- Next Buddha Machine "Chan Fang" ç¦…æˆ¿ is Chinese classical instruments: "Pure melody: no heavy reverb, layers of delay or any other processing" #
- 1,000 Buddha Machines, sitting in a grid: http://is.gd/eIrDu #
- Excellent scrap paper at the San Francisco Public Library: http://ow.ly/i/3sxZ Christian Marclay would approve. #
- RIP, Keith Barr (b. 1949), Alesis founder and developer of ADAT (digital audio tape) http://is.gd/eHrSY #
- Reminder: 9/5 is last day of Shanghai exhibit @asianartmuseum in SF; neon sound art "Landscape" (2007) by Shen Fan (ç”å‡¡) is a must-see/hear. #
- In the past 24 hours, both the Ghostly Discovery (1.50) and Buddha Machine (2.1) iOS apps were updated to allow for background play. #
- Marvin Hamlisch named conductor of Pasadena Pops. Does this mean we'll have an orchestral night of the music of Steven Soderbergh films? #
- Nostalgia can be measured. It equals the length of time between when one attends a concert & when one begins to look for a bootleg thereof. #
- #ff @fieldnoiseaudio @dubfiction @sfemf @soundtrackerdoc @whyarcka @my_fun @davidholmes (not the one you think); off-topic: @twart1st #
- Vaguely remembering pager slang. #
- Zorn/[email protected]: great. Four songs, improvised, the third with Mike Patton joining in. Riley sang as well as played piano; Zorn beamed. #
- Headed to Yoshi's for 8pm Zorn+Riley duo. How it's (reportedly) not sold out, I dunno. The 10pm Zorn+Frith+Patton reportedly has sold out. #
- Ghost of record-retail's past: http://ow.ly/i/3qX4 #
- RIP, literary critic Frank Kermode (b. 1919), a cornerstone of my college education. #
- Music by Philip Glass, Jonathan Coulton, Moby in geometric-remix game Chime (for charity) . Clear summary: http://is.gd/eFiTP (via bradonnm) #
- Bill Laswell's Method of Defiance (w/ Kondo, Krush, Worrell) has signed up at http://soundcloud.com/methodofdefiance #
- Great zombie-hand-in-pixel-sea cover art by Hannes Pasqualini for Plain Flavored's netlabel frelease Chipmusic in G Minor http://is.gd/eEYkm #
- Caught the Glasshouse gallery-as-home exhibit by Lital Dotan & Eyal Perry at Marina AbramoviÄ‡ West tonigh; lots of sound, not all domestic. #
- When wherehouse.com fulfills an online order, the email confirmation receipt tells you how much it'll pay to buy back previous purchases. #
- Near-silence in library suddenly dispelled by loud, and quite hi-fidelity, ringtone of Michael Jackson's "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)." #
- Slonimsky would have even RT'd John Stuart Mill: "I was seriously tormented by the thought of the exhaustibility of musical combinations." #
- More Nicolas Slonimsky: "Musicians do not manufacture material goods and therefore, like poets, must subsist parasitically." #
- Twitter's digital liquefaction has me in Hayward again. Odd, 'cause I see the Pacific Ocean & Golden Gate Park where I'm standing @support #
- Twitter was made for Nicolas Slonimsky. On conductors: "convenient to have a leader whose function is to give the signal to begin the music" #
- Still convinced #dubstep is a successful rebranding of #illbient Great free hour-long mix by Matta at http://j.mp/9aSzuD (via @adnoiseam) #
- Testing the photo-posting option in Android Hootsuite: http://ow.ly/i/3pp1 #
- Hot: 80 degrees inside. Odd night, sleeping with window open — rarity in these parts. Fell asleep to insect chatter; woke to passing geese. #
- Oddly fixated on whether or not the favicon for Google Calendar will switch from 31 to 30 when August gives way to September. #
- Neat web-based "DJ player" for Soundcloud (includes modest little looper) http://soundcloud.musikame.com/ via @davidholmes @haynes_dave #
- RIP, songwriter George David Weiss (b. 1921; "Can't Help Falling in Love," "Wonderful World," "Lion Sleeps Tonight") #wimoweh #
- ♫ Morning sounds: initial release, all low-lying techno by Bartek Kawula, on the brand new netlabel http://basicsounds.ca (via @ario et al.) #
- When I read Eno collaborates with Jon Hopkins, I think Johns Hopkins, meaning Baltimore, meaning Matmos, which unfortunately isn't the case. #
- The music last night on Rubicon ("Connect the Dots") was its best yet. Is Peter Nashel still on the show, or is it a new composer? #
- There's gotta be a nearby alternate universe where the manga Gantz and the Webkinz company Ganz are one and the same. #
- Seems ironic: audio-book version of Gordon Hempton's One Square Inch of Silence: One Man’s Search for Natural Silence in a Noisy World. #
- RIP, inventor Robert W. Gundlach (b. 1926), leading figure in development of Xerox http://is.gd/ezp95 #copyleft #
- Zimoun will have piece @_TheLab_ (SF) group show 9/17-10/9, 2010, w/ Koski, Chapple, Bowen, Haynes/Parker, Crofton, Jorritsma, Thwaites … #
- Brian Eno signing with Warp Records is as if Miles Davis had left Columbia not for Warner Bros. but for ECM. #
- Sometimes I have to remind myself that when someone describes something as "dissonant noise" it's intended as a pejorative. #
- Morning sound: 1st evidence of birdsong in weeks. Like someone added a vocal to the standard instrumental track of hard drive, bus, & plane. #
- Passing boombox, a floor below, raspy as all get-out: an FM station through busted speakers on draining batteries powering rusted wires … #
- Twilight:Shojo::True Blood:Yaoi. #
- Me & 10 ancient ladies buying dim sum. Hard to believe the steadily percolating background chatter would be foreground if I knew Chinese. #
- Whenever I am inundated by news about Vin Scully, I am momentarily surprised by the popularity of architectural criticism. #
- Just realized you already can subscribe to comments on individual posts on my Disquiet.com site. Guess I can check that off my to-do list. #
- Firemen walk in & out of Toronado to deal with fire in basement, while bar remains full of people drinking. Outside kids stare at the trucks #
- Morning sounds: passing cars resounding like waves, hard drives buzzing like insects. Everyday tech is a sound menagerie. #
5 Most Recent Comments
Stephen Vitiello: "thank you Marc! "
Andrew Culture: "I now wish I had seen Buster Scruggs at the cinema, although I’m not sure it ever got a..."
jimmy kipple: "Rubber stamp! You going full mail art in ’19?? ;) "
Michael Ross: "Thanks for the shout out Marc "
Martin: "I just fell over this article while browsing about disquiet. Thanks a lot for the write up. Nice to know..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• February 6, 2019: First day of the new semester of the 15-week "Sounds of Brands" course I teach once a year at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• March 22, 2019: I'm giving a talk at the Algorithmic Art Assembly, two days of events in San Francisco: aaassembly.org.
• December 13, 2019: This day marks the 23rd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 7, 2020: This day marks the 8th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It has been translated into Spanish, and is due out soon in Japanese, as well. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0372 / Honeymoon Phase / The Assignment: Record a piece of music with (only) your most recently obtained instrument or music/sound tool.
• 0371 / Concrete Ambience / The Assignment: What could concrete wallpaper music sound like?
• 0370 / Through Lines / The Assignment: Follow a single strand in the accumulated material resulting from a multi-part, multi-thread collaborative endeavor.
• 0369 / Final Solo / The Assignment: Record the final third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track, based itself on a prior pre-existing track.
• 0368 / Engage Duo / The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice