- Next Tuesday, the "MP3 Discussion Group" at Disquiet.com will yap about Thomas KÃ¶ner's Permafrost @_type reissue. Stream: http://is.gd/dV0cs #
- Artificial light allowed for "nightlife" & was later deemed a "moral force" by FDR. Elizabeth Royte on Jane Brox's study: http://is.gd/dTRkq #
- Philly instrumental hip-hop day: 1st @whyarcka – then Small Professor, then Hustle Simmons tracks by Tha S Ence. Now: Aeon Got Beats Vol. 1. #
- I left New Orleans seven years ago next week, and still have the same 504 cell number. It's my information age tattoo. #
- Fennesz coming to U.S. in September (SF, LA, NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Austin, Vancouver, Chicago, Seattle) http://is.gd/dT4zQ A rare tour #
- Great news on Urbanized by @gary_hustwit (Helvetica, Objectified). Soundtrack cues? Maybe EinstÃ¼rzende Neubauten, Future Sound of London? #
- Dig Inception's glacial Piaf slowdown? Check out Alan Morse Davies; here's his "Gloomy Sunday" (Whiteman, not Holiday) http://is.gd/dT2MD #
- Beautiful realization: major Inception orchestral theme is Edith Piaf song slowed down http://is.gd/dT07J #
- Morning sounds: hard drives, shower, bus. #
- Bland uniformity of @soundcloud pages (as service expands in scope) proving to be navigation detriment; Twitter-style backgrounds would help #
- Maybe treacly @starbucks music is meant to reduce length of one's visit the way received wisdom has it about uncomfortable @mcdonalds seats. #
- Incredible number of emails from music publicists with nary genre nor adjective in 'em. "Here's a great record. Please listen." #
- When you're indoors and nextmuni.com tells you that your bus is "Arriving," hearing it arrive at that moment is just laying it on. #
- Time-lapse phonography; sounds like abstract Girl Talk: http://is.gd/dQW64 by @soundplusdesign #
- My idea of #idosing — wandering around city listening to Shane Carruth's score to Primer, keeping an eye out for quantum timeslips. #
- I hope someone's collecting and cataloging all these automobile sounds before the hybrids take over. #
- Cantina Band pondering move to new @creativecommons galaxy-spanning license; Meco hopeful to follow #wookieleaks #
- Forget fidelity. Few things lost as quickly in shared music than transitions between tracks — well, that and liner-note information. #
- â™« Afternoon audio stream: live analog-synth activity from Keith Fullerton Whitman http://is.gd/dMRKt #
- Unintended definition of techno music: search Google for "4/4" and it tells you the answer is "1" http://is.gd/dME6k #
- So many of my Mac-centric friends use Microsoft mice, and now I'm hoping for Win7 support of the new Apple Magic Trackpad. #
- New issue of Applied Cognitive Psychology ponders if background music is deleterious to intellectual pursuits http://is.gd/dMzvu #
- Ah, silly me. Primer score via @amazon, just buried in search listings after heap of file-sharing spam-site gobbledygook http://is.gd/dMo9h #
- Multi-hyphen Shane Carruth's lo-fi sci-fi mind-fu Primer streaming free http://is.gd/dMm53 via @io9 — but how to get ahold of his score? #
- RIP, trumpeter Harry Beckett (b. 1935), veteran of Jah Wobble, David Sylvian, Adrian Sherwood & many jazz greats (Charles Mingus among 'em). #
- Listening to Dave Gruisin's score to Three Days of the Condor while pondering the potential of last night's promising Rubicon premiere. #
- Scored 18 of the first 19 issues of Cabinet Magazine yesterday. #
- Mysterious afternoon outdoors drone again. Let's assume this time it isn't to be followed by another off-shore quake. #
- Test your noise-blocking earbuds: can you enjoy @douglasbenford remix while rest of cafe's stuck with ELO & Stevie Nicks? http://is.gd/dKmZs #
- RIP Morris Pert (b.1947) Brand X alum, score composer/contributor (Man Who Fell to Earth, Killing Fields), session player http://is.gd/dJW0P #
- Will the Carolinian/Piedmont Amtrak line (NYC to Duke) sport uptick in old-school graffiti come start of Sept? LP-as-art: http://is.gd/dIwG5 #
- RIP, Willem Breuker (b. 1944), Dutch jazz figure http://is.gd/dH5o0 #conceptual #improvisation #avant #
- Sound design in Salt has pleasingly noisy Messiaen-ic church scene, but also one of James Newton Howard's most paint-by-numbers scores. #
- Got @firefox .0.1 upgrade (3.6.7 to 3.6.8): "single stability issue affecting some pages containing plugins"; hopefully less crashtastic. #
- A cold, early, summer Sunday is the quietest daylight time in San Francisco: fewer buses, no birds. #
- Stumbled on these these beautiful mid-century teak Griffin speakers while looking for a credenza: http://is.gd/dEV1a #
5 Most Recent Comments
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
Mia Zabelka: "Thank you for the review. Thank you for the review! "
Rutger Zuydervelt: "Hi. Thanks for the review. Just a small thing, but memo’s piece is called..."
Aniket Roy: "Really very thoughtful. Sounds fun and worth a try at least. "
5 Most Recent Posts
Current Activities• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project. • November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com). • December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come. • December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com. • January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto. • Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto. • My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0296 / Clustered Primes / Make music inspired by a prime-number query initiated by novelist Robin Sloan. • 0295 / Disregard Echoes / Make music inspired by a haiku, reflecting on Australian history. • 0294 / Offline Status / Pay tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil by turning his spoken words into music. • 0293 / Emerge/Immerse / Make music for Paige Dansinger's Palmyra 3D/VR images, paying tribute to the late Bassel Khartabil. • 0292 / Eclipse Music / In coordination with St. Louis Art Hack Day, make some solar-inspired tunes.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice