Yet another twist in composer Koji Asano‘s weekly free downloads, at kojiasano.com. When the second weekly file was uploaded, the first one disappeared, suggesting that subsequent entries in the series would be available for one week only. But that plan has changed. Now, when a download is first made available, it’s done so as a massive file, “lossless” in the current lingo (“lossless” may be inexact, but it’s no understatement; the second week’s Asano file came in at just under 100 MB). Thereafter the piece is downsized significantly (same length, different density), and archived permanently (that 100 MB piece is now just under 14). Well, maybe not permanently. It’s Asano’s site, and he’s welcome to change the rules. So get ’em while they’re hot. The current entry, “January Rainbow (Cold Winter Mix Version),” is an extended piece of digitally treated chamber music, displaced fragments of piano chords echoing as they drop through computer-generated motes.
5 Most Recent Comments
Debashis Sinha: "Thanks so much for this Marc – spot on analysis. You nailed it exactly. "
Brian Biggs: "Fantastic. There’s a Rube Goldberg analogy hidden there in the electronics. "
djbaroki: "Thanks for ur post ,what is your opinion about this techno pack is it a good choice for minimal techno..."
Jose: "Marc, holy smokes. I just realized you did a write up on this. My deepest and most sincere gratitudes and..."
jimmy kipple sound: "but but but what was the song? "
5 Most Recent Posts
• January 2, 2018: This day marks the 6th anniversary of the Disquiet Junto.
• February 7, 2018: Start of the semester for the course I teach on the role of sound in the media landscape at the Academy of Art in San Francisco.
• December 13, 2018: This day marked the 22nd anniversary of Disquiet.com.
• Ongoing: The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury, is now in its second printing. It can be purchased at amazon.com, among other places.
The Disquiet Junto is an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making space in which restraints are used as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. There is an FAQ. ... These are the 5 most recent weekly projects:
• 0316 / El Segundo / The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.
• 0315 / First Chair / The Assignment: Record the first third of a trio.
• 0314 / Cold Start / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.
• 0313 / Audio Journal 2017 / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen five-second segments.
• 0312 / Amplify/Magnify / The Assignment: Explore two ways in which sound is scaled.
... And there is a complete list of projects at disquiet.com/junto.
Tags8-bit app audio-games brands of sounds chiptune classical comics copyleft field-recording film forum-digger free free download gadget generative i-hop IFTTTgram installation ios ipad iphone ipod ipod touch junto listening to yesterday live-performance modular netlabel noise recommended stream remix rock saw2for33third science-fiction score site-maintenance software sound-art sounds-of-brands this week in sound turntablism TV video video-games voice