One City One Book 2014. (Last year it was @doctorow's Little Brother.) ->
- Yes, I paused the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer for the trailer in order to get a glimpse of the raccoon. ->
- RIP, Bob Casale (61) of Devo: http://t.co/onRDD0Plgj ->
- Tuesday noon siren in San Francisco: http://t.co/FrVmKgO1Mx ->
- "A Rusty Obelisk Made Out of Angel Sighs": @editaurus has folks praise Aphex Twin SAW2 on its 20th: http://t.co/l3FEcCrkwh ->
- Meant it more as a joke yesterday, but today just mean it: the 2014 One City One Book in San Francisco should be JG Ballard's High Rise. ->
- My early experience of Devo was on tapes dubbed from vinyl by a friend. Years later I discovered the tapes were faster than the originals. ->
- Happy to read that my Aphex Twin book is in stock at @sakistore in Chicago. ->
- Most beatific smile I saw today was on the face of guy having a cup of coffee and reading a Star Trek novel. ->
- RT @newbsradio: Listen to find out how you can win these books and bags to carry said books from @333books and @disquiet! http://t.co/3J5MX… ->
- Reminder that I'm talking at Stanford's CCRMA facility tomorrow if you're in the Palo Alto area: http://t.co/Ccx521nshV. It's at 5:15pm. ->
- Truly doesn't think you can fully get Cage and Feldman until you've read Frog and Toad. #hasa3yearold ->
- Today's sound class: origins of the jingle; did advertising inventory shape song form? Plus: Reznor/Ross/Fincher, Dennis Potter, Southland. ->
- Gave my first non-podcast, in-person public yap tonight at CCRMA. It was a great experience. Read a bit, but much more lecture than reading. ->
- Also a first: signed my first book. A kid at Comic-Con once had me sign a copy of Shonen Jump, but this was my own book, which was cool. ->
- Great moment: showed Disquiet Junto screenshot, and in the audience was a Junto member who appeared on that page. Had never met him before. ->
- Weirdest thing about Aphex SAW2 after 20 years of listening and 1 year of writing: how familiar it is, having once been unknowable to me. ->
- Those little Altoids Smalls cases sure do a fine job of holding and protecting a pair of earbuds. Bonus: minty fresh hearing. ->
- RT @333books: Great 20th anniversary article on SAWII in @theQuietus by @NedRaggett with a nod to @disquiet's book: http://t.co/mNGi9sTBSF ->
- RIP, Paul Colby (96), owner of the Bitter End: http://t.co/7PuejoZWfJ ->
- RT @SactownMagazine: Former Tower Records magazine editor (@disquiet) writes the book — literally — on music legend Aphex Twin: http://t.… ->
- I need to come up with a gesticulation that means “I’m reading a really long subsidiary clause right now." ->
- "Hot new games + music to celebrate Black History Month" (From a Google Play Store email.) ->
- This week's @djunto project is calendrical. ->
- Photo of server room at Stanford's CCRMA facility, where I gave a talk last night on my Aphex Twin SAW2 33 1/3 book: http://t.co/mchfxlAyW9 ->
- Photo of innards of a Yamaha GS1 retrofitted with an Arduino to allow for a USB connection, also at CCRMA. http://t.co/Hi2jzprpSH ->
- I believe you've written my first blurb, sir. MT @robsheff "love how it evokes the way music circa 1994 was suffused with unknowable data." in reply to robsheff ->
- Many of us Aphex SAW2 listeners go to sleep listening to an album Chris Morris used as background music for his menacing comedy sketches. ->
- Hey, Alarm Will Sound is on Instagram: http://t.co/PGKZ34rVnE. #yieldtoartintransit ->
- Whenever I see this sign I wonder why @AlarmWillSound isn't the headliner: http://t.co/CIbgxRsB8Q ->
- "I have no more power ups." "They're attacking wooden posts." "4,000 Damage? One Guy? Dude." Conversation overheard in library. #gamestudies ->
- I contributed #TheNewOldThing on @YahooTech: The Latin Playboys' 1994 (yes, Aphex Twin SAW2 fans) debut: @YahooTech: https://t.co/U70dfT1khy ->
- It's possible to be pro-CC and pro-CCC at the same time. This "Artists’ Pay for Radio Play" stuff is important: http://t.co/RpkGAjUmpI ->
- #wikipedia I wonder if I could get one of them to add my book to the Aphex Twin SAW2 page: http://t.co/fqwYHiDhRp #editathon ->
- If (1) you have a 2013 Macbook Air and (2) use Google Hangouts and (3) video functions for you, please let me know. Thanks. #magicfail ->
- I enthusiastically support performers being paid for their covers. But the acts doing damage on this cafe's radio shouldn't make a penny. ->
- Is isn't Kiev, but with the right mix of caffeine and '80s rock covers I imagine people storming the counter and changing the radio station. ->
- Oh yeah, the book's out. Updated that Twitter bio. ->
- Hey, San Francisco Hive Mind: please recommend good Indian or Latin American restaurant near Caltrain stop between San Bruno + Belmont. ->
- RT @derderdebonair: So psyched about this #Berio concert poster I made. http://t.co/VRsGSHiIpy ->
5 Most Recent Comments
G: "I had completely forgot about “cassingles” even though they still take up residence on a shelf in..."
Willaim Scot Besseme: "Well, given that the 472s were chromium (hinted at with the “high bias” mention)..."
txehbST: "This is great, thank you. "
G: "Ampex were huge in reel tapes but for cassettes most I knew were using Maxell,TDK and BASF chromes. Are those 15..."
nix31: "Thank you for the playmoss tip! "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0253 / Doorbell Rehab / Record some welcome music. • 0252 / Sonic Palindrome / Make music that sounds the same backwards and forwards. • 0251 / Soothing Sounds for Parents / Remix some music for infants with parents in mind. • 0250 / Soothing Sounds for Junto / Make some peaceful music for an infant child. • 0249 / 80 Phases / Wish the minimalist composer Steve Reich a happy birthday.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice