- Next Tuesday, the "MP3 Discussion Group" at Disquiet.com will yap about Thomas Köner's Permafrost @_type reissue. Stream: http://is.gd/dV0cs #
- Artificial light allowed for "nightlife" & was later deemed a "moral force" by FDR. Elizabeth Royte on Jane Brox's study: http://is.gd/dTRkq #
- Philly instrumental hip-hop day: 1st @whyarcka – then Small Professor, then Hustle Simmons tracks by Tha S Ence. Now: Aeon Got Beats Vol. 1. #
- I left New Orleans seven years ago next week, and still have the same 504 cell number. It's my information age tattoo. #
- Fennesz coming to U.S. in September (SF, LA, NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Austin, Vancouver, Chicago, Seattle) http://is.gd/dT4zQ A rare tour #
- Great news on Urbanized by @gary_hustwit (Helvetica, Objectified). Soundtrack cues? Maybe Einstürzende Neubauten, Future Sound of London? #
- Dig Inception's glacial Piaf slowdown? Check out Alan Morse Davies; here's his "Gloomy Sunday" (Whiteman, not Holiday) http://is.gd/dT2MD #
- Beautiful realization: major Inception orchestral theme is Edith Piaf song slowed down http://is.gd/dT07J #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, shower, bus. #
- Bland uniformity of @soundcloud pages (as service expands in scope) proving to be navigation detriment; Twitter-style backgrounds would help #
- Maybe treacly @starbucks music is meant to reduce length of one's visit the way received wisdom has it about uncomfortable @mcdonalds seats. #
- Incredible number of emails from music publicists with nary genre nor adjective in 'em. "Here's a great record. Please listen." #
- When you're indoors and nextmuni.com tells you that your bus is "Arriving," hearing it arrive at that moment is just laying it on. #
- Time-lapse phonography; sounds like abstract Girl Talk: http://is.gd/dQW64 by @soundplusdesign #
- My idea of #idosing — wandering around city listening to Shane Carruth's score to Primer, keeping an eye out for quantum timeslips. #
- I hope someone's collecting and cataloging all these automobile sounds before the hybrids take over. #
- Cantina Band pondering move to new @creativecommons galaxy-spanning license; Meco hopeful to follow #wookieleaks #
- Forget fidelity. Few things lost as quickly in shared music than transitions between tracks — well, that and liner-note information. #
- ♫ Afternoon audio stream: live analog-synth activity from Keith Fullerton Whitman http://is.gd/dMRKt #
- Unintended definition of techno music: search Google for "4/4" and it tells you the answer is "1" http://is.gd/dME6k #
- So many of my Mac-centric friends use Microsoft mice, and now I'm hoping for Win7 support of the new Apple Magic Trackpad. #
- New issue of Applied Cognitive Psychology ponders if background music is deleterious to intellectual pursuits http://is.gd/dMzvu #
- Ah, silly me. Primer score via @amazon, just buried in search listings after heap of file-sharing spam-site gobbledygook http://is.gd/dMo9h #
- Multi-hyphen Shane Carruth's lo-fi sci-fi mind-fu Primer streaming free http://is.gd/dMm53 via @io9 — but how to get ahold of his score? #
- RIP, trumpeter Harry Beckett (b. 1935), veteran of Jah Wobble, David Sylvian, Adrian Sherwood & many jazz greats (Charles Mingus among 'em). #
- Listening to Dave Gruisin's score to Three Days of the Condor while pondering the potential of last night's promising Rubicon premiere. #
- Scored 18 of the first 19 issues of Cabinet Magazine yesterday. #
- Mysterious afternoon outdoors drone again. Let's assume this time it isn't to be followed by another off-shore quake. #
- Test your noise-blocking earbuds: can you enjoy @douglasbenford remix while rest of cafe's stuck with ELO & Stevie Nicks? http://is.gd/dKmZs #
- RIP Morris Pert (b.1947) Brand X alum, score composer/contributor (Man Who Fell to Earth, Killing Fields), session player http://is.gd/dJW0P #
- Will the Carolinian/Piedmont Amtrak line (NYC to Duke) sport uptick in old-school graffiti come start of Sept? LP-as-art: http://is.gd/dIwG5 #
- RIP, Willem Breuker (b. 1944), Dutch jazz figure http://is.gd/dH5o0 #conceptual #improvisation #avant #
- Sound design in Salt has pleasingly noisy Messiaen-ic church scene, but also one of James Newton Howard's most paint-by-numbers scores. #
- Got @firefox .0.1 upgrade (3.6.7 to 3.6.8): "single stability issue affecting some pages containing plugins"; hopefully less crashtastic. #
- A cold, early, summer Sunday is the quietest daylight time in San Francisco: fewer buses, no birds. #
- Stumbled on these these beautiful mid-century teak Griffin speakers while looking for a credenza: http://is.gd/dEV1a #
5 Most Recent Comments
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
Jason Richardson: "Thanks for all the ideas and the wonderful community you’ve created. "
Patrick: "Hi Marc, I was looking at the RR-830, did you get the loops to play nonstop on it? Or did you find..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0367 / Trio Initiate / The Assignment: Record the first third of an eventual trio.
• 0366 / Ice Breaker / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0365 / 2018 Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.
• 0364 / Casting Drones / The Assignment: Use dice to determine your slowly shifting tones.
• 0363 / Gymnopédie Rats / The Assignment: Make over Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1" in your chosen genre.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice