Singular electronic-music figures are joining bands, writing songs and even going on tour. Prefuse73, aka Scott Herren, has recorded Brazilianate pop music with Catalan singer Eva Puyuelo Muns, under the collective name Savath & Savalas. Oval’s Markus Popp made good on his last name by doing a record with a proper vocalist, Eriko Toyoda, under the name So. And now Robin Rimbaud, known as Scanner due to his early penchant for funneling scanned conversation into his atmospheric music, has joined a quartet, Githead, in which he is not the only known entity. The band teams him with Wire’s Colin Newman and Minimal Compact’s Malka Spigel and Max Franken. Together they make music ripe for a moment in which post-punk is having a comeback and various Wire contemporaries are regrouping. Githead’s website, githead.co.uk, features several downloadable examples of exactly the sort of spartan pop you’d expect from Rimbaud’s fellow players, if not much of what one associates with Rimbaud himself. Still, “To Have and to Hold” (MP3) opens with a moody bit of reverberance that suggests the Cure and the Police, as does the extended fade on “Option Paralysis” (MP3). Electronica it ain’t, but any fan of Scanner’s will benefit from getting a broader sense of where his head’s at … and, heard in the context of the likes of Herren and Popp’s vocal projects, where electronic music may be headed.
5 Most Recent Comments
natalie: "thanks so much for listening to and writing about my noise! i’m honored, surprised, and delighted. "
Neurogami: "I’ve a Surface Pro 3, but typically prefer the more recent and beefier Lenovo X1 Yoga. I’ve..."
james: "since when did aphex tell the truth tho "
Stomp Box: "“the audience for cassettes has expanded in recent years” Is this true? sounds awful. Vinyl..."
Lloyd W Barrett: "Hi Marc. If you have a chance check out Usine Hollyhock (http://www.sensomusic.org/) It is..."
5 Most Recent Posts
• October 13, 2016: This day marks the start of the 250th weekly Disquiet Junto project.
• November 16, 2016: I'll be sharing the mic at Adobe Books in San Francisco with my fellow 33 1/3 author Evie Nagy for an evening hosted, from 7pm to 10pm, by Marc Kate (facebook.com).
• December 1, 2016: A likely speaking engagement. Details to come.
• December 13, 2016: This day marks the 20th anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• January 5, 2017: This day marks the 5th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
disquiet juntoThe Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects: • 0264 / Time Travel / Record a piece of music that plays with the perception of time. • 0263 / Overture Edit / Produce an overture to an existing album. • 0262 / Ice Code / Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it. • 0261 / Audio Journal 2016 / Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments. • 0260 / Tone Fade / An exercise in when a sound ends.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice