Disquiet Junto After the End of SoundCloud Groups

Processes and platforms in the near term, and after

This morning SoundCloud announced that it is sunsetting it Groups functionality. This is the note that came today to Groups moderators:

We’re constantly looking for ways to make it easier for creators to share their work and connect with new fans. As well as adding new features and updates, we review existing features to see if they’re still beneficial to the community.

As we dug into the best ways for curators to connect with artists and fans, we found that Groups aren’t working as well as reposts, and curated playlists.

With that in mind, we’ve decided to phase out Groups on Monday, August 22nd to make room for future updates. Until then, you can collect, like or repost the content you would like to save, and connect with your fellow Group members.

As a Group moderator, we understand the following you’ve built by moderating submissions to your Groups — we suggest to keep that following going by creating a profile to curate. You can use Reposts and Playlists to share suitable tracks, and accept submissions via Messages.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on how we can continue to improve your experience on SoundCloud. Send your ideas and feedback by replying directly to this email.

Here is the note that I sent out just now to the members of the Disquiet Junto email list (tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto). The short version: the Disquiet Junto is not going away.

Dear Members of the Disquiet Junto,

You may have read about upcoming changes to SoundCloud, specifically that the Groups functionality is going to be mothballed.

Just to be clear, the Disquiet Junto is not going away. More on that below.

SoundCloud has been incredibly supportive of the Junto since the group was founded back in January 2012. The Junto was, in fact, devised with the Groups functionality in mind. In many promotional/editorial ways, SoundCloud employees have played a big role in helping the Junto build an audience and its membership. Key personnel there have also been especially responsive to technical queries over the years. (Speaking of which, on an unrelated note, if you know someone at Instagram who is supportive, I have a small request I’d like to make.)

With the SoundCloud Groups functionality going away (technically the old groups will be frozen in state), I’m now pondering next steps. There are various options.

Certainly for the short term, the Junto will proceed on the SoundCloud service. I’m not sure how exactly I’m going to manage the production of playlists, but my current workflow thought is as follows:

Step 1: Participant posts track to SoundCloud.

Step 2: Participant (privately) messages me the track’s URL.

Step 3: I then add the track to two playlists: (1) an overall group playlist and (2) a project-specific playlist.

The end result is that there still would be, as with the current group page, a playlist that allows Junto participants and observers to witness all tracks as they’re added. (An alternate to Step 2 above is the participant tags my username, @disquiet, in the comment of the track. That could save a step that messaging would require.)

There actually some potential small benefits to this scenario. One benefit is that it’s harder this way for someone to spam the group, because they have to get through me first. (Spam has been a hassle, not because of the process of removing tracks, but because of how rude people can be when I do so.) The other benefit is that participant messages (or comment tags) will automatically ping me, which in turn means I don’t have to check the Junto page multiple times a day (as I do now) to see if new tracks have been added. This would also, come to think of it, free up whatever part of my brain remembers the most recent track that I’ve already added to the group — and believe me, freed-up brain space is attractive to me, even in tiny increments.

There are, of course, demerits to the change, and while I have no plans to vacate SoundCloud, I would be ill advised not to think about ways to potentially migrate the Junto down the road, either to another service or to the Junto’s own dedicated online space. I’m interested in seeing what Naviar Haiku and other groups based on SoundCloud do. The Weekly Beats site (weeklybeats.com) is worth taking a look at in this regard. Likewise, the great Stones Throw Beat Battle uses a public message board (in contrast with our semi-private Junto Slack) as a way to track participation. It’s here:

For the Junto, I don’t currently see this Groups-function sunset as a huge issue. I think it’ll potentially have a more adverse effect on groups dedicated to particular types of software and hardware, as I’m not sure how a dedicated Octatrack or OP-1 or Monome (etc.) group would transition to a playlist-only system. Then again, I’m only just now beginning to think about all this.

