The performance of the play In the Solitude of Cotton Fields by Bernard-Marie Koltes, earlier this year at the Battersea Arts Centre in London, sure must have been quiet. That’s judging by the score, which its composer, John Chantler, has posted at inventingzero.net. The six MP3s, ranging from a seven and a half minutes to close to eighteen, consist almost entirely of soft, held tones, rarely more than two or three appearing simultaneously. Though the tones and timbres are numerous, the individual sounds have far more in common than they have to distinguish them from each other. They’re round and the appear slowly, occasionally evidencing the rhythm of a sine wave in action, once in a while approaching something that might be taken for friction, but only because of the relative placidity of the overall surroundings. Writes Chandler in his brief description, “Its meant to be fairly quiet – so turn yr system down.”
5 Most Recent Comments
yvonne: "This apps are great. I really have fun using these apps Blocs Wave and mx player. all in all this article..."
audio pervert: "Try listen to albums like it was … Instead of chasing mindless playlists as background muzak. "
Michi: "I love the artwork. Great guitar picks "
Ian Joyce: "Beautiful as this is to listen to at home – her performance in person is totally absorbing. Her..."
Jens Alfke: "Has anyone made a mirror of this playlist on Apple Music? If not, maybe I will… (i know I can..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• December 13, 2018: This day marks the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0350 / Selected Insomniac Works / The Assignment: Make very quiet music for very late at night for very fragile psyches.
• 0349 / Got Glitch? / The Assignment: Help define "glitch" by glitching something, and explaining what you did.
• 0348 / Hot Mise en Abyme / The Assignment: Make a piece of music inspired by the art-historical term for fractal/recursion.
• 0347 / Remix Remodel / The Assignment: Update a track by one Junto participant by adding beats from another Junto.
• 0346 / Drum Machinations / The Assignment: Make a beat with new drum machine sounds provided by other Junto musicians.
... And there is a complete list of past projects.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands studio journal this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice