- Next Tuesday, the "MP3 Discussion Group" at Disquiet.com will yap about Thomas Köner's Permafrost @_type reissue. Stream: http://is.gd/dV0cs #
- Artificial light allowed for "nightlife" & was later deemed a "moral force" by FDR. Elizabeth Royte on Jane Brox's study: http://is.gd/dTRkq #
- Philly instrumental hip-hop day: 1st @whyarcka – then Small Professor, then Hustle Simmons tracks by Tha S Ence. Now: Aeon Got Beats Vol. 1. #
- I left New Orleans seven years ago next week, and still have the same 504 cell number. It's my information age tattoo. #
- Fennesz coming to U.S. in September (SF, LA, NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Austin, Vancouver, Chicago, Seattle) http://is.gd/dT4zQ A rare tour #
- Great news on Urbanized by @gary_hustwit (Helvetica, Objectified). Soundtrack cues? Maybe Einstürzende Neubauten, Future Sound of London? #
- Dig Inception's glacial Piaf slowdown? Check out Alan Morse Davies; here's his "Gloomy Sunday" (Whiteman, not Holiday) http://is.gd/dT2MD #
- Beautiful realization: major Inception orchestral theme is Edith Piaf song slowed down http://is.gd/dT07J #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, shower, bus. #
- Bland uniformity of @soundcloud pages (as service expands in scope) proving to be navigation detriment; Twitter-style backgrounds would help #
- Maybe treacly @starbucks music is meant to reduce length of one's visit the way received wisdom has it about uncomfortable @mcdonalds seats. #
- Incredible number of emails from music publicists with nary genre nor adjective in 'em. "Here's a great record. Please listen." #
- When you're indoors and nextmuni.com tells you that your bus is "Arriving," hearing it arrive at that moment is just laying it on. #
- Time-lapse phonography; sounds like abstract Girl Talk: http://is.gd/dQW64 by @soundplusdesign #
- My idea of #idosing — wandering around city listening to Shane Carruth's score to Primer, keeping an eye out for quantum timeslips. #
- I hope someone's collecting and cataloging all these automobile sounds before the hybrids take over. #
- Cantina Band pondering move to new @creativecommons galaxy-spanning license; Meco hopeful to follow #wookieleaks #
- Forget fidelity. Few things lost as quickly in shared music than transitions between tracks — well, that and liner-note information. #
- ♫ Afternoon audio stream: live analog-synth activity from Keith Fullerton Whitman http://is.gd/dMRKt #
- Unintended definition of techno music: search Google for "4/4" and it tells you the answer is "1" http://is.gd/dME6k #
- So many of my Mac-centric friends use Microsoft mice, and now I'm hoping for Win7 support of the new Apple Magic Trackpad. #
- New issue of Applied Cognitive Psychology ponders if background music is deleterious to intellectual pursuits http://is.gd/dMzvu #
- Ah, silly me. Primer score via @amazon, just buried in search listings after heap of file-sharing spam-site gobbledygook http://is.gd/dMo9h #
- Multi-hyphen Shane Carruth's lo-fi sci-fi mind-fu Primer streaming free http://is.gd/dMm53 via @io9 — but how to get ahold of his score? #
- RIP, trumpeter Harry Beckett (b. 1935), veteran of Jah Wobble, David Sylvian, Adrian Sherwood & many jazz greats (Charles Mingus among 'em). #
- Listening to Dave Gruisin's score to Three Days of the Condor while pondering the potential of last night's promising Rubicon premiere. #
- Scored 18 of the first 19 issues of Cabinet Magazine yesterday. #
- Mysterious afternoon outdoors drone again. Let's assume this time it isn't to be followed by another off-shore quake. #
- Test your noise-blocking earbuds: can you enjoy @douglasbenford remix while rest of cafe's stuck with ELO & Stevie Nicks? http://is.gd/dKmZs #
- RIP Morris Pert (b.1947) Brand X alum, score composer/contributor (Man Who Fell to Earth, Killing Fields), session player http://is.gd/dJW0P #
- Will the Carolinian/Piedmont Amtrak line (NYC to Duke) sport uptick in old-school graffiti come start of Sept? LP-as-art: http://is.gd/dIwG5 #
- RIP, Willem Breuker (b. 1944), Dutch jazz figure http://is.gd/dH5o0 #conceptual #improvisation #avant #
- Sound design in Salt has pleasingly noisy Messiaen-ic church scene, but also one of James Newton Howard's most paint-by-numbers scores. #
- Got @firefox .0.1 upgrade (3.6.7 to 3.6.8): "single stability issue affecting some pages containing plugins"; hopefully less crashtastic. #
- A cold, early, summer Sunday is the quietest daylight time in San Francisco: fewer buses, no birds. #
- Stumbled on these these beautiful mid-century teak Griffin speakers while looking for a credenza: http://is.gd/dEV1a #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• I pondered the word "orchestral" in my liner notes for the excellent new album Uprooted from Rotterdam-based Michel Banabila, released April 9, 2019.
• I had the great pleasure of being interviewed by Darwin Grosse for his excellent, longrunning podcast, Art + Music + Technology, and the episode went live on April 7, 2019: artmusictech.libsyn.com.
• I gave the opening talk on March 22, 2019, at the inaugural Algorithmic Art Assembly in San Francisco. I'll post a summary here soon, but for the time being, there's a great overview of the event at the website of cycling74.com, written by Tom Hall.
• I was on Vivian Host's Peak Time show (on Red Bull Radio) on March 11 to extol the timeless virtues of Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II, and related works. You can listen to a recording here: redbullradio.com.
• May 7, 2019: This day sees the release of Rob Walker's book The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday (Knopf), which has entries about the Disquiet Junto.
• May 22, 2019: Final day of the semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I post occasional updates here. Follow the tag #sounds-of-brands.
• June 23, 2019: There's a Disquiet Junto concert this Sunday at 8pm at Cabaret Berlin in Montréal, Quebec.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the forthcoming book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the forthcoming book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell.
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Most Recent Posts
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0385 / Audubonus Instrumentum / The Assignment: Imagine a fake instrument, and make music with it.
• 0384 / Breath Beat / The Assignment: Explore breath as a resource for rhythm.
• 0383 / Interstellar Ambience / The Assignment: Record the sound of an apartment on a large interstellar ship.
• 0382 / Understanding McLuhan / The Assignment: Remix samples of an interview with Eric McLuhan on his father and media theory.
• 0381 / Shared System / The Assignment: make music using a free software synth assembled by Scanner.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 384 consecutive weeks to date.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice
Most Recent Comments
tuonela: "Ah yes, I was the doctor… if I can find/recall his password, I could be so again! "
Nick: "Play Music does the same thing when individual tracks have the same name – so if you have an EP with..."
Bob phillips: "Tracking aarset I came by disquiet :) nice reference links "
Rainer Burkhardt: "I got this book some days ago. I just read the page about you collecting sounds. So I looked for..."
Kent Sparling: "What an astute observation! Sadly, so true in my experience; many more people interested in..."