Anyhow, I wanted to get my thoughts on this out as soon as possible. As always, if you have any input on options for the future, that’d be super. A year or so ago I put out a call for a Disquiet “board of advisors,” and ironically I was so overwhelmed by the response (about 35 people offered to participate) I just haven’t had the time to (yet) act on the generosity.

Thanks for reading.

Best wishes from San Francisco,

Marc

1. Dakoda Sada
    [ Posted August 3, 2016, at 3:18 pm ]

If they drop groups they will drop users, paying users like me… I’ve made 15 tracks so far, I have 4700 plays and 950 likes, if groups functionality is removed, how will I promote my new music on the platform. am I supposed to spam people with private messages (instead of targetting users through groups who are of a like mind , because of the nature of a group etc) it all doesn’t make sense to me and while I’m sure Soundcloud has a plan they haven’t explained it to me and I’m not sure they want to or care frankly.

• Markian Volkov
      [ Posted September 13, 2016, at 4:45 pm ]

That’s what I was wondering. Now how can I promote my music on soundcloud without groups? Just a bad move.

• Rapperazzi
      [ Posted October 9, 2016, at 5:52 pm ]

They probably are trying to push some kind of paid promotion.

2. Gahlord
    [ Posted August 5, 2016, at 9:27 am ]

I saw you migrated to a discourse driven site focused on the monome. I think discourse is great and I bet that forum is great. But I’d love to see you migrate it to a discourse-driven forum of your own. It isn’t terribly expensive to get a basic setup going. And you already have enough community to bring in that would make it worthwhile. It would be nice to be a place that isn’t necessarily about a specific piece of gear but rather about music/creating sound more generally.

• Marc Weidenbaum
      [ Posted August 5, 2016, at 12:56 pm ]

Thanks. It’s been on my mind to do so, and the llllllll.co is a good opportunity to test out the idea — and also to potentially expand participation by appealing to llllllll.co regulars. We shall see where it goes. Thanks again for the interest. And just to be clear, there’s more than Monome on the llllllll.co boards. There’s good discussion about modular gear, Octatrack, and more general ideas like time signatures and field recordings and so forth.

• Claude Charles
      [ Posted August 8, 2016, at 2:44 pm ]

I’m always amazed at the diversity of talents and/or knowledge between any weekly collaborations. This also means a total openness towards audio equipment and techniques used, therefore only places like soundcloud and bandcamp are really “open” for everyone, meaning you don’t have to be a computer expert to register. I’m out of town, getting the internet with a big cream plate, >meaning it’s slow< and if I’m ready to accept a slow ello.co since it’s giving me the best pictures in return, I already noticed illi.co is eating my bandwidth -for no good reason. No hope to get participants from the heart of Africa if we keep forgetting about important details. So I don’t know if I agree with @gahlord’s comment but I got it right, yes I do. Let’s have a basic, simple to use, no-colour car that we can share for everyday use,with a big trunk to put all our music inside, this doesn’t keep any member to own a fancy car for himself (like on Lionel Benancie’s pic).

3. Claude Charles
    [ Posted August 8, 2016, at 2:48 pm ]

Wouldn’t dare to post a pic of my own car!

4. Monsterovich
    [ Posted September 2, 2016, at 2:36 pm ]

https://soundcloud.com/losttalentgroup Join us if you want normal groups back.

• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
    • January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.

• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
    • March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
    • December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
    • January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
    • There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
    • A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)

• 0561 / Samplelicker / The Assignment: Rework environmental sound recordings with Aphex Twin's new software.
    0560 / Sonic Disambiguation / The Assignment: Help the Wikimedia Foundation develop a sonic logo.
    0559 / Yes Exit / The Assignment: Compose your personal entrance and exit cues for conference calls.
    0558 / Chore Progressions / The Assignment: Use a routine activity as the map of a composition.
    0557 / Condensation Is a Form of Change / The Assignment: Interpret a graphic score that depicts four phases.

• Full Index
    And there is a complete list of past projects, 561 consecutive weeks to date.