- The Informant! easily has more melody than do all other Steven Soderbergh films combined. Marvin Hamlisch will get many many awards. #
- Weekend agenda: maybe Godwaffle Noise, Domizil, and ICST here in San Francisco. … Last night: great Gail Wight talk down at Stanford. #
- Each generation manages to enjoy what the previous generation hated. Girl Talk's genius is enjoying so much of it simultaneously. #
- Love working on an alley, and in a city, where in the morning I can hear the cry of a tamale dealer and the rattle of her cart. Tasty, too. #
- Confirming suggestion by @boondesign that Gentleman Losers make a great soundtrack for the small office. #
- Top searches on Disquiet.com are always interesting. Today the top 5 were "dubstep," "beta cloud," "static," "moca," and "Buddha Machine." #
- Tonight: ramen. #
- Afternoon sounds: muffled conversation, printer whir, typing, creaking chairs, dishes in sink, footsteps, paper crumpling. #
- FM3/Throbbing Gristle device Gristleism is live: http://www.gristleism.com + Phillipe Starck iPhone app mix: http://radio.soundwalk.com/ #
- Input appreciated on Disquiet.com site-design upgrade. Great participation thus far going on here: http://is.gd/3zZRa #
- RIP, Art Ferrante (b. 1921), of film/TV piano duo Ferrante & Teicher: http://is.gd/3y3B1 #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0551 / The Bends / The Assignment: Get less strict about something you're strict about.
• 0550 / Abrupt Probability / Make music based on a chance graphic score.
• 0549 / Sidelines / The Assignment: Get intentional with stereo.
• 0548 / Drone Vox / The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.
• 0547 / Genre Melee / Combine two seemingly different genres.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 551 consecutive weeks to date.