- Weird. The "Conference DJ" (at a tech event) in the film Up in the Air is none other than Cut Chemist. #
- ♫ Link to aforementioned Dutch downtempo beatcraft: http://is.gd/5cyA2 #
- ♫ Afternoon listening: Netherlands's Piyojo (aka Rik Möhlmann) does up some sloppy, slow, slurry beats of found sounds and old synth noises. #
- RIP, Eric Woolfson (b. 1945), co-founder of Alan Parsons Project. I was never a fan, but the band connected classical & rock for many. #
- Trying out Evernote's Android app, currently in beta. OK so far. #
- ♫ Afternoon listening: electronic sustain + stringed kid's toy = 7 minutes of attenuated ambience by Kevin R. Seward: http://is.gd/5bue2 #
- Unsilent Night San Francisco: Sat, 12/19, 7:30pm, Mission Dolores Park. Details for SF and two dozen other cities: http://unsilentnight.com #
- Municipal lightning: the traffic-cam capturing cars (along with less easily identifiable bicycles) running a red light after dark. #
- Artist Gail Wight put a brain in a jar of honey, & made mandalas of ancient bones. My piece on her is in the new Nature: http://is.gd/5aArt #
- ♫ Afternoon listening: 12k's Taylor Deupree does up some gamelan extrapolations: http://is.gd/5aufv #
- I love the little orange dot on newly uploaded SoundCloud.com tracks telling me I haven't listened to them yet. #
- MP3 Discussion Group: Is Black to Comm's 'Alphabet 1968' genuinely psychedelic, speed drone, freak-forest-folk, or AOTA? http://is.gd/59E6z #
- Justin Green's classic comic 'Binky Brown Meets the Holy Virgin Mary' getting the McSweeney's hardcover treatment: http://is.gd/59lAN #
- Got my #gristleism box in the mail today. Just cannibalized a @buddhamachine for two AA batteries for the initial test run. #
- ♫ Afternoon listening: beautifully dreary track "Cecil Andrew" from Tom White's forthcoming album on label Hibernate: http://is.gd/58prB #
- Looks like rumors of the Technics 1200's imminent demise may be overstated, thanks to research by @tpendlebury via @dtauvdiodr & @stringbot #
- Is this true? Technics 1200s are being shut down? http://bit.ly/7SWDF5 RT @matterandrew @fbjournal #
- Morning sounds: the white noise of hard drives below, and of s distant plane above; gravity heater turns on briefly; a passing car. #
- Ninja Assassin, true to genre, is sonic-sensory overload, notably a sequence when the hero wears a blindfold for a full year while training. #
- The otherwise beautiful church bells are a nagging reminder that the day is (already) half over. #
Marc Weidenbaum founded the website Disquiet.com in 1996 at the intersection of sound, art, and technology, and since 2012 has moderated the Disquiet Junto, an active online community of weekly music/sonic projects. He has written for Nature, Boing Boing, The Wire, Pitchfork, and NewMusicBox, among other periodicals. He is the author of the 33 1⁄3 book on Aphex Twin’s classic album Selected Ambient Works Volume II. Read more about his sonic consultancy, teaching, sound art, and work in film, comics, and other media
• December 13, 2022: This day marks the 26th anniversary of the founding of Disquiet.com.
• January 6, 2023: This day marked the 11th anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• April 16, 2022: I participated in an online "talk show" by The Big Conversation Space (Niki Korth and Clémence de Montgolfier).
• March 11, 2022: I hosted a panel discussion between Mark Fell, Rian Treanor and James Bradbury in San Francisco as part of the Algorithmic Art Assembly (aaassembly.org) at Gray Area (grayarea.org).
• December 28, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the Instagr/am/bient compilation.
• January 6, 2021: This day marked the 10th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• December 13, 2021: This day marked the 25th (!) anniversary of the start of the Disquiet Junto music community.
• There are entries on the Disquiet Junto in the book The Music Production Cookbook: Ready-made Recipes for the Classroom (Oxford University Press), edited by Adam Patrick Bell. Ethan Hein wrote one, and I did, too.
• A chapter on the Disquiet Junto ("The Disquiet Junto as an Online Community of Practice," by Ethan Hein) appears in the book The Oxford Handbook of Social Media and Music Learning (Oxford University Press), edited by Stephanie Horsley, Janice Waldron, and Kari Veblen. (Details at oup.com.)
• My book on Aphex Twin's landmark 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, was published as part of the 33 1/3 series, an imprint of Bloomsbury. It has been translated into Japanese (2019) and Spanish (2018).
Since January 2012, the Disquiet Junto has been an ongoing weekly collaborative music-making community that employs creative constraints as a springboard for creativity. Subscribe to the announcement list (each Thursday), listen to tracks by participants from around the world, read the FAQ, and join in.
• 0551 / The Bends / The Assignment: Get less strict about something you're strict about.
• 0550 / Abrupt Probability / Make music based on a chance graphic score.
• 0549 / Sidelines / The Assignment: Get intentional with stereo.
• 0548 / Drone Vox / The Assignment: Make a drone using just your voice.
• 0547 / Genre Melee / Combine two seemingly different genres.
And there is a complete list of past projects, 551 consecutive weeks to date.