One more recommended audio-video stream (nee “music video”) before the weekend. Following up on yesterday’s bit of aquarium stillness by Keith Fullerton Whitman (aka Hrvatski), the second most recent entry on his site’s film page is “Travel.” The glitchy yet tonal audio comes from two unreleased tracks. Whitman describes “Travel” as follows: “a compilation of crossfaded still digital-camera-in-movie-mode clips shot out of train windows during 2002 and 2003 throughout asia and europe. it was originally intended as a performance backdrop for kfw concerts and has since acquired a life of its own.” The visual pairings, resulting from the fades, include luggage conveyor belts and rolling countryside, trains and neon, and many layered cityscapes. There’s also a strange little animated interstitial that inserts a little humor. As for the music, “the soundtrack consists of two extended aleatoric computer music pieces. … one using the sounds of the hourly bell procession in barcelona’s pla?a de catalunya as its source, the other a rough version of a piece keith began whilst working on the ’73’ ep (long since abandoned).” And for those aspiring videographers in the audience, the footage was filmed “with a canon powershot g2 digital still camera in ‘movie mode.'” (The film archive is here, on Whitman’s reckankomplex.com website.)
5 Most Recent Comments
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
Chris: "Love this post, Marc. A great slice of this year’s news … "
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends. • 0259 / Signals Lost / Summon up a horror story in sound.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice