- Morning sounds in Los Angeles: hotel's air conditioner provides foley soundtrack for the distant but muffled freeway traffic. #
- Excellent. Now have Windows 7 on my laptop, and the tablet software is fully functional. All that the latter took was a little auto-update. #
- One vote in Windows 7's favor: installed at last minute before trip to LA, and aside from tablet support on my Fujitsu, it's working well. #
- Late-night office sounds: traffic, photocopier, fluorescent lights. #
- Headed to LA this coming weekend. Will be downtown & car-less thru Sunday afternoon. Visiting @crewest & @lacma — anything else going on? #
- Weekly Tuesday siren: when it came to a close today it sounded like a record player slowing down after someone inadvertently pulled its plug #
- Night sounds: the odd bus, distant car activity, ringing ears, grumbling stomach. #
- RIP, musicologist David Drew (b. 1930), early proponent of the music of Olivier Messaien: http://is.gd/2lw5I #
- The Eno/Byrne free remix compilation I put together just passed 29,000 downloads: http://is.gd/2lwIa #
- Via @peterkirn a wise call to add a "music" category to the iPhone/Touch app store: http://ow.ly/kkEp #
- Unscientific test: Which iPhone music app appeals most to my 14-month-old nephew? FingerBeat, followed distantly by Bloom in second place. #
- Great fun last night at opening party for newpeopleworld.com in San Francisco's Japantown. Highlight: meeting manga-ka Yuichi Yokoyama. #
- RIP, Carleen Hutchins (b. 1911), violin maker and associate of spatial composer Henry Brant http://is.gd/2jFqI #
- RIP, producer and musician Jim Dickinson, master of the sound of Memphis (Big Star, Replacements). http://is.gd/2jFtc RT @defjaf #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2021: This day marks the 25th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• December 28, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marks the 10th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• July 28, 2021: This day marked the 500th consecutive weekly project in the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• The Disquiet Junto series of weekly communal music projects explore constraints as a springboard for creativity and productivity. There is a new project each Thursday afternoon (California time), and it is due the following Monday at 11:59pm: disquiet.com/junto.
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0517 / Inside Out (Co/Exist 2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of civilization.
• 0516 / Outside In (Co/Exist 1 of 3) / The Assignment: Record a minute or two of nature.
• 0515 / Talking Cure / The Assignment: Write music for a psychotherapist's waiting room.
• 0514 / Chord Channels / The Assignment: Take two chords and connect them over time.
• 0513 / Ghost OST / The Assignment: Play that spooky music.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 517 consecutive weeks to date